Used 2006 Kia Spectra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Most Helpful|
And we just keep rollin...
By jenners1

2006 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2006 kia spectra brand new with 53 miles on it. I change the oil every 4000 miles, change the transmission fluid every 80,000 miles. I didn't have to put new brakes on until 120,000 miles. At 150,000 miles I had her tuned up. I decided at 185,00 miles I should put new belts on it. The check engine light came on at around 85000 miles still under warranty took in for new O2 sensor. The check engine light came back on just after 100,000 miles and its been on ever since, sooner or later its gotta burn out right? still waiting for that but she runs like the day I bought it. We are currently at 265000 miles and still rolling

Favorite Features

I love the amount of leg space this car offers. My legs do not get pushed up under the steering wheel like in many other compact cars.

Great affordable, reliable car.
By shellbee3

2006 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my car last year with 86,000 miles on it. I now have 100,500 miles on it and it's doing great. I took this car on a 2,000 mile road trip in the summer and my Spectra did fine. I do have to say that one con for this car is that it does not get up to speed very quickly on the highway. When I try to accelerate the engine feels weak and buzzy; it gets pretty loud and I don't go much faster. Beside that, it's a reliable car that gets me to and from work and around town with no problem. I get about 30 MGH combined city/highway. The interior is very roomy and comfortable even with five people seated. The trunk is deep which is awesome for travel. Overall a great, reliable car.

Favorite Features

Reliability, comfort, space, inexpensive

Suggested Improvements

Radio does not come stock with an aux to play your own music, engine is weak when attempting to accelerate

Used But Loved
By Paul Callaway

2006 Kia Spectra Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2006 Kia Spectra SX used about 2 years ago and after a rough beginning fixin issues left by the former owner I've really come to enjoy this car. The SX wheels, suspension and body are a plus over the other models and considering it's a compact car it has plenty of interior room, a nice size trunk and more than enough umph to get around. If I keep a light foot on the pedal I can get MPGs in the mid to high 20's with mixed driving

Favorite Features

Nice looking two tone interior with 'faux' brushed aluminum on the dash and a leather wrapped steering wheel & shifter. The SX trim 8-spoke aluminum wheels and factory lower body kit make it look much better than the other models, not to mention the upgraded suspension really helps the handling.

Suggested Improvements

Obviously I bought my car used and this model has been discontinued, but driver seat has softened way too much and has developed an annoying squeak that makes its presence known on bumpy roads. The hood has also faded after being repainted once already by the former owner under factory warranty, but the rest of the paint on the car is fine...very weird. The only other complaint is the sad excuse for a factory stereo system, which even for a base model is unacceptable.

Still love the car, not a fan of customer service
By weezul

2006 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Reviewed the vehicle 3 1/2 years after buying, has now been 5 1/2 years. 2 issues since the last review for the vehicle. Started to experience a stiff pinging noise in the front driver side sometime last summer when the vehicle was cold and taking hard left turns slowly. Contributed it to a failing shock, my service manager misdiagnosed twice as brake pad backing plate that needed adjusting. They finally tightened down the shock's cap nut, which stopped the noise. The other issue started two months ago, my passenger mirror and driver side door handle are both peeling the clear coat. Falls out of the 3yr/36 month warranty, but I wrote to express my concerns to corporate, with no results.

Favorite Features

Fuel efficiency, roominess, drivability, sunglasses holder.

Suggested Improvements

Extra padding on console and arm rests on the doors.

7 years & 90k miles- still feels like new!
By pakialover

2006 Kia Spectra Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I drive about 12k miles/year with a good mix of city and highway. I have had no maintenance issues with this car whatsoever. I just do the regularly scheduled preventative maintenance and that's it. I sometimes forget I bought this car way back in 2006. It still feels brand-new after all this time. American car companies could learn a thing or two about quality from Kia. I will be a Kia customer for life, for sure.

Favorite Features

I really like how the center console with the radio, temp controls, etc. is designed. It's sleek stylish while the design in other cars looks cluttered and confusing. The interior design makes the Kia feel more expensive than it costs. I also like how I could get a sun roof for this car without having to also purchase a 6-CD changer. You would not believe how many car companies make you buy stupid add-ons just to get a sun roof!

Suggested Improvements

Do away with the front spoiler- it scrapes against parking blocks. Make the brakes less spongey-feeling.