2005 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
Great Car
By wben838 on 02/06/10 14:23 PM (PST)

2005 Kia Spectra Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I paid $7000 used for this car. It is the most reliable car I have ever had. I have owned 4 VW's 1 Subaru, 1 Mazda, and 1 Saab. It is made for people on a budget. When you get the coupons, the dealer only charges $10.00 for an oil change. The only annoying thing about this car is that it is a little slow and the engine makes noise at around 4Krpm.

Okay car
By Probe on 07/28/09 13:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is 4th year of my owner ship of kia Spectra5. Car seems to be ok , other than the fuel efficiency and service expenses.I keep my service schedule and I am not a agressive driver I get 21 MPG with in city ( got 24400 miles on car) and 28 -30 MPG on highway. Which is far lower than Japanese brands. I had to change my front brakes at 22000 miles I guess brakes should lost more. Good Year tires on this car lasted for 24400 miles and I guess they should last more. Bottom line is this car needs more maintenance in long run, that defeats the purpose of saving 2000 - 4000 bucks you save on this car when compared with other brands.

Red Runner
By poochie0513 on 06/09/09 07:43 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In having my Kia for almost 5 years now, I can truly appreciate it. Gas mileage is wonderful and even without scheduled maintenance from time to time, it's a tough little car. It was announced totaled a few years back and still ran strong w/ no problems or major issues. I love this little car and would purchase another if needed.

Mostly a good car
By dawnmg on 03/28/09 11:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I think the car is too close to the ground. It is impossible to park head-in without scrapping the curb. Even going up slanted driveways causes problems. The gas mileage on mine is horrible. After nearly 5 years of driving in town and on the highway, I am very disappointed in the gas mileage. I get about 18mpg in town and 21 on the highway. So sad! I thought FWD meant front wheel drive. If I have front wheel drive, why do my rear tires spin when starting on a hill?

Dismal fuel economy
By Reg Rothwell on 04/25/08 20:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Generally, nice car. Ranked higher than others in the same price range and body style (Sport suspension and 4- wheel disc brakes led me to choose it over the others). However, gas mileage is terrible (26 mpg with 1 person; 21 mpg with 2 people - consistently so for 42,000 miles). Of course, Kia is unwilling to address the problem. Totally defeated the purpose for buying the car. Adding to the problem, it requires 91 octane.

Total airbag failure
By sciguy on 10/11/07 07:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was a great car for price until another car ran stop sign and hit it head on. I was traveling on open road at 40-45 mph. Other driver turned into my lane and hit me going maybe 15 mph in dead center front. Total failure of all airbags. 2 other family members in car at time. 6 airbags and not one popped. Damage in excesss $6000. If you want a safe car do not buy. Had been happy with all but spoiler falling off repeatedly and very lousy gas mileage. Do not put your family in this car.

Nice lil car
By silver bullet on 09/09/07 15:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

At 6'5'', 300 lbs I wondered at first if I could even fit in it, to my surprise I did. Now at about 45000 miles I can't complain much. It has good power and with the stick in it I really go if I need to, but I think it needs to have a sixth gear in it. I put an after market sound system in but left the factory deck in it and it sounds quite good. I had no problems other than the front spoiler is gone due to rubbing on parking ties and drive entries.

Fun to drive, very economical
By matchick on 09/05/07 18:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After 2 years and 52,000 miles, I still love this car. The seats could be more comfortable, but it is cute, runs great and is super fun to drive. I get about 32 miles to the gallon highway, so very easy on the pump. Non standard tires make replacements a bit pricey at about $125 per tire.

Excellent
By Nathanc on 05/07/07 21:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good handling, good design both interior and exterior. Excellent reliability. Very good on gas mileage.

Major paint issues
By princessmeliss on 07/07/06 06:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Kia Spec5 was awesome for the first 8 months until the paint started chipping off. Kia refuses to take responsibility for it and I've seen 2 others with the same problem. Kia's rep told me that his is doing the same thing, but it's not a quality issue. Have since found other Spec5's with the same thing and found feedback on the web from owners experiencing the exact same issue. Kia isn't interested in hearing about it and has lost a customer as a result.