Used 2005 Kia Spectra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Kia Spectra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

2005 Kia Spectra
By finngirl

2005 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car with 44,000 in 2007, and at 85,000 the engine became completely clogged with oil despite regular oil changes every 3,000-5,000 miles. The manual recommends changing the oil every 7,500. A Kia dealership just said to change the oil every 1,000 miles, to clear the clog but that didn't work, and I had to replace the engine. After the replacement, I've since learned this has been a problem with this particular engine, and Kia has stopped making it.

great car
By dparent

2005 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I had my 2005 kia spectra for 5 years, the car had 148,000 miles on it and it had never let me down. 2 weeks ago my wife and I and our 2 sons were rearended buy a fullsize suv we were waiting to turn into a drive way and we were hit. The driver of the suv didnt even try to stop he hit us at at least 55 mph. my 9 yr old son and my 6 year old son were in the back seat. and even with the impact we all walked away without injurys. after the accident the car still runs great. I will find a new body to the motor into.

100,000 miles
By not_a_yob

2005 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've read through plenty of reviews, and the one thing I am noticing is that people are putting automatics in with the manual transmission, don't be daft please. The 2.0 DOHC 5spd standard transmission is great. I have over 100,000 miles on my car as it sits now still with the original clutch, and trust me when I say I haven't been overly kind to my car. I have beat on it, driven long distances and over all drvien this car as if it were a rally car or enduro car, including some slight off roading and it still starts up with out arguement and gets up and goes like a propper little sprinter. I unexpectedly fell in love with the little bugger, and I expect the romance to continue on for awhile.

Excellent little motor, its peppy, it sprints off unexpectedly fast and handles well at high speeds. The transmission/clutch/drivetrain is also pretty rugged and has held up to teaching 3 different people how to drive a standard transmission, and more so, has held up against my rude treatment of it. I am somewhat surprised at the amount of room in it aswell, I am 6'4" and there is ample room for my long legs, I feel relaxed and comfterble driving.

I don't like the rear brakes, thats about it really. They are rubbish, why give me a handbrake if it doesn't actually lock up the rear tires? The pads in the back also wear out a bit too quickly...

Great quality
By trick1

2005 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 2005 for my wife and outside of general maintenance issues it hasn't missed a beat. It's rolling up on 80k. This car has been so good that I'm considering buying another one for a commuter car since I'm having a hard time justifying driving the SUV with the current fuel prices. The car seems to average about 30 on mostly highway miles so it's right up there with similar sized cars for mileage.

We are both average sized adults of normal weight and they car fits us very well. Good fuel economy Exterior finish and interior build have been great. Reliable power train....not a single issue to date.

Honestly for what you get compared to what you pay, this vehicle is a steal. I can't think of any improvements.

Works for me
By Rich

2005 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this 2005 Spectra EX new and now have 60,000 miles on it. I change the oil every 3-4K miles. My front tires wore out after about 25,000 because I never rotated them, so I put new ones on just the front. At 60,000 I should probably just change all 4 now. I haven't had so much as a head lamp go out on this car. Original battery and this car has never failed to start or run smoothly. Granted I maintain it well and keep it garaged, but still it has exceeded my expectation for an economical car. Comfort is not bad considering I over 6ft tall and the upholstery has no tears, cracks, or worn spots.

Dependability, Low initial cost, ease of maintenance. 6 air bags. Haven't used them and don't want to. Hope they work if I need them though.

Gas mileage at 30 mpg highway is a little disappointing for such a small car. The radio has really weak reception. They could have spent a few more dollars on a better audio system.