Used 1997 Kia Sportage SUV Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Kia Sportage SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

3 months, and it's dead
By Flintlock

1997 Kia Sportage SUV 4dr SUV

I bought the car used to replace my Geo Metro. Paid $1400 for it, thought it was a great deal. It had low miles for a reason. Drove it 1 month and had to replace the fuel pump, major ordeal. Ran for two more months, stalling shaking, bad fuel economy. Now the timing belt broke. I'll fix it, sell it, and drive my Saturn I had to buy because this Kia is such a piece of junk.

My girlfriend thinks it's cute.

Nightmare
By Elnur

1997 Kia Sportage SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Door key cylinder fell inside the door body the day I brought it home. I had nearly 20 visits to the dealership that year for that problem alone. There were times I was entering the car from the passenger side. 2nd year: O2 sensor went, front brakes cylinders (?) collapsed, service light came on and off. I developed tennis elbow using the Kia shift stick For as long as I owned the car: The car shook anytime over 45 mph - multiple visits to dealership. A horrible rattling sound under the driver's side - multiple visits to dealership. Could not get a clear view in the rear when reversing. Overall an annoying, frustrating and painful experience!

None.

Where should I start?

Great Little SUV
By Bob

1997 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV

This vehicle has been a proven performer. With the proper maintenance I have driven 83,000 miles without any repairs. (I forgot I did replace the horn.) It is a joy to drive and very comfortable on long trips. I would take this vehicle anywhere without worry.

That the back seats folded flat and the spare tire was under the car.

i hate it!!!
By Letitia S.

1997 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD

I got this car for christmas....it was, or it is my first car. at 16 years of age, i thought it was cute at first. then as i started to drive it, it made an awful squeaking sound in the morning, waking everyone up in the neighborhood. as i was moving from jacksonville, fla to houston, tx, we had to tow it because we knew that it wouldnt make it. so as we were towing it, my transfer case blew and it started to smoke. come to find out that it slipped into drive from neutral, and it blew a hole into the transfer case. now we have to replace it, but that cost $1000, which is half of what it costed in the first place. so we're just gonna buy a jeep wrangler, which is sooo much better than the kia.

it was a cute little thing, and it made me feel like i was going fast (and i was only going 25 lol)

Don't Buy This Car
By ElaineB

1997 Kia Sportage SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had so many poblems with this
car. I bought it new in 97. At 800
miles the catalstic converter blew up
causing the underside to catch fire,
and all wiring had to be replaced. At
12,000. their was a horrible exhaust
leak which after 4 trips to the dealer
for repair ended my family in the
hospital with a 24% oxygen rate in the
blood. Kia would not stand behind
their product even when contacted by
my attorny. The belts always squeek
and their has been a bad engine lifter
since day one. Locks, and windows
have never worked correctly since day
one. I have givin up and have never
been able to get kia to fix the
problems.