2009 Kia Spectra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
Don't Underestimate the KIA Spectra
By Tom R. on 11/03/09 19:40 PM (PST)

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Having traded in a 2002 Hyundai Elantra for my KIA Spectra, I expected some close similarities in these Korean cousins. My expectations were pleasantly met in getting behind the wheel of this great little economy car. For my Cash-for-Clunkers allowance for a 1999 Isuzu Trooper and my Hyundai trade-in, I drove away in my KIA Spectra EX for $10,000, including tax, title and registration. I have enjoyed the KIA Spectra experience from the moment I pulled off the dealer's lot.

really impressed so far
By savital on 08/06/09 12:12 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Haven't owned it long, but so far more impressive than expected. Plenty of pep and super-quiet for the mondo freeway driving I do. Amazing fuel economy. Forget the EPA rating, I get 34mpg in mixed driving with the AC on most of the time! Picked it up for less than $11,000, with AC, CD and auto included. Lots of room, both front and back seats. Yes, the exterior and interior are simple, plain vanilla. I like that; pragmatism rules. And I'll agree that this is less solidly made than a Toyota. But for $5,000 less, well worth it! The lack of ABS, though, is shameful. All cars should have ABS standard these days; law should require it. CU gives good reliability ratings.

Great Value
By Kev.NY on 07/28/09 00:29 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle this past June so wanted to give it time before passing judgement. The peace of mind of having such a great warranty is priceless, and the added value of such a good MPG vehicle (getting 29 to 34) was an important factor. The controls are in easy reach, and the vehicle drives very comfortably. The interior is spacious and overall very pleasant to drive. I purchased the gold color with black and tan interior which gives off a mature but stylish feel to the vehicle. I never thought I would say this but so far this vehicle from Kia is a pleasure to drive.

Glad I bought this car
By Makeda on 07/10/09 08:29 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my very first car and I know I made a great choice. It takes less than $25 to fill up my tank and I am good for the rest of the week. The interior is comfortable and I get compliments on the exterior. For a first car or something that in inexpensive and good to drive get this car. It is also roomy for my family of four.

great quality and great mpg for money
By glen on 07/09/09 07:02 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I was skeptical at first and concerned that i might not get 30 mpg. Have only had short time but first fill up 29.5 mpg and second fill up 32.2 mpg in mixed driving. Drives very smooth and handles well and looking forward to great mpg once it breaks in.

Life Saver
By DrAwkward on 07/07/09 10:06 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car saved my life, along with three passengers, when a drunk driver crossed into our lane. Its responsive handling allowed us to avoid a head-on collision, and the side-airbags minimized the seriousness of our injuries. Everyone in the accident thanked me for choosing this car after putting its safety to the test.

Drastic change puts it in perspective
By LakeTravis on 07/06/09 12:09 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in a Suburban for a Spectra, so the shock value alone took some getting used to. Overall, this is a great little car. Mechanically engineered well, great gas mileage (I averaged 34mpg the first weekend, 300 miles of mixed use), looks pretty decent parked next to a Nissan or Toyota. The "carpet" is more like some sort of fuzzy cardboard, we'll see how the rest of the interior holds up over the next 3-4 years. Overall, for the price I don't think you can beat this car in terms of warranty, safety, features, and performance. Sticker on mine was $17,250 - drove away for $10K after trading in a 1996 Suburban with 230K miles. Yeah, I keep them for a long time!

Great Value KIA
By nolarobert on 07/02/09 02:44 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is a new purchase. I was able to get the "Copperhead" color, so the car looks sharp & it has fog lights and a rear spoiler. Before you laugh at the spoiler, I was cruising the I-10 at 105 mph & this engine was up to the task. At 85 mph & below the cabin noise was minimal. I took some local back roads and the suspension was solid and the car felt glued to the road even as I took the curves at a goodly amount of speed. The brakes bring the car to a quick stop with no spongy fade. I look forward to taking my new Spectra on a long road trip to visit family in TN. The 700 mile journey will allow me to wring this car out & see if it holds up for the 11 hour drive.

Happy with Kia
By Rick on 07/01/09 14:07 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Looking for an inexpensive new car? Look no further. I just purchased the Spectra and couldn't be happier. Great warranty, fun to drive, and comfortable, compaired to my SUV, the gas guage doesn't move. Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase, and the Kia network of services.

Great Car for the Money
By desertbob on 06/08/09 19:39 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

No flaws... everything works as advertised. Looking forward to my first long-distance RoadTrip in this car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Kia Spectra Sedan in VA is:

$127 per month*