2008 Kia Spectra Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
Lemon
By Disappointed on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car less than a month ago and has already been in the shop twice. First mistake was buying used but I guess they saw a sucker coming. I got a lemon. Service dept. tells me its bad spark plug wires and spark plugs. Really every two weeks. They cannot replace them all until defective if under warranty. Really? Bet my warranty runs out first.

Wanted a Wagon
By Greg on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall i like the car it's got good power and a lot of features for the money. It has a quit cabin and handles bumps in the road like a more expensive car. I have been on a few camping trips with this car and it was a joy to drive.

So Happy
By Cathy on 12/15/09 17:44 PM (PST)

2008 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I'm so happy that I bought this car. I drive 45mins to and from work every day and is great on gas. I love is car.

not worth it
By John C on 07/13/09 06:03 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

the gas mileage was disappointing.. The Spectra stared to fall apart in a year.. the service department was horrible.. I was hoping it would hold up and the dealership would honor the warranty but after taking it in three times for the door on the gas cap, they said it was a poor design and only cleaned it again.. and were so rude! they said I must have broken it and the seat belt that wouldn't retract.. the side door wouldn't always close.. and I always smelt something burning.. I wasn't planning to sell it in a year after buying new but lost confidence in this car and the warranty.. it is very top heavy and not a good car to drive in the real world.. I took a huge loss with Kia..

Great Car
By hdwestmont on 07/06/09 01:51 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in February and since then have already put over 7,000 miles on it. I drive a lot! I've never gotten worse than 27 mpg and have gotten as good as 38, and trust me, I don't drive like an old woman and that's usually with the AC on too. Was planning on buying an American car, but after endless test drives, this car had more get up and go (compared to Pontiac Vibe, Dodge Caliber). I also liked it better than the Nissan Versa (way over priced) and the Toyota Matrix (also way over priced). All in all, It's been a great car, got more options for less money and it doesn't look like a pregnant roller skate! =)

First and Last Kia
By stoneattic on 03/06/09 06:53 AM (PST)

2008 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

If you use the stereo aux with a satellite radio or charging ipod there is a very noticeable alternator whine. The dealer had it twice, now claims that's the way it's supposed to work. If you are going to have a convenience feature it should work properly. As annoying as this is the real clincher is that the parking lights will go on by themselves in the middle of the night for no reason, draining the battery. I'm not the only one with this. Search Kia forums and you will find many with the same issue. Kia claims a new BCM will fix it, but it hasn't corrected mine. Then there's the goofy shift points, but there's not enough room to list all of my complaints. Dealer is awful too.

Unresolved Problems
By Peggy on 03/04/09 15:01 PM (PST)

2008 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the Spectra5 for gas mileage reasons and it was a cute car. It was great for the first 4.5 months - consistently 30 to 35mpg and the car was so quiet stopped or running. After that I get 15 to 20mpg with no changes to driving habits, route traveled or where gas purchased and the car is a lot louder. Service dept blames it on weather, car breaking in or just say they don't know and no attempt to look it over. It started at the end of summer before cold started. Make sure that you buy from a dealer that cares. I should have kept my SVU - same gas mileage and no car payment.

Super Spectra 5
By Julie on 02/21/09 21:27 PM (PST)

2008 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car because the combination of reviews, price and fuel economy were hard to beat and it has exceeded my expectations! Great fun to drive and I rarely get less than 30-32 MPG. Have gotten as much as 35 pretty regularly. My only complaint is that it could use a few more little storage compartments and I miss having the temperature and compass feature that I had in my last car.

Bye Bye Kia
By Bri on 02/10/09 14:15 PM (PST)

2008 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Well, I owned this car for 11 months and totaled it a couple weeks ago. Overall I enjoyed the Spectra5, and it did pretty well with a rear collision at 50 mph. Pushed me into another car, so both the front and back ends got it, but neither crumpled that far. Safety-wise it did pretty good. The driver seat during the collision slid to the back and put me into a reclining position. Strange, but not a serious fault in my opinion. So, good on safety, brakes stopped me, but the Civic behind me... not so much.

Awesome value, can't go wrong.
By scott on 01/26/09 09:39 AM (PST)

2008 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love driving this car. I laugh at matrix owners knowing they paid thousands more and I have a safer ride. I was worried if Kia's quality was where it should be but after owning it I can say it's better than most. Far better than the american car I own.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.