Used 2008 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Great Band For Your Buck!
By williamkreth

2008 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i have owned 2 kias besides this one, and once again kia has surprised me, with their great cars they manufacture! i have been a long time kia owner, and that is not going to change, i drive alot usually 25,000 miles a year! and the kias hold up just fine! and i love their basic yet stylish designs and layouts!

the engine isnt a little pansy it actually has some get up and go

improve the back end, it looks a little weird

Will never buy a Kia again!!
By Heather

2008 Kia Spectra LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I do enjoy by Kia. I got it with 12 miles on it in May 08. I don't drive it very much, just to work. But I've had it in the shop 3 time. My kia is a manual and I think thats the problem. the 1st 2 times it was in the shop was 4 months after I got it. It would not go into reverse.Well a new transmission and cluch later the service department said it was "Fixed". WRONG at 11months old sure enough its doing it again so i take it to the delership and they say nothing is wrong. Am I the only person having trouble???

2008 Kia Spectra
By Bob E.

2008 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Overall the vehicle has done what I needed and expected. Power is fine, mileage was about 30-31 mpg until I reached 25000 miles then I tipped 38mpg a few times depending upon passenger content, and city/highway percentage of driving when tracking the mpg of a tank of fuel. Sound system is good with nice bass and crisp highs. My tires wore out at 27000 miles to the wear bars even though I kept pressure monitored closely and rotated according to recommendations, but you know how the new car new tires are worse mileage than the ones you replace them with! The only thing would keep me from another spectra purchase is the timing belt has terrible moaning noise in the engine. Dlr says its fine!

Mileage per gallon, Stereo system has good sound, adequate power to get into traffic, leg room for a small car, maneuverability in traffic and parking lot is good.

Get rid of the terrible relentless moaning, whining, noise from the engines timing belt area!!! Ive sat at a light and listened to the sound of an old washing machine wharring for 27000 miles increasing to a loud whirrr when accelerating. Thank you for the nice sounding radio to turn up louder!

First and Last Kia
By stoneattic

2008 Kia Spectra Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

If you use the stereo aux with a satellite radio or charging ipod there is a very noticeable alternator whine. The dealer had it twice, now claims that's the way it's supposed to work. If you are going to have a convenience feature it should work properly. As annoying as this is the real clincher is that the parking lights will go on by themselves in the middle of the night for no reason, draining the battery. I'm not the only one with this. Search Kia forums and you will find many with the same issue. Kia claims a new BCM will fix it, but it hasn't corrected mine. Then there's the goofy shift points, but there's not enough room to list all of my complaints. Dealer is awful too.

Styling is nice and is overall a nice looking car. Except for the 1-2 gear shifting it's not bad to drive.

Fix the light issue or have a buzzer when the lights are left in the auto/on position. Filter/isolate the power ports so the aux port is useful. Correct the goofy shifting/gearing. It pulls from a stop well then falls on it's face. Figure out what causes that horrible wind noise if there's crosswind

Unresolved Problems
By Peggy

2008 Kia Spectra Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the Spectra5 for gas mileage reasons and it was a cute car. It was great for the first 4.5 months - consistently 30 to 35mpg and the car was so quiet stopped or running. After that I get 15 to 20mpg with no changes to driving habits, route traveled or where gas purchased and the car is a lot louder. Service dept blames it on weather, car breaking in or just say they don't know and no attempt to look it over. It started at the end of summer before cold started. Make sure that you buy from a dealer that cares. I should have kept my SVU - same gas mileage and no car payment.

It is fun to drive, handles well and has a lot of room inside for a small car.

Better and more knowledgable service departments. There is a problem that I'm sure can be fixed and the car would be great again.