Used 2005 Kia Spectra Spectra5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

185,000 Miles!!
By Chad Stevens

2005 Kia Spectra Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am the 2nd owner of this car. Bought it in 2013 wit 160,000 miles for 3k. The car's exterior was in reasonable condition, minor wear and tears,dents and dings. Mechanically she was sound. After a few thousand miles, the radio went, Clutch went, brake caliper froze up, replaced the timing belt. However, at 160,000 miles those items are expected to be replaced. Since then, everything has been great, except the transmission synchronizers are starting to fail. I still use this car as my daily driver, and commute my daily 48 miles. To date i have 186,458 miles on it. Not bad for KIA. I may just buy another when this one finally decides to rest. And for sake of argument, i drive very spirited.

Great Car
By wben838

2005 Kia Spectra Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I paid $7000 used for this car. It is the most reliable car I have ever had. I have owned 4 VW's 1 Subaru, 1 Mazda, and 1 Saab. It is made for people on a budget. When you get the coupons, the dealer only charges $10.00 for an oil change. The only annoying thing about this car is that it is a little slow and the engine makes noise at around 4Krpm.

Cheap, cool looking, holds lots of stuff

stereo

Okay car
By Probe

2005 Kia Spectra Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is 4th year of my owner ship of kia Spectra5. Car seems to be ok , other than the fuel efficiency and service expenses.I keep my service schedule and I am not a agressive driver I get 21 MPG with in city ( got 24400 miles on car) and 28 -30 MPG on highway. Which is far lower than Japanese brands. I had to change my front brakes at 22000 miles I guess brakes should lost more. Good Year tires on this car lasted for 24400 miles and I guess they should last more. Bottom line is this car needs more maintenance in long run, that defeats the purpose of saving 2000 - 4000 bucks you save on this car when compared with other brands.

Red Runner
By poochie0513

2005 Kia Spectra Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In having my Kia for almost 5 years now, I can truly appreciate it. Gas mileage is wonderful and even without scheduled maintenance from time to time, it's a tough little car. It was announced totaled a few years back and still ran strong w/ no problems or major issues. I love this little car and would purchase another if needed.

Gas mileage and body style.

I would only suggest perhaps raising the car a couple of inches from the ground.

Mostly a good car
By dawnmg

2005 Kia Spectra Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I think the car is too close to the ground. It is impossible to park head-in without scrapping the curb. Even going up slanted driveways causes problems. The gas mileage on mine is horrible. After nearly 5 years of driving in town and on the highway, I am very disappointed in the gas mileage. I get about 18mpg in town and 21 on the highway. So sad! I thought FWD meant front wheel drive. If I have front wheel drive, why do my rear tires spin when starting on a hill?

O love the interior space, I love the get up and go it has.

Raise the car 2" to get better clearance. Change block to cast aluminum to decrease overall weight. Then perhaps the advertised mpg would closer to the actual mpg.