2004 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
NEVER AGAIN!
By nothappy on 09/24/09 13:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I donít know how or where to start. This car has been giving me problems from the start. The engine light goes on and off. The transmission has been replaced 3 times, the computer once, the alternator 1 time; the struts have been replaced twice. OMG! It has been my worse nightmare. I have missed so many days of work because of this. I wanted to sell it, but of course Kia does not hold their value. After I paid over 15,000 for this car, I only get $2,000 after 5 years with only 55,000 miles on it. I swear I would rather walk to work everyday before I buy another Kia. PLEASE do some research before you buy a Kia... They might be affordable, but you will pay so much at the end.

Don't trust their warranty
By suckered on 07/18/06 14:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

They have two maintenance schedules. No one tells you that you are under the severe schedule until you need the warranty. Transmission failed at 38K. Kia won't cover because we didn't have the transmission fluid changed at 30K per the severe schedule. Normal schedule says look at fluid and replace if needed all the way to 105K. No customer support! No dealership support! A private transmission repair shop states that the fluid is fine & that the failure is due to part failure. Kia doesn't rebuild transmissions, they replace the whole thing and keep many in stock just for this reason. I think Kia is trying to avoid a recall. Wish superman would come to our rescue.

Commute, it's off to work we go
By wildbill on 01/28/05 14:54 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Have to drive 60 miles each way. Got a Spectra and it is satisfactory. No extra power, but I keep a steady 2900 rpm going 70 mph on the Garden State Parkway. That is when I am not in Bloomfield and Orange, NJ where the speed drops to 15 mph often. One queer characteristic has popped up once in awhile. The car forgets how to automatically shift. It usually occurs when I pass through the toll booth using EZ-pay. There I don't come to a complete stop, but go from 70 to 15 to 70 mph within a mile. The car comes up to speed, but the rpms go up too, up to 4500 rpm, then I take action. Well, the action is to go to the shoulder and stop the car. Restarting seems to reprogram the car fine.

2004 Spectra
By Clay Stephenson on 10/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Steering is very stiff and too tight. Interior could be up graded. Mileage is only fair for the size of the car. I get appx 24 city and 28 highway. Road noise on a scale of 1-10 would be rated at 6 for me. Problems within first five months of purchase. Frequently the speed will indicate as much as a 24 mph various higher than actual travel. Ok for a work car but not of the quality I expected. Previous Kia I owned was a 2000 Sophia and handling and mileage was much better. I will likely purchase a different make on my next purchase

2001 kia spectra
By Spickez334 on 09/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

i like the car a lot

My Second KIA
By Owlteacher on 07/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is a wonderful commuter car! I've been impressed with everything about it, except that the driver's side seatbelt latch is too close to the seat. This causes some discomfort on long trips. I have the 5-door model, and the cargo room with the back seats flipped forward is awesome. I'm sold.

So far,so good
By No4Mk1 on 04/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought a new Spectra. First new car I have ever owned (was about time). So far, so good. Gas mileage has been consistently around 30mpg. Shifts very smoothly. I have now put nearly 3000 miles on it. Looks like it'll need a set of studded tires for the winter. Enough room for my kids in the back - better than a Rio.

Wow
By lesan6 on 01/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I am impressed with this one! Gotta hand it to the Euro's; they can make a car; Kia's selling like hotcakes over there. My vehicle warm's up fast in the winter, idles quietly, handles well on the road, has good radio,sound quality! If the Koreans are offering a warranty like this, it tells me that they have engineered one heck, "see, we told ya' so!" of a car. Easy on the wallet! Maybe it's a "Honda clone."

how my kia feels
By roby on 12/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

this car is very low to the ground.had bad gas mileage. has no pickup for a 4 cyl. car.