2005 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
2005 Kia Spectra
By finngirl on 04/12/13 08:56 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car with 44,000 in 2007, and at 85,000 the engine became completely clogged with oil despite regular oil changes every 3,000-5,000 miles. The manual recommends changing the oil every 7,500. A Kia dealership just said to change the oil every 1,000 miles, to clear the clog but that didn't work, and I had to replace the engine. After the replacement, I've since learned this has been a problem with this particular engine, and Kia has stopped making it.

what a car for 12,500
By yankee1957 on 04/01/12 19:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

bought the car with 12,000 miles on it in 2006. We have really run this car. 140,000 and just oil changes ,tires, batt, and t belt regular required up keep. sits great in front needs more padding in back. 34-36 mpg to florida. window swithes could you some work also but for a cheap car can't complain about it. If I buy another it would be sorento; just like them and the dealership at tullahoma tn was great haven't seen them much but always helpful. Just drive it you will like it

More Pros than Cons
By miandyv on 11/19/11 20:36 PM (PST)

2005 Kia Spectra Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Owned for 6 years, 88,298 mls. Purchased for $14,750. Pros: negotiated a very good deal with dealer, inexpensive maintenance, excellent in snow, excellent maneuverability on city streets and highway, spacious interior (my husband is 6 ft 5 in and my son is 6 ft 7 in) both can sit comfortably inside the car (we rode trip alot in the Kia). Now, here are the Cons: poor quality on interior and exterior components - paint peeling and chipping at less than 24,000 mls. Dealership does not want to remedy the problem, glove compartment fell off it's hinges (barely ever opened), Kia logos have unexpectedly fell off, steering wheel tilt handle fell off, hoods props came apart, trunk hooks fell off

great car
By dparent on 10/12/11 21:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I had my 2005 kia spectra for 5 years, the car had 148,000 miles on it and it had never let me down. 2 weeks ago my wife and I and our 2 sons were rearended buy a fullsize suv we were waiting to turn into a drive way and we were hit. The driver of the suv didnt even try to stop he hit us at at least 55 mph. my 9 yr old son and my 6 year old son were in the back seat. and even with the impact we all walked away without injurys. after the accident the car still runs great. I will find a new body to the motor into.

100,000 miles
By not_a_yob on 06/23/11 22:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've read through plenty of reviews, and the one thing I am noticing is that people are putting automatics in with the manual transmission, don't be daft please. The 2.0 DOHC 5spd standard transmission is great. I have over 100,000 miles on my car as it sits now still with the original clutch, and trust me when I say I haven't been overly kind to my car. I have beat on it, driven long distances and over all drvien this car as if it were a rally car or enduro car, including some slight off roading and it still starts up with out arguement and gets up and goes like a propper little sprinter. I unexpectedly fell in love with the little bugger, and I expect the romance to continue on for awhile.

Great quality
By trick1 on 03/17/11 05:46 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 2005 for my wife and outside of general maintenance issues it hasn't missed a beat. It's rolling up on 80k. This car has been so good that I'm considering buying another one for a commuter car since I'm having a hard time justifying driving the SUV with the current fuel prices. The car seems to average about 30 on mostly highway miles so it's right up there with similar sized cars for mileage.

Works for me
By Rich on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this 2005 Spectra EX new and now have 60,000 miles on it. I change the oil every 3-4K miles. My front tires wore out after about 25,000 because I never rotated them, so I put new ones on just the front. At 60,000 I should probably just change all 4 now. I haven't had so much as a head lamp go out on this car. Original battery and this car has never failed to start or run smoothly. Granted I maintain it well and keep it garaged, but still it has exceeded my expectation for an economical car. Comfort is not bad considering I over 6ft tall and the upholstery has no tears, cracks, or worn spots.

Not bad for a cheap car
By Cheap Car on 08/11/10 16:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it used for my wife to commute in with 44K on it. It now has 86K on it and is still running strong.That pesky check engine light goes on and off when it feels like it.It must be something minor because it has no effect on performance or gas mileage.Other than normal maintenance I have had no problems with it. I did notice that in hot, hot weather the speedo and tack go wacky for a while. I have changed the transmission oil twice and have had no problems with it after reading about transmission problems other owners have had. I must have got a descent one because I do not have all the problems that other Kia owners have.

Very Pleased, Fun to Drive
By Happy Camper on 07/27/10 17:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Spectra SX Feb. 2006, I've been very pleased with this little car. Maintenance low. Everyone at the dealership is great. I am very pleased with the performance and looks of the car. I get a lot of comments how cute or cool it looks. I love this car. It's my third Kia. I would definitely buy another Kia.

Great Car
By TLS on 07/16/10 19:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love this Car. Had to replace a belt after 4 years, but no other problems. We have taken several trips both the the hot south New Mexico area and up to the high mountains in Colorado.