Used 2005 Kia Spectra Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Kia Spectra Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Okay car
By Probe

2005 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is 4th year of my owner ship of kia Spectra5. Car seems to be ok , other than the fuel efficiency and service expenses.I keep my service schedule and I am not a agressive driver I get 21 MPG with in city ( got 24400 miles on car) and 28 -30 MPG on highway. Which is far lower than Japanese brands. I had to change my front brakes at 22000 miles I guess brakes should lost more. Good Year tires on this car lasted for 24400 miles and I guess they should last more. Bottom line is this car needs more maintenance in long run, that defeats the purpose of saving 2000 - 4000 bucks you save on this car when compared with other brands.

Red Runner
By poochie0513

2005 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In having my Kia for almost 5 years now, I can truly appreciate it. Gas mileage is wonderful and even without scheduled maintenance from time to time, it's a tough little car. It was announced totaled a few years back and still ran strong w/ no problems or major issues. I love this little car and would purchase another if needed.

Gas mileage and body style.

I would only suggest perhaps raising the car a couple of inches from the ground.

Mostly a good car
By dawnmg

2005 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I think the car is too close to the ground. It is impossible to park head-in without scrapping the curb. Even going up slanted driveways causes problems. The gas mileage on mine is horrible. After nearly 5 years of driving in town and on the highway, I am very disappointed in the gas mileage. I get about 18mpg in town and 21 on the highway. So sad! I thought FWD meant front wheel drive. If I have front wheel drive, why do my rear tires spin when starting on a hill?

O love the interior space, I love the get up and go it has.

Raise the car 2" to get better clearance. Change block to cast aluminum to decrease overall weight. Then perhaps the advertised mpg would closer to the actual mpg.

Dismal fuel economy
By Reg Rothwell

2005 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Generally, nice car. Ranked higher than others in the same price range and body style (Sport suspension and 4- wheel disc brakes led me to choose it over the others). However, gas mileage is terrible (26 mpg with 1 person; 21 mpg with 2 people - consistently so for 42,000 miles). Of course, Kia is unwilling to address the problem. Totally defeated the purpose for buying the car. Adding to the problem, it requires 91 octane.

Sport suspension and 4-wheel disc brakes

Attain advertised highway fuel economy

Total airbag failure
By sciguy

2005 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was a great car for price until another car ran stop sign and hit it head on. I was traveling on open road at 40-45 mph. Other driver turned into my lane and hit me going maybe 15 mph in dead center front. Total failure of all airbags. 2 other family members in car at time. 6 airbags and not one popped. Damage in excesss $6000. If you want a safe car do not buy. Had been happy with all but spoiler falling off repeatedly and very lousy gas mileage. Do not put your family in this car.

Peppy and handled nice and quite comfortble to drive.

Make a car with functional airbags, I bought partly due to safety features. Don't lie about mpg. Correct spoiler on front or remove.