2004 Kia Spectra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
NEVER AGAIN!
By nothappy on 09/24/09 13:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra Hatchback GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I don’t know how or where to start. This car has been giving me problems from the start. The engine light goes on and off. The transmission has been replaced 3 times, the computer once, the alternator 1 time; the struts have been replaced twice. OMG! It has been my worse nightmare. I have missed so many days of work because of this. I wanted to sell it, but of course Kia does not hold their value. After I paid over 15,000 for this car, I only get $2,000 after 5 years with only 55,000 miles on it. I swear I would rather walk to work everyday before I buy another Kia. PLEASE do some research before you buy a Kia... They might be affordable, but you will pay so much at the end.

Good value
By K on 08/17/08 18:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my gsx used and I have had no problems at all with anything. Now has over 90,000 miles and still runs great. The performance is a little slow, but I have been adding some parts to it and they are making a big difference. I would highly recommend this car as a commuter or for performance car that you do not see very often although the part are only available from a few places.

horrible service/vehicle
By cjhammen on 07/26/06 21:17 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Not only have we had to fork out over $1000 on repairs but Kia finally decided to put a new transmission in at only 58K, but that took 25 payments for them to do that. There is NO power to the vehicle. The seats are uncomfortable and if I didn't drive 50 miles each way to work and needed something to use as a "throw away vehicle" I would never have bought this piece of JUNK. I will not even give it to my 16 year old son to drive.

Don't trust their warranty
By suckered on 07/18/06 14:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra Hatchback GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

They have two maintenance schedules. No one tells you that you are under the severe schedule until you need the warranty. Transmission failed at 38K. Kia won't cover because we didn't have the transmission fluid changed at 30K per the severe schedule. Normal schedule says look at fluid and replace if needed all the way to 105K. No customer support! No dealership support! A private transmission repair shop states that the fluid is fine & that the failure is due to part failure. Kia doesn't rebuild transmissions, they replace the whole thing and keep many in stock just for this reason. I think Kia is trying to avoid a recall. Wish superman would come to our rescue.

Commute, it's off to work we go
By wildbill on 01/28/05 14:54 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Spectra Hatchback GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Have to drive 60 miles each way. Got a Spectra and it is satisfactory. No extra power, but I keep a steady 2900 rpm going 70 mph on the Garden State Parkway. That is when I am not in Bloomfield and Orange, NJ where the speed drops to 15 mph often. One queer characteristic has popped up once in awhile. The car forgets how to automatically shift. It usually occurs when I pass through the toll booth using EZ-pay. There I don't come to a complete stop, but go from 70 to 15 to 70 mph within a mile. The car comes up to speed, but the rpms go up too, up to 4500 rpm, then I take action. Well, the action is to go to the shoulder and stop the car. Restarting seems to reprogram the car fine.

Careful: The Bear Wants Christmas Money!
By Jake on 12/28/04 23:29 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The compact hatchback is styled "right". The day I purchased my Spectra I had the check engine light reset. It has been back to the dealership two other times for the same thing, but I have been out in less than an hour each time. As a former line mechanic, I have reset the computer twice myself: once at high altitude above Sante Fe and the other on a foggy morning. It has a dash rattle which I may not get fixed unless it gets louder. I change my own oil and keep all receipts, but I really don't expect problems with the warranty. It is a great second generation vehicle which I rate behind a Corolla or Civic, but I paid an exceptional price-$3600 below MSRP-they met my earned interest rate!

2004 Spectra
By Clay Stephenson on 10/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra Hatchback GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Steering is very stiff and too tight. Interior could be up graded. Mileage is only fair for the size of the car. I get appx 24 city and 28 highway. Road noise on a scale of 1-10 would be rated at 6 for me. Problems within first five months of purchase. Frequently the speed will indicate as much as a 24 mph various higher than actual travel. Ok for a work car but not of the quality I expected. Previous Kia I owned was a 2000 Sophia and handling and mileage was much better. I will likely purchase a different make on my next purchase

kia gsx
By darrell19712 on 09/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

added a power sunroof and keyless entry which makes this vehicle fun to drive and practical, actually quite a value for the dollars notwithstanding the extended warranty

2001 kia spectra
By Spickez334 on 09/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

i like the car a lot

My Second KIA
By Owlteacher on 07/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra Hatchback GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is a wonderful commuter car! I've been impressed with everything about it, except that the driver's side seatbelt latch is too close to the seat. This causes some discomfort on long trips. I have the 5-door model, and the cargo room with the back seats flipped forward is awesome. I'm sold.