Used 2008 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

2008 Kia Spectra

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Crushed Spectra replaced with a Spectra
By BJM

2008 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I originally bought a Spectra in 2004 and really like it. I never had a problem with it until the day an SUV coming at me in the opposite lane was hit by a car that ran a stop sign, lost control, came into my lane and wiped me out. My Spectra was totaled. Although I was happy with my Spectra, I went to CarMax to see what else was out there. I drove a half a dozen cars or so, and nothing was better than what I had. I purchased another Spectra and have been very happy with it. I must have gotten a good one because I routinely get just over 40 miles to the gal. The comment I get most when people get in my car is "This is a KIA?" in an unbelieving tone.

Favorite Features

Remote door locks. I like that I have cruise control, even with a stick shift. Gas mileage is terrific. I like the center console design... it has two separate compartments that I tend to use a lot. I like the fact that I know I have all those airbags in the car for me and my passengers.

Suggested Improvements

Speakers could be a little better.

unexpected... an inexpensive, great car
By midwest customer

2008 Kia Spectra SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Perfect for my purposes. Lots of city driving with the occasional cross country drive. I was blown away when I drove almost 500 miles at about 75mph before needing gas. The roomy interior is perfect as I often have a full car. Safety is a huge issue for me and I always feel good in this car. ABS served me well while driving through N.E. snowstorms. The cruise control is great too. Drives very smoothly, and the CD changer and iPod hookup are great for long drives. I love being able to have my GPS, cell phone charger, and iPod all plugged in at the same time. I have had this car for 4 months and have received tons of compliments.

Favorite Features

Nice exterior and interior, stainless steel pedals, and also, the roadside assistance people were extremely helpful&friendly when my car got stuck in a snowbank...I'm a young woman and was traveling alone when it got stuck on the thruway, and they stayed on the phone with me until I calmed down

Suggested Improvements

Rear defrost & windshield wiper, compass on rear view mirror, and also, for whatever reason, it seems to get stuck in the snow a lot, although this could be driver error :). I've had similar sized sedans in similar conditions and I don't know why, but it seems to need a good push much more often

2008 Kia Spectra5 SX
By Choncer

2008 Kia Spectra Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The Spectra5 is a very fun spunky car that can't quite out-accelerate other like makes, at higher speeds it dominates. Turning and cornering is exceptional, sound system is lacking in quality, but replacing the door speakers makes a world of difference. Controls are very functional and convenient, construction is solid. After market accessories are limited, but that's to be expected with a new vehicle. Not fond of the fact that the glovebox doesn't lock. When rear seats are folded down though, all kinds of rear space. I can't say enough good things about this car.

Favorite Features

Price, suspension, turning, high quality stock tires, decent acceleration, awesome top speeds, easily modified stereo (rear speakers excluded).

Suggested Improvements

Make rear speakers more accessible, use a different plastic on interior body panels that doesn't scuff as easily, more durable carpet especially in the trunk area.

My Kia
By uptomischief

2008 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Kia about a week. What a fun car. It has excellent pick up and you feel safe scooting out in traffic. The car is very comfortable. Easy to maneuver the seat and tilt wheel to make it comfortable. The keyless entry is great. It has a ton of trunk space. Inside is roomy enough for four people. It has a lot of extras you would not expect such as place to plug in ipod, sturdy cup holders including ones in back seat, CD player, etc. What I found amazing was that this car had all these extras but cruise control is not standard. Overall, this is a great car. It is fun and easy to drive, very economical, comfortable, reliable, safe, and less expensive than the competition

Favorite Features

Everything is in such easy reach for the driver. Very, very safe car.

Suggested Improvements

Good stereo is included but it could be better in terms of sound.

Great Commuter Car - Thumbs UP!
By billddrummer

2008 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle seeking reasonable price point and good fuel economy. The car delivers both with excellent results! I have daily multi-destination commutes and put nearly 600 miles/week on this vehicle among 3 drivers. We routinely get 30+ miles/gallon in mixed driving, and the car is comfortable for all of us, ranging from 5'5" to over 6 feet. Seats are wide enough for middle-aged spread, and pickup in lower gears is exceptional. No complaints from this happy owner! Check this out before buying a Honda or Toyota Corolla.

Favorite Features

Dashboard layout, ergonomics, lumbar support for driver's seat, folding rear seats, additional cupholders in door pockets, safety features (side curtain airbags a rarity at this price point). Since the crash testing, I think the company added an extra bulkhead for rear crash protection.

Suggested Improvements

Standard ABS, better battery.