Used 2008 Kia Spectra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

2008 Kia Spectra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Great Band For Your Buck!
By williamkreth

2008 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i have owned 2 kias besides this one, and once again kia has surprised me, with their great cars they manufacture! i have been a long time kia owner, and that is not going to change, i drive alot usually 25,000 miles a year! and the kias hold up just fine! and i love their basic yet stylish designs and layouts!

Favorite Features

the engine isnt a little pansy it actually has some get up and go

Suggested Improvements

improve the back end, it looks a little weird

Will never buy a Kia again!!
By Heather

2008 Kia Spectra Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I do enjoy by Kia. I got it with 12 miles on it in May 08. I don't drive it very much, just to work. But I've had it in the shop 3 time. My kia is a manual and I think thats the problem. the 1st 2 times it was in the shop was 4 months after I got it. It would not go into reverse.Well a new transmission and cluch later the service department said it was "Fixed". WRONG at 11months old sure enough its doing it again so i take it to the delership and they say nothing is wrong. Am I the only person having trouble???

2008 Kia Spectra
By Bob E.

2008 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Overall the vehicle has done what I needed and expected. Power is fine, mileage was about 30-31 mpg until I reached 25000 miles then I tipped 38mpg a few times depending upon passenger content, and city/highway percentage of driving when tracking the mpg of a tank of fuel. Sound system is good with nice bass and crisp highs. My tires wore out at 27000 miles to the wear bars even though I kept pressure monitored closely and rotated according to recommendations, but you know how the new car new tires are worse mileage than the ones you replace them with! The only thing would keep me from another spectra purchase is the timing belt has terrible moaning noise in the engine. Dlr says its fine!

Favorite Features

Mileage per gallon, Stereo system has good sound, adequate power to get into traffic, leg room for a small car, maneuverability in traffic and parking lot is good.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the terrible relentless moaning, whining, noise from the engines timing belt area!!! Ive sat at a light and listened to the sound of an old washing machine wharring for 27000 miles increasing to a loud whirrr when accelerating. Thank you for the nice sounding radio to turn up louder!

Parking lights stay on sometimes
By Don

2008 Kia Spectra Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought car 6 mo. ago, had this problem since I bought car, dealer said if it doesn't happen all the time, they couldn't fix it. That was fine in the summer but when I had to have it jumped 3 times in the parking lot at work in -10, that's a problem. Brought it back, still wouldn't fix it. Car is 6 mo. old, 13,000 miles, lost 6 grand in value. My mpg were 24-33 thats terrible. My folks' big Buick gets 30 and it's a nice ride, not like this.

Favorite Features

Cruise control

Suggested Improvements

Get better service, give out loaner cars if service will take 4 hours or more.

Great car and a great value
By qcspectra

2008 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new last summer. Great build quality and materials, especially at this price. Have previously owned 8 Hondas and 2 Mazdas, and this Spectra easily compares to them. My EX w/manual transmission has averaged 31 in mixed driving (65/35 city/hwy), well over the 23/30 EPA rating. Shopped the '08 Civic, Mazda3, Corolla, Elantra, and Cobalt.

Favorite Features

Quiet in town and on the hwy. Great mpg. Fun to drive with smooth manual transmission. Great stereo w/aux jack for my oldest son's MP3 player. Roomy and comfortable enough for road trips with my wife and 2 kids.

Suggested Improvements

Only 2 things: (1) Make anti-lock brakes available on all trim levels. (2) The manual height adjuster on the driver's seat tips the seat forward as it goes up. It would be nice if the seat itself stayed level.