Used 2009 Kia Spectra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Spectra 2009 EX Sedan
By Tony Salvatore

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Car was bought used on lease return to dealer. Low mileage and "like new." Used primarily to commute to work and local/light out-of-town job travel. So far averages about 28 MPG. Vehicle handles well, very responsive, and perky. No problem merging into fast freway traffic or running 2-3 hours at turnpike speeds. Haven't tried it in snow but it is okay in torrential rains. Looked at same year Civics, Sentras, and Focuses (I like sub- compacts). Spectra offered best balance of price, features, and low mileage.

Favorite Features

Tight turning radius; easy to get in/out of, park; comfortable at highway speeds.

Suggested Improvements

4-wheel disc brakes/anti-lock brakes; unexposed radion antenna (these are moot as model was discontinued).

Bad Spectra
By kennyg

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is the worst car I have ever owned. I have an intermittent (has happened about 25 times) problem when the brake pedal will go soft while braking and the car takes a greater distance to stop. The dealer cannot replicate, this time they drove car 53 miles. KIA national does nothing to help me with this problem. I have had to pay for a rental car. The car is going to hurt someone, probably me. I will never buy another KIA. You get what you pay for.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the brakes

So Far So Good!
By MJ DeYoung

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new last August, so this is its first winter. So far so good! Honestly, no complaints (-:

Favorite Features

peppy, decent on gas, nice dashboard display

Suggested Improvements

include remote start (-:

Impressed with Kia
By Felt32

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I wanted a fuel efficient, inexpensive vehicle, with all of the up to date features (such as cruise control, CD, aux outlet) and I got all of that in this Kia. My only regret is that I had waited until the end of the year to get the Kia Forte!!

Favorite Features

Fuel, Drive, Overall Cost, and Warranty

Suggested Improvements

None. I just wish I had waited to get the Forte Koup!

Best for the money
By Mister Big

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I get 30 plus mpg around town, and got 37 mpg on a 1000 mile trip of hiway and city,and that's with automatic transmission. Bad stuff: Not the best paint job. Paint surface is rough down near and on the rocker panels, and the paint chips easily; ABS, floor mats are not standard. Good stuff: Peppy performance, great gas mileage; cool, intuitive dashboard controls; comfy seats (easy on my sciatica); solid warranty; roomy trunk; stylish, at least to my eyes. The Spectra is, I think, the best value out there. To get anything even slightly better, you'd have to pay lots more. I love my Spectra!