2009 Kia Spectra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
First Kia, First New Car Ever
By RG on 06/05/09 06:58 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Just purchased my first Kia and my first new car ever, drove it off the lot with 40 miles on the clock. I now have just over 1,000 miles on the car over the last 3 weeks. The car has mostly been used for city driving, my 35 mile R/T drive to work. So far I am very happy with the car. The gas mileage has been around 28 MPG in the city, but I do expect that to increase as the car continues to break in. One of the major selling points for me was the incredible warranty and the roadside assistance. The interior is a bit spartan but very well thought out. I love all the storage compartments in the car. The stereo is not bad for a stock system and I love my sunroof.

Kia Spectra Rocks!
By Mary on 06/04/09 18:09 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Our son crashed the family Ford Explorer. Used cars were high-priced. We decided to buy a Kia Spectra EX 4 door sedan for about $1500 more than it would have cost to get a 2005 used Explorer. Of course, we got a red one! I'm a car buff and this is one nice vehicle. Great gas mileage (averages over 28 mpg in mixed driving), peppy pick up, smooth ride, plenty of cupholders. The car came loaded with options - AC, automatic headlights, extra 12 volt chargers,and even an iPod port. Safety ratings on this car rival those of Toyota and Honda, and exceed those of the Ford Focus. All for about $14000, including delivery, tax and license fees. I love it!

Impulse Purchase
By First KIA on 05/22/09 11:06 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car handles the curves on the road very well. The gas mileage is excellent. I think it's even better than the Ford Focus. I like the fact that it has a sporty look. The spoiler is a great addition. I needed a car, check out the dealership and price and rode off into the sunset with a brand new vehicle.

Good highway car
By dexter on 04/11/09 20:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased this car to drive to school (260 miles round trip) four days a week. It gets 36-38 mpg and rides surprisingly well. Good build quality especially for the price. Never owned a kia before but if the quality of this car is indicative for the rest of their line I see an Amanti in my very near future.

What were they thinking
By Why on 04/08/09 20:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

As you approach this car it seems like a fairly handsome vehicle. It has clean lines, just a nice amount bling to it. Climb in and start going and you will quickly be disappointed. The wind noise is horrendous. That's ok though you can get used to it after a while, and the stereo can be turned up loud enough to overcome the noise. No, the worst part about this car is that in 2009 a car still has ABS as an option? What are they thinking? You get side airbags, but I'd rather avoid an accident by having ABS.

Satisfied overall
By mholly99 on 03/12/09 05:59 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I waited 5 months to write this review because I wanted time to adjust to the car. Overall, its a good value for the money. I also test drove the Corolla and Civic, but the low price and excellent warranty is the reason I chose the Spectra. Handling is responsive and the car meets my needs very well.

I'm Glad I Got A KIA Spectra EX
By JoshUNC on 12/26/08 10:49 AM (PST)

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

After comparing prices on the '07 to the new '09 KIA Spectra EX I decided to go with the '09 mainly based on price and having full warranty. I give this car straight 9s across the board... very happy with my purchase so far. I have even used the roadside service because I left my lights on and ran my battery dead. Called kia and they sent someone with no problems and limited info. They even called me back to make sure someone came to help. Will buy a KIA again!

A Step Up
By Derail on 10/30/08 19:41 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My previous car was an 03 Focus. The Spectra is much more zippy in acceleration, yet has the same size engine as the Focus. And fuel economy is 20 percent better. I like how spacious the engine compartment is, in terms of accessibility to hoses, belts, battery, etcetera. These items are easy to see and inspect. And replacement, when necessary, should not be difficult. What I miss about the Focus is the softer seats. The Kia seats are are quite rigid. What I have a concern about is the cable actuated gas cap door. Cables and plastic latches fail in cold climates. I may have to improvise a better system to insure I can refuel in the winter.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Kia Spectra Sedan in VA is:

$127 per month*