1997 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
3 months, and it's dead
By Flintlock on 07/20/06 14:30 PM (PDT)

1997 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV

I bought the car used to replace my Geo Metro. Paid $1400 for it, thought it was a great deal. It had low miles for a reason. Drove it 1 month and had to replace the fuel pump, major ordeal. Ran for two more months, stalling shaking, bad fuel economy. Now the timing belt broke. I'll fix it, sell it, and drive my Saturn I had to buy because this Kia is such a piece of junk.

Nightmare
By Elnur on 03/08/06 00:56 AM (PST)

1997 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

Door key cylinder fell inside the door body the day I brought it home. I had nearly 20 visits to the dealership that year for that problem alone. There were times I was entering the car from the passenger side. 2nd year: O2 sensor went, front brakes cylinders (?) collapsed, service light came on and off. I developed tennis elbow using the Kia shift stick For as long as I owned the car: The car shook anytime over 45 mph - multiple visits to dealership. A horrible rattling sound under the driver's side - multiple visits to dealership. Could not get a clear view in the rear when reversing. Overall an annoying, frustrating and painful experience!

Great Little SUV
By Bob on 10/31/05 14:58 PM (PST)

1997 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV

This vehicle has been a proven performer. With the proper maintenance I have driven 83,000 miles without any repairs. (I forgot I did replace the horn.) It is a joy to drive and very comfortable on long trips. I would take this vehicle anywhere without worry.

i hate it!!!
By Letitia S. on 05/28/05 19:56 PM (PDT)

1997 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV 4WD

I got this car for christmas....it was, or it is my first car. at 16 years of age, i thought it was cute at first. then as i started to drive it, it made an awful squeaking sound in the morning, waking everyone up in the neighborhood. as i was moving from jacksonville, fla to houston, tx, we had to tow it because we knew that it wouldnt make it. so as we were towing it, my transfer case blew and it started to smoke. come to find out that it slipped into drive from neutral, and it blew a hole into the transfer case. now we have to replace it, but that cost $1000, which is half of what it costed in the first place. so we're just gonna buy a jeep wrangler, which is sooo much better than the kia.

Don't Buy This Car
By ElaineB on 02/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had so many poblems with this car. I bought it new in 97. At 800 miles the catalstic converter blew up causing the underside to catch fire, and all wiring had to be replaced. At 12,000. their was a horrible exhaust leak which after 4 trips to the dealer for repair ended my family in the hospital with a 24% oxygen rate in the blood. Kia would not stand behind their product even when contacted by my attorny. The belts always squeek and their has been a bad engine lifter since day one. Locks, and windows have never worked correctly since day one. I have givin up and have never been able to get kia to fix the problems.

97 Kia--Poor Mechanical Quality
By Nathan4444 on 01/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the truck used because it was cheap, I have owned it less than 2 years. It has 62k miles on it. I just brought it in for the transmission to find out, Transmission is shot, head gasket is blown, and I need a new clutch. I also recently replaced the starter and had 4 wheel drive repaired. The truck never drove well to begin with. Very noisy and no power at all.

WORK CAR
By CHUCK1000 on 02/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV

SOME WIRE PROBLEMS, FUN TO DRIVE LOW PRICE

GOOD LITTLE TRUCK
By HANKSOLO on 12/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

IT IS A GOOD CAR IN GENERAL, VERY GOOD IN THE SNOW, THE WIND NOISE IS JUST ABOUT AVERAGE, AND WHEN GOING UP HILL WITH FOUR PEOPLE IN THE CAR DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT PUT THE A/C ON, THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ALWAYS ON AND THE BELTS SQUEEL NOT MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU CHANGE THEM, BUT REGARLES WE ARE HAPPY WITH IT...YOU CAN GO WRONG WITH IT

Kia Sportage
By aat on 12/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

No major problems! Resetting the radio was annoying; locating the horn's zone was annoying; Otherwise, a better than fair smaller SUV.

Sales Car
By John Mahon on 11/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Kia new. During the first 6 months I had a few problems. The air bag lights would not go out. I brought the vehicle for service about 6 or 7 times and finally they fixed it. Overall the vehicle has been reliable. I had the front bumper repainted(the paint flaked off) However, I used the vehicle for a sales position. I drove all over New Mexico, Utah, Idaho, Arizona, Wyoming, and Texas in this vehicle. The only thing I did was replace the brakes and change the oil. The vehicle ran great until 90,000 miles and then I had to replace the timing belt.