2004 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
Overall pleased.
By kiaveteran on 09/01/08 05:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car when I was driving a predominantly city commute, and the gas mileage was rather disappointing (no higher than 29, mostly 25-27). However, I've moved, and I have a more rural cruising commute, and gas mileage has gone up to 30-32. Nice comfort, interior and storage space for a small car, and reliability has been excellent. I get in, and it starts up the first time every time. A little too much lean in the corners with any semblance of speed, but a comfy ride. A great commuter car, and the safety features are a class above the price class. Kia is worth checking out, and it seems the word is getting out about that.

Good value
By K on 08/17/08 18:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my gsx used and I have had no problems at all with anything. Now has over 90,000 miles and still runs great. The performance is a little slow, but I have been adding some parts to it and they are making a big difference. I would highly recommend this car as a commuter or for performance car that you do not see very often although the part are only available from a few places.

How can we all have the same problem?
By Kia 04.5 Owner on 08/15/08 18:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Reading the reviews I couldn't even laugh. I have replaced the dash (odometer problem - forgot about that until I read another review). C02 censor is being replaced (again 3x); car shakes (BADLY) at 70mph. Taking it in (AGAIN) so I can pass emissions test. I did not buy the extended warranty so I am out over $2K (YIKES). If I could have afforded $2K in repairs I would have stayed with Honda and put more money in the INITIAL investment. Looks like it is time to trade out before the transmission goes out. {sigh}

2004 Kia Spectra
By LLBinHOU on 04/10/08 08:29 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Kia used 8 months ago and I LOVE this car! It has smooth manual shift, feels sporty, great on the mileage and very fun to drive! No complaints. None!

Cannot Align?
By tommywebb on 03/18/08 02:31 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

When I got the car it needed an alignment, should have made them fix it then. We loved the car. We paid cash for it. Well.........I took it to get new tires and an alignment in Oct. of '07 and the alignment tech told there is no camber adjustment on the KIA so he could not align the car. WHAT? He then proceeded to tell me I had to buy an aftermarket kit and it would cost $200 to install so my car could be aligned. I thought they were just fishing for money. So I called the dealer and sure enough I had to buy an aftermarket kit. WHAT?I bought a car you can't get aligned! KIA said it adjusts, the dealer and the tech says no. Now I am stuck with a car I can never get aligned. Never buy another!

Great so far
By snbcdad on 06/07/07 12:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used to replace my 12 year old Altima. It's much smaller outside, but just as comfy and more rear seat legroom (I'm 5'11"). Feels solid, peppy on take off, VERY respectable trunk size for its class, and cheap to buy. Gas mileage started out low (25.5 in mixed driving), but has steadily improved with warmer weather (31.6 in mixed driving). Not up to par with the Corolla for gas mileage, but rivals it everywhere else. Very happy with my purchase. Safety features were a sell along with price. Also, the outside styling is very nice.

2004 Kia Spectra
By kwitcherbytchn on 03/31/07 11:59 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second new car. I bought it for the warranty. And now I regret it. The gas mileage is horrible. I'm lucky to get 25 mpg. I had a Saturn and was getting 31 mpg. The trans kicks when accelerating, it makes funny noises on and off.

No Brainer
By Mike on 11/04/06 07:19 AM (PST)

2004 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car with a considerable rebate, and to date it is an excellent value. Outside of a couple of minor trim issues on the inside, and malfunctioning of an interior warning light which were promptly fixed, the car has been no problem whatsoever. The car looks nice, is comfortable, and does what it is supposed to do. With the warranty, it is a no brainer.

horrible service/vehicle
By cjhammen on 07/26/06 21:17 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Not only have we had to fork out over $1000 on repairs but Kia finally decided to put a new transmission in at only 58K, but that took 25 payments for them to do that. There is NO power to the vehicle. The seats are uncomfortable and if I didn't drive 50 miles each way to work and needed something to use as a "throw away vehicle" I would never have bought this piece of JUNK. I will not even give it to my 16 year old son to drive.

Don't trust their warranty
By suckered on 07/18/06 14:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

They have two maintenance schedules. No one tells you that you are under the severe schedule until you need the warranty. Transmission failed at 38K. Kia won't cover because we didn't have the transmission fluid changed at 30K per the severe schedule. Normal schedule says look at fluid and replace if needed all the way to 105K. No customer support! No dealership support! A private transmission repair shop states that the fluid is fine & that the failure is due to part failure. Kia doesn't rebuild transmissions, they replace the whole thing and keep many in stock just for this reason. I think Kia is trying to avoid a recall. Wish superman would come to our rescue.