1997 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
Sportage EX 4x4 Time to let go of it.
By jkwh50a on 11/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this Kia new in 1997, except for the Check Engine light which came on all the time during the first 3- 4 years, I have not had any major problems. I currently have 107,000 miles on it and it still starts and runs good every day. Just oil changes every 5,000 miles and a front gear clutch at 59,000, covered by warrantee. I am now in the market for a new car and am considering KIA again. I feel I got my moneys worth out of this car. I did also replace the front windshield glass 3 times due to stones, maybe the Kia glass is too soft I dont know.

What a CUTE car!
By deniseprude on 11/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV 4WD

We love our Sportage! We've had it for 4-1/2 years, and the only (minor) problem has been the check enging light, which comes on and goes off at will. It has never been in for servicing except for the recommended 60,000 miles and a minor factory recall on the locks, which was fixed by the dealer in minutes. Does FANTASTIC in the snow! Everyone else is stranded, and I pop it into 4WD and take off! This is our 2nd Kia, and we've got over 120,000 on our Sephia and no problems with it either. For an inexpensive 4- cylinder, we've gotten our money's worth of fun! What do you expect for $16,000? (Ours was loaded).

Doesn't suck
By Ginsu68 on 07/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the Kia new. Have been relatively satisfied. Currently have 64,000 miles on it and have been places other mini-utes can't even dream of driving. It's great in the snow and off road. There has been one major issue - having to replace the radiator at 44,000 miles and one minor issue - a check engine light that is more of an annoyance than anything else. Every dealer I called says that unless it's flashing it's not a major problem. So, it comes on and off every once in a while and I ignore it. No sense replacing the computer for a minor annoyance.

Cross Country in a Kia
By Mare on 07/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV

We took a cross country trip in May this year from Florida to California. We drove to San Antonio, Carlsbad Caverns,NM, through Roswell and into Albuquerque. From there it was onto The Grand Canyon, the Hoover Dam, then Las Vegas and finally Coronado Island off of San Diego, Calif. The Kia Sportage EX took those mountains roads like it was made to do so. It never overheated during our trek through the deserts either. Came back along I-10 without a hitch. I'd do it again in this car without a worry.

this vehicle sucks
By daisey on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV

i have had this vehicle for only about a year and a half. replaced air,computer problems and muffler problems and also ignition problems. don't ever buy one

Do not purchase!
By Su on 04/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV

I've had problems with the Sportage Kia from the beginning. I bought the car new and within a year, it stalled, while driving, about 10 times. Engine makes a lot of noise. When going faster than 65mph, the windows shake due to the wind. Very unreliable car.