2009 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
Love the car
By puppywhipsers on 05/04/12 03:59 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Spectra 8 months ago with barely over 8,000 miles on it, I bought it because of the manual transmission and so far I love the car. The only trouble I have experienced is the cruise control won't always set, it goes to the dealership on Monday. Contrary to other reviews I get excellent mileage on my KIA. I commute 55 miles one way to work, I have gotten anywhere from 30-38 mpg depending on my driving habits (if you know what I am saying ;)). My in town mpg is even better, I regularly get 40+ mpg and have had as high as 52mpg in town. I recalculated 3x because I couldn't believe it! It's a great car and with the sunroof & factory rear spoiler and on it, it looks sporty too!

Can't Stand This Car
By soldiermusic on 05/02/11 10:55 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned several cars in my driving years and I can look back fondly on various aspects of pretty much all of them. This car is an unfortunate exception. I absolutley loathe this car. It is very easy to oversteer and difficult to get back on track if you need to make a sudden swerve. The mileage is substandard. It gets about 26mpg highway. (My Sedona mini-van gets 22-23.) Please note I am not a leadfoot driver and I don't make hard accelerations. I'm pretty easy on my cars. Also, the driver's seat is worse that sitting on a wagon bench. At least a covered wagon doesn't have two bars right in line with my anatomy. And no, I'm not a very large or old person.

Totaled after one accident
By chintanshah on 04/06/11 10:44 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car was pretty great for when I had it. I bought it used last year. There were no major issues and it was an overall awesome car. Unfortunately, I got into an accident a couple of months ago where someone hit my front right wheel/door side head on. I was going about 40-50 and he had just pulled out, so I'd say about 15 or so. The damage didn't look too terrible except that the wheel and door were bent inward, the center dashboard popped out, and the passenger airbag broke the windshield (no glass was actually shattered). It turned out that the frame ended up being twisted inside along with the other problems I mentioned which totaled it out. My passenger and I were safe at least!

Great Car
By Ken Ross on 06/19/10 13:56 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Kia Spectra Ex Sedan (4) days ago and I really like it. I haven't had it very long and I haven't taken it for a long drive yet. I feel that the car was a great buy.

First new car ever, Spectra EX
By Trevor Totman on 06/10/10 15:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I haven't had my Spectra for very long, but so far it has been the best car I've owned. It's quite zippy for a grocery getter,even with it being an automatic transmission. Stereo system(hey, I'm 24, this is important stuff!) is great. I love that I've got an auxillary jack and I love the hidden charger in the middle console. It helps keep wires out of the way, and you can set your MP3 player or iPod/iPhone inside to keep it from sliding all over the car. The DOHC is a nice touch, but I wish the fuel economy could be a hair better. All in all, a nice roomy car that is incredibly affordable and great for the post college kid or the starting family.

Spectra 2009 EX Sedan
By Tony Salvatore on 04/27/10 12:09 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Car was bought used on lease return to dealer. Low mileage and "like new." Used primarily to commute to work and local/light out-of-town job travel. So far averages about 28 MPG. Vehicle handles well, very responsive, and perky. No problem merging into fast freway traffic or running 2-3 hours at turnpike speeds. Haven't tried it in snow but it is okay in torrential rains. Looked at same year Civics, Sentras, and Focuses (I like sub- compacts). Spectra offered best balance of price, features, and low mileage.

Bad Spectra
By kennyg on 03/26/10 13:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is the worst car I have ever owned. I have an intermittent (has happened about 25 times) problem when the brake pedal will go soft while braking and the car takes a greater distance to stop. The dealer cannot replicate, this time they drove car 53 miles. KIA national does nothing to help me with this problem. I have had to pay for a rental car. The car is going to hurt someone, probably me. I will never buy another KIA. You get what you pay for.

So Far So Good!
By MJ DeYoung on 02/15/10 14:55 PM (PST)

2009 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new last August, so this is its first winter. So far so good! Honestly, no complaints (-:

Impressed with Kia
By Felt32 on 02/07/10 05:19 AM (PST)

2009 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I wanted a fuel efficient, inexpensive vehicle, with all of the up to date features (such as cruise control, CD, aux outlet) and I got all of that in this Kia. My only regret is that I had waited until the end of the year to get the Kia Forte!!

Best for the money
By Mister Big on 02/01/10 04:31 AM (PST)

2009 Kia Spectra LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I get 30 plus mpg around town, and got 37 mpg on a 1000 mile trip of hiway and city,and that's with automatic transmission. Bad stuff: Not the best paint job. Paint surface is rough down near and on the rocker panels, and the paint chips easily; ABS, floor mats are not standard. Good stuff: Peppy performance, great gas mileage; cool, intuitive dashboard controls; comfy seats (easy on my sciatica); solid warranty; roomy trunk; stylish, at least to my eyes. The Spectra is, I think, the best value out there. To get anything even slightly better, you'd have to pay lots more. I love my Spectra!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Kia Spectra in VA is:

$127 per month*