2005 Kia Spectra Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
Reliable, good handling, low mantainance, fun.
By kingwong234 on 04/29/14 12:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I own one since 2005, after 8+ years, 220,000km it still running great! I'll make it 30kkm+. Changed oxygen sensor last year, new stunt, changed front bearing half year age; brake and rotor.... Never down, just oil change and the timing belt. Cd player fail after 2 yrs, got a new one for free. Cheap but comfort and quiet. Small outside big inside, big leg room. Fun to drive, not the best for gas. Want to find a better car after this one, may be a Camry or KIA again.

what a car for 12,500
By yankee1957 on 04/01/12 19:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

bought the car with 12,000 miles on it in 2006. We have really run this car. 140,000 and just oil changes ,tires, batt, and t belt regular required up keep. sits great in front needs more padding in back. 34-36 mpg to florida. window swithes could you some work also but for a cheap car can't complain about it. If I buy another it would be sorento; just like them and the dealership at tullahoma tn was great haven't seen them much but always helpful. Just drive it you will like it

More Pros than Cons
By miandyv on 11/19/11 20:36 PM (PST)

2005 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Owned for 6 years, 88,298 mls. Purchased for $14,750. Pros: negotiated a very good deal with dealer, inexpensive maintenance, excellent in snow, excellent maneuverability on city streets and highway, spacious interior (my husband is 6 ft 5 in and my son is 6 ft 7 in) both can sit comfortably inside the car (we rode trip alot in the Kia). Now, here are the Cons: poor quality on interior and exterior components - paint peeling and chipping at less than 24,000 mls. Dealership does not want to remedy the problem, glove compartment fell off it's hinges (barely ever opened), Kia logos have unexpectedly fell off, steering wheel tilt handle fell off, hoods props came apart, trunk hooks fell off

Great Car
By wben838 on 02/06/10 14:23 PM (PST)

2005 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I paid $7000 used for this car. It is the most reliable car I have ever had. I have owned 4 VW's 1 Subaru, 1 Mazda, and 1 Saab. It is made for people on a budget. When you get the coupons, the dealer only charges $10.00 for an oil change. The only annoying thing about this car is that it is a little slow and the engine makes noise at around 4Krpm.

Okay car
By Probe on 07/28/09 13:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is 4th year of my owner ship of kia Spectra5. Car seems to be ok , other than the fuel efficiency and service expenses.I keep my service schedule and I am not a agressive driver I get 21 MPG with in city ( got 24400 miles on car) and 28 -30 MPG on highway. Which is far lower than Japanese brands. I had to change my front brakes at 22000 miles I guess brakes should lost more. Good Year tires on this car lasted for 24400 miles and I guess they should last more. Bottom line is this car needs more maintenance in long run, that defeats the purpose of saving 2000 - 4000 bucks you save on this car when compared with other brands.

Red Runner
By poochie0513 on 06/09/09 07:43 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In having my Kia for almost 5 years now, I can truly appreciate it. Gas mileage is wonderful and even without scheduled maintenance from time to time, it's a tough little car. It was announced totaled a few years back and still ran strong w/ no problems or major issues. I love this little car and would purchase another if needed.

Mostly a good car
By dawnmg on 03/28/09 11:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I think the car is too close to the ground. It is impossible to park head-in without scrapping the curb. Even going up slanted driveways causes problems. The gas mileage on mine is horrible. After nearly 5 years of driving in town and on the highway, I am very disappointed in the gas mileage. I get about 18mpg in town and 21 on the highway. So sad! I thought FWD meant front wheel drive. If I have front wheel drive, why do my rear tires spin when starting on a hill?

Dismal fuel economy
By Reg Rothwell on 04/25/08 20:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Generally, nice car. Ranked higher than others in the same price range and body style (Sport suspension and 4- wheel disc brakes led me to choose it over the others). However, gas mileage is terrible (26 mpg with 1 person; 21 mpg with 2 people - consistently so for 42,000 miles). Of course, Kia is unwilling to address the problem. Totally defeated the purpose for buying the car. Adding to the problem, it requires 91 octane.

Total airbag failure
By sciguy on 10/11/07 07:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was a great car for price until another car ran stop sign and hit it head on. I was traveling on open road at 40-45 mph. Other driver turned into my lane and hit me going maybe 15 mph in dead center front. Total failure of all airbags. 2 other family members in car at time. 6 airbags and not one popped. Damage in excesss $6000. If you want a safe car do not buy. Had been happy with all but spoiler falling off repeatedly and very lousy gas mileage. Do not put your family in this car.

Nice lil car
By silver bullet on 09/09/07 15:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

At 6'5'', 300 lbs I wondered at first if I could even fit in it, to my surprise I did. Now at about 45000 miles I can't complain much. It has good power and with the stick in it I really go if I need to, but I think it needs to have a sixth gear in it. I put an after market sound system in but left the factory deck in it and it sounds quite good. I had no problems other than the front spoiler is gone due to rubbing on parking ties and drive entries.