Used 2004 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

2004 Kia Spectra

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

NEVER AGAIN!
By nothappy

2004 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I donít know how or where to start. This car has been giving me problems from the start. The engine light goes on and off. The transmission has been replaced 3 times, the computer once, the alternator 1 time; the struts have been replaced twice. OMG! It has been my worse nightmare. I have missed so many days of work because of this. I wanted to sell it, but of course Kia does not hold their value. After I paid over 15,000 for this car, I only get $2,000 after 5 years with only 55,000 miles on it. I swear I would rather walk to work everyday before I buy another Kia. PLEASE do some research before you buy a Kia... They might be affordable, but you will pay so much at the end.

Favorite Features

Nothing really.. pretty standard.

Suggested Improvements

Everything in this car needs to be improved.

High gas use
By Martha

2004 Kia Spectra LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car but it uses a lot of gas. I take very good care of the car and go every 3 months for oil change and maintenance. When I drive long distance I get 32 miles a gallon and that is nice but most of the time I drive it in town not more that 8 miles each time and I get only 18 miles a gallon.

Favorite Features

I love everything except the gas use.

2004 Kia
By Mack

2004 Kia Spectra LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent Vehicle!! I only had to buy new tires and perform the regular maintenance for this vehicles since I purchased it. Not a problem with it. If you take care of this vehicle, it will take care of you. Many people do not take care of their cars and expect them to last a long time. I tell you what, I am keeping my KIA and if I need to buy another vehicle, it will be a KIA! It is cheaper, I have all the toys and it rides great!

Favorite Features

Automatic headlights shut off becuase I always leave them on.

Suggested Improvements

none

Don't But a Kia
By karen dowds

2004 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Experienced what felt like a transmission slipping problem before warranty was up - dealer test drove car with me and felt problem but wouldn't svc it without check engine light being on. Light came on finally and fun began. Murray, dealer, monkeyed with car 6 times and light kept coming back on - problem grew worse till car would stop. Had to go to Eastern Regional Office to open a case. After 6 more trips to dealer and a special kia tech having to come out to look at car (tech had to come out for other cars that Murray couldn't fix too) and replacement of wire harness ($900 part which did not correct problem), another tech FINALLY found o2 sensor problem, light off for 5 days.

Great first time car!
By Rob Richter

2004 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Spectra for 2 years now and not once have I been to the mechanic for any problems. I've put about 13,000 miles on it and so far so good. City mileage is about 22-23 not bad but could be a little better. Transmission is kinda rough shifting from third to fourth gear sometimes. If you can find a low mileage Spectra (the newer models are even better in my opinion) you will not be dissapointed!

Favorite Features

Quiet interior, a lot of hard plastics but they are all put together well, clear visibility out of the rear view mirror.

Suggested Improvements

Only knocks are a lack of cupholders (no back ones? what were they thinking?, new spectras have more though) and for some reason the windows get fogged up easy even if I'm the only one in the car on a nice fall day.