2008 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
What a fun surprise!
By Kia Mia on 11/26/08 02:52 AM (PST)

2008 Kia Spectra Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I wasn't looking for a Kia when I went to this dealership. A salesman talked me into test driving a Spectra 5. I was totally surprised at how quiet and smooth this vehicle was. Road noise was absolutely minimal! The great looking interior is very comfortable. All instruments and accessories are easy to use while driving. I drove this car cross country twice and it was very comfortable the whole way. The car is very stylish. I've had numerous people inquiring about it with great interest. My wife liked the car so much that I gave it to her and bought another one, identical to it! The one thing I would change would be to have head rests that pivot from front to back. What a treat!

Kia Spectra-Thumbs Up!
By KiaFan on 11/16/08 20:06 PM (PST)

2008 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I drove my Kia Spectra EX Automatic over 3700 miles in Western Canada and USA after buying one month before. Excellent comfort, cruise control was flawless, held the road well, achieved average of 35 mpg (39 in one stretch), great brakes. Plenty adequate pickup on entering a freeway. Very quiet engine at highway speed of 70 or at idle (wondered if in was running while waiting at a stop sign). The finish and fit is excellent. The price was right - at least $3000 less than a Corolla or Civic or Jetta. I also checked it to its sister/brother the Hyundai Elantra... compares well, same engine, nicer interior. Stereo/CD radio very good. Great warranty.

Nice car for the money
By ikillbugs on 10/13/08 20:34 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2008 Kia used but with very few miles on it. I love the looks and the overall ride is excellent, even at 80 mph on the interstate (although past 80 it does get a bit shaky). I got the EX model, and given a choice (after the fact) I would certainly look for an SX model with the sportier suspension. It does not handle that well in tight corners, but I bought it for a commuter, not a race car. I rated it at 8 for BUILD QUALITY and RELIABILITY simply because I just don't know. I have only had the car a month. So far so good ;-)

My next car will be a Kia
By Derrick on 10/06/08 12:47 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Spectra SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love it. It looks great in a parking lot and sexy on the road! My friends and family all want to drive it and wish their car was a kia. I love my spectra sx!

Buyer's Remorse
By James on 10/05/08 14:09 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Spectra SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle is really uncomfortable to drive for more than an hour. The driver's seat curves up sharply jabbing into your rear end. I'm not a skinny guy, but by no means large either. But the real disappointment is in the 23 mpg avg I'm getting. Mostly highway, this is very disappointing in a car this size. Now one nice thing is that the controls are easy to reach. Second, this car really has some kick. It will jump out in traffic like a 6 cylinder vehicle if you need to. But it fails to be a good ride and to be economical to drive.

Outstanding! Move over Toyota!
By joe on 09/17/08 09:16 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Spectra Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Before you pay more for a Toyota, Honda,etc, you owe it to yourself to look at the Kia! I bought this car a month ago and i can't say enough good about it. Style and features outside are great! Interior features and style, looks and feels awesome, then we get to the best part. This car handles and drives incredibly! I have the SX model which has the sport tuned suspension and it handles and feels like a sports car! I don't understand edmunds review about the motor. They say it gets noisy at high rpm, not mine! The 2.0 in this car has plenty of power and does not require high rev's to push or pass! I have the 5 speed manual, it's great! Don't overlook the Kia, you'll just pay more!

Bought another
By B.J. Miller on 09/03/08 05:25 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I originally had a 2006 Spectra which was totaled in an accident when someone lost control of their SUV after they were hit by someone who ran a stop sign. Fortunately the airbag worked well. I was very happy with my 2006 Spectra but before I purchased another one, I wanted to see what other options I had. I drove every make and model out there and could find nothing else that I was more comfortable in or satisfied with than the Spectra, so I promptly purchased another one and have not had, even for a second, any regrets. I even turned down a purchase of a 2005 Jaguar that was selling for the same price as the Spectra. I found reviews of the Spectra to be more reliable than the Jag.

Great purchase
By Keepintune on 08/23/08 19:34 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Spectra Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Traded in a Ford Explorer XLT due to gas mileage. I am a piano technician and have to carry tools at all times. This was a great choice after searching for 3 months. Compared American, Japanese and Korean cars. I wanted the Prius, but there were none to be had, and then dealers were selling for "market price". I made a great choice for me. I am 6'3" and above 250 lbs. Comfort is there for leg room, but to me, seat surfaces are not soft enough. That being my only complaint of the inside, everything else is great. I love the stereo-great sound and flexibility; cd changer, ipod & xm to Aux input is fabulous. Easy to work. Car well laid out. Easy to read instruments.

Great Buy!
By Tina on 08/13/08 17:52 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Spectra SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first new car and I don't think I could have done any better! Smooth driving and great gas mileage.

Bargain Small Car
By Rob on 07/27/08 06:01 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is a fine small car that has all of the features you need at a price considerably less than the Japanese makes. Quality of the major Korean brands has improved markedly over the last 15 to 20 years and they are almost on par with the major Japanese brands. The ride is surprisingly smooth and quiet. Engine power is adequate but no "ball of fire". Handling is ok but this is no sports car. This is a great first car for a teen or a second car for getting around town. With rebates the selling price of this car was $14,200 + TTL vs. a list price of $16,700. That is a strong price vs. what late model used cars are selling for without the strong factory warranty.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Kia Spectra in NJ is:

$238 per month*