Used 2009 Kia Spectra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Love the car
By puppywhipsers

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Spectra 8 months ago with barely over 8,000 miles on it, I bought it because of the manual transmission and so far I love the car. The only trouble I have experienced is the cruise control won't always set, it goes to the dealership on Monday. Contrary to other reviews I get excellent mileage on my KIA. I commute 55 miles one way to work, I have gotten anywhere from 30-38 mpg depending on my driving habits (if you know what I am saying ;)). My in town mpg is even better, I regularly get 40+ mpg and have had as high as 52mpg in town. I recalculated 3x because I couldn't believe it! It's a great car and with the sunroof & factory rear spoiler and on it, it looks sporty too!

Favorite Features

>I love the manual transmission and mpg's. >The sunroof and spoiler give the car a sporty look. >It's quite roomy for a small car. >Price is very affordable. >Safety features, front and side airbags. >Experience with Kia dealerships has been easy and very friendly. >Warranty coverage.

Suggested Improvements

nicer wheels, for the sporty look. (appeals to the younger and the young at heart)

Can't Stand This Car
By soldiermusic

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned several cars in my driving years and I can look back fondly on various aspects of pretty much all of them. This car is an unfortunate exception. I absolutley loathe this car. It is very easy to oversteer and difficult to get back on track if you need to make a sudden swerve. The mileage is substandard. It gets about 26mpg highway. (My Sedona mini-van gets 22-23.) Please note I am not a leadfoot driver and I don't make hard accelerations. I'm pretty easy on my cars. Also, the driver's seat is worse that sitting on a wagon bench. At least a covered wagon doesn't have two bars right in line with my anatomy. And no, I'm not a very large or old person.

Favorite Features

It was cheap and has a decent warranty.

Suggested Improvements

It would be fine-ish if not used for long distance driving. I have a 65 mile commute to work so 26mpg costs me alot of money compared to my old beat up Civic that still got 36 with an engine that was shot. The seats are downright painful if seated for more than a short distance, so it would be great to see them overhaul the seat design. I have not owned this car for long, so I can't say anything about reliability, but I can say I will be getting rid of this car ASAP!!!

Totaled after one accident
By chintanshah

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car was pretty great for when I had it. I bought it used last year. There were no major issues and it was an overall awesome car. Unfortunately, I got into an accident a couple of months ago where someone hit my front right wheel/door side head on. I was going about 40-50 and he had just pulled out, so I'd say about 15 or so. The damage didn't look too terrible except that the wheel and door were bent inward, the center dashboard popped out, and the passenger airbag broke the windshield (no glass was actually shattered). It turned out that the frame ended up being twisted inside along with the other problems I mentioned which totaled it out. My passenger and I were safe at least!

Favorite Features

The aux port in the car was nice, no need to bring CDs. Overall, a really smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Make the passenger airbag not break the windshield on deployment. Airbags alone are expensive to replace!

Great Car
By Ken Ross

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Kia Spectra Ex Sedan (4) days ago and I really like it. I haven't had it very long and I haven't taken it for a long drive yet. I feel that the car was a great buy.

Favorite Features

Everything!

Suggested Improvements

Nothing yet!

First new car ever, Spectra EX
By Trevor Totman

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I haven't had my Spectra for very long, but so far it has been the best car I've owned. It's quite zippy for a grocery getter,even with it being an automatic transmission. Stereo system(hey, I'm 24, this is important stuff!) is great. I love that I've got an auxillary jack and I love the hidden charger in the middle console. It helps keep wires out of the way, and you can set your MP3 player or iPod/iPhone inside to keep it from sliding all over the car. The DOHC is a nice touch, but I wish the fuel economy could be a hair better. All in all, a nice roomy car that is incredibly affordable and great for the post college kid or the starting family.

Favorite Features

Stereo, great standard brakes(sorry haters, take care of your car or don't go to a shady dealer), great acceleration and wonderfully roomy with all sorts of nooks and crannies.

Suggested Improvements

Antilock brakes should be standard, I suppose this doesn't matter anymore though. Better fuel economy