2008 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
Spectra
By KIA on 02/25/10 12:42 PM (PST)

2008 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Spectra, new. The gas mileage is great! I usually get 26 mpg around town; 39 mgp highway. It's the perfect car for around town, but a little small for interstate driving. It has great pick up and handles turns well.

Not bad for the money
By Bryan on 12/29/09 20:41 PM (PST)

2008 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am a young driver(21) bought this when I was 19(actually still making payments) and this has been a great car. The 5 speed really lets you open up the engine and get the most out of it and I wouldn't have it any other way. Mine has developed a rather strange problem lately, the rear floorboards are getting soaked but there is no leake up top, so I am guessing water is coming in from the bottom? This will be my first experience with KIA customer service so I hope they treat me well and I get my car back soon. This seems like a rare problem so I won't blame the car just yet. Overall, great car for the money hands down.

So Happy
By Cathy on 12/15/09 17:44 PM (PST)

2008 Kia Spectra Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I'm so happy that I bought this car. I drive 45mins to and from work every day and is great on gas. I love is car.

not worth it
By John C on 07/13/09 06:03 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Spectra Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

the gas mileage was disappointing.. The Spectra stared to fall apart in a year.. the service department was horrible.. I was hoping it would hold up and the dealership would honor the warranty but after taking it in three times for the door on the gas cap, they said it was a poor design and only cleaned it again.. and were so rude! they said I must have broken it and the seat belt that wouldn't retract.. the side door wouldn't always close.. and I always smelt something burning.. I wasn't planning to sell it in a year after buying new but lost confidence in this car and the warranty.. it is very top heavy and not a good car to drive in the real world.. I took a huge loss with Kia..

Great Car
By hdwestmont on 07/06/09 01:51 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Spectra Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in February and since then have already put over 7,000 miles on it. I drive a lot! I've never gotten worse than 27 mpg and have gotten as good as 38, and trust me, I don't drive like an old woman and that's usually with the AC on too. Was planning on buying an American car, but after endless test drives, this car had more get up and go (compared to Pontiac Vibe, Dodge Caliber). I also liked it better than the Nissan Versa (way over priced) and the Toyota Matrix (also way over priced). All in all, It's been a great car, got more options for less money and it doesn't look like a pregnant roller skate! =)

Great Band For Your Buck!
By williamkreth on 06/02/09 20:27 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i have owned 2 kias besides this one, and once again kia has surprised me, with their great cars they manufacture! i have been a long time kia owner, and that is not going to change, i drive alot usually 25,000 miles a year! and the kias hold up just fine! and i love their basic yet stylish designs and layouts!

Will never buy a Kia again!!
By Heather on 06/02/09 18:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Spectra LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I do enjoy by Kia. I got it with 12 miles on it in May 08. I don't drive it very much, just to work. But I've had it in the shop 3 time. My kia is a manual and I think thats the problem. the 1st 2 times it was in the shop was 4 months after I got it. It would not go into reverse.Well a new transmission and cluch later the service department said it was "Fixed". WRONG at 11months old sure enough its doing it again so i take it to the delership and they say nothing is wrong. Am I the only person having trouble???

2008 Kia Spectra
By Bob E. on 03/27/09 11:05 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Overall the vehicle has done what I needed and expected. Power is fine, mileage was about 30-31 mpg until I reached 25000 miles then I tipped 38mpg a few times depending upon passenger content, and city/highway percentage of driving when tracking the mpg of a tank of fuel. Sound system is good with nice bass and crisp highs. My tires wore out at 27000 miles to the wear bars even though I kept pressure monitored closely and rotated according to recommendations, but you know how the new car new tires are worse mileage than the ones you replace them with! The only thing would keep me from another spectra purchase is the timing belt has terrible moaning noise in the engine. Dlr says its fine!

First and Last Kia
By stoneattic on 03/06/09 06:53 AM (PST)

2008 Kia Spectra Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

If you use the stereo aux with a satellite radio or charging ipod there is a very noticeable alternator whine. The dealer had it twice, now claims that's the way it's supposed to work. If you are going to have a convenience feature it should work properly. As annoying as this is the real clincher is that the parking lights will go on by themselves in the middle of the night for no reason, draining the battery. I'm not the only one with this. Search Kia forums and you will find many with the same issue. Kia claims a new BCM will fix it, but it hasn't corrected mine. Then there's the goofy shift points, but there's not enough room to list all of my complaints. Dealer is awful too.

Unresolved Problems
By Peggy on 03/04/09 15:01 PM (PST)

2008 Kia Spectra Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the Spectra5 for gas mileage reasons and it was a cute car. It was great for the first 4.5 months - consistently 30 to 35mpg and the car was so quiet stopped or running. After that I get 15 to 20mpg with no changes to driving habits, route traveled or where gas purchased and the car is a lot louder. Service dept blames it on weather, car breaking in or just say they don't know and no attempt to look it over. It started at the end of summer before cold started. Make sure that you buy from a dealer that cares. I should have kept my SVU - same gas mileage and no car payment.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.