1998 Kia Sportage SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
Great car
By jshak43 on 09/04/12 15:33 PM (PDT)

1998 Kia Sportage SUV 4dr SUV

We got this car when it was 2 years old and never had any major flaw. It runs as good now as it did brand new.

REPAIRS ADDING UP!
By OUCH!! on 08/03/09 20:21 PM (PDT)

1998 Kia Sportage SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Sportage two years used- it had 39,000 miles-high. Owned the car 9 years and have only put 52,000 miles on. The dealer services do little to take care of the car-better to find a good independent. At 60,000 miles, it needed front wheel bearings packed,new timing belt,drive belts,& new battery. At 78,000 miles, the radiator overheated; I had replaced the radiator,thermostat,fan clutch,and a cooling system power flush-cost $1200. Car has always had poor, vibrating brakes that I've had repaired numerous times to no avail. The engine leaks oil - I've had this partially fixed twice for $$$ but still leaks. The 4 WD failed some time back but the indicator light says its working.

Gets me anywere in any conditions
By CP on 08/26/07 06:38 AM (PDT)

1998 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD

I have maintained the car's engine with oil changes and any recalls. Kia is good about informing owners for recalled parts. I never worry about getting home even with over a foot of snow on my long upward driveway. 4x4 is excellent. Torque for a 4 cylinder is ok and sustaining speed is excellent. I really like it and may drive it another two years unless offered at least 4K.

Good Value for a 4x4
By Joehello on 01/13/06 09:48 AM (PST)

1998 Kia Sportage SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

When I bought this car I knew I didn't spend $45,000 for a Lexus, $30,000 for an Explorer or even $24,000 for an Escape. When I keep that in perspective, I believe I got a very good car for the money. Has been very reliable, is awesome in 4WD for the bad CT winter weather, has decent ground clearance for off-roading, and gets me from point A to B with minimal fuss every day. Those who complain of a bumpy ride must have thought they were buying a car. This is not a car, this is a small truck, and is built like a truck. I bought this car new to the ridicule of my friends, but would buy another again. You get what you pay for, and I paid for what I needed and have been pleased with this decision.

What do you expect from this car?
By KennyRayRay on 10/27/05 14:17 PM (PDT)

1998 Kia Sportage SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I've driven my '98 Sportage from day 1. 7 years now. It's had a few problems. Most annoying was that I had to replace the starter about 4 times. $300 bucks a pop. It's a cheap, little car. You didn't spend $50K on a BMW. You spent $12K on a Kia. It's been a great car for me. If it died today, I got my money worth. Repairs and all. Most people don't post things on this site unless they are REALLY happy or REALLY upset with a car. I was tired of listening to people moan about this particular car that has been good to me.

Kia
By Jeckaroonie on 11/05/04 06:47 AM (PST)

Great first car! Awesome for an 18-23 year old

GOO FOR THE $$$$
By C.BASS on 04/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Kia Sportage SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Mine is a 2000 model,Great 2nd car for the household. When it snows the 4wd works great to get you through unplowed streets. The sportage also has ample room inside for a small family, two adults and two children.

Just My Luck
By Just My Luck on 02/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this after having a big Chevy SUV. Didn't need the big gas hog but this thing isn't that much better! The big problem is when it needs repairs it will cost you a fortune. I paid over $200.00 for a rebuilt alternator and it cost me $900.00 to have one of the catalytic converters replaced. Another problem is that auto parts stores don't carry parts for Kia's. Just when I think it's OK, something else goes wrong. I should have spent more up front for a Honda or Toyota.

VERY UNSAFE VEHICLE
By TJJTRUCKER on 01/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Kia Sportage SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

DO NOT BUY, VERY UNSAFE, HIT POLE AT 25 MPH, TOTALED CAR, SPEND 1 WEEK IN HOSPITAL, CAN NOT BELIEVE I PUT MY SON IN THIS CAR. SPENT MORE TIME IN SHOP THAN I DROVE IT. RUSTED OUT BACK END, 4 WD WENT OUT TWICE, DOOR HANDLES WOULD NOT WORK, FUEL TANK, FUEL PUMP, SPARK PLUGS, BATTERY, WIPERS, FRONT BRAKES, COIL WIRE, STARTER, WASHER NOZZLES, YOU NAME IT.

Not as many complaints
By SciGuy on 11/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Kia Sportage SUV 4dr SUV

I have had my Sportage for 6 years now, and despite one problem in the first year that they had trouble pinning down, I have had no major issues with my SUV. KIA gave me an extended warranty after the initial problem. The car rides great and fuel economy is the same as similar models. The factory CD player has lots of great features, and interior is very comfortable and user friendly. The styling caught a lot of eyes and there was quite a bit of interest in the car when I first got it. Plenty of cargo room, and headroom.