2004 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
PROBLEM FROM DAY 1
By debrastark on 04/23/12 06:55 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle from a Barrie Ontario dealer in Sept 2004..it had 18000 on it (I was told it was a rental car b4 I bought it)-in any case the check engine light was on from day one. The most disturbing is when you would go it would hesitate and not seem to "catch" a gear..no power-you would turn it off turn back on and it would seem to reset itself. I took it to Barrie Kia before we moved and they said "if the problem isnt occuring right then we cant see it"-I told them while it's still under 20,000 if I find its transmisison related later I wont be happy. In any case I now work at Honda (thank the lands) I have thus far replaced the alternator and battery. There are FIVE codes (all

Will stay with Kia
By sargrebe on 07/25/11 10:33 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our first new car in 04. It is technically an 04 model, with an 05 body style. We loved this car so much that when my husband wanted a new one we bought an 08 manual for him. Great Gas mileage! Great starter car for a young family. The only cons are that the gas tank straps failed after 5 years, and I had to have those replaced, scary! And the interior after 8 years is failing, seat is falling apart.

Good Car for the Price
By lorijohnston on 07/21/11 12:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I am surprised at some of the other reviews. I bought this car used with 16,000 in early 2005. At the time, I needed an inexpensive and reliable car to get me back and forth between work, home and school. Six years later, I still own the car and I still love it. The only major expense was a timing belt change at 102,000 miles. Over the years I have had only one mysterious problem. The transmission at times would stick in one gear. Every time I have encountered this issue, I simply pulled over, put the car in park for a second, returned the car to drive and the problem ended. I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone who needed reliability & affordability. I own 2 Kias today!

Questionable reliability
By FASV on 09/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I still like this car; however; only after 55,000 miles the alternator failed and at 67,000 the ac compressor had to be rebuilt. The alternator repair was covered by the warranty but the ac I had to pay for it. Recently I replaced the brakes for the first time and the timing belt and engine belts. Tires twice and battery twice as well. Other than that I still like the car but will think twice again of buying another Kia. The 60,000 miles warranty is for a reason.

Cleaned out my wallet
By Bernice on 04/23/10 13:26 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this Spectra used at 32,000. Following year we put in a new clutch. We had 4 CV joints put in and now the Rack and Pinion is gone. Car is at 64000 miles. The dealership wants $1200 to replace. Called Kia and they offered no help. Have spent tons of money on this car and it always makes funny noises. I found a friend to replace rack with a used one for $250.00. I am stuck with this car for now but would never buy anything from KIA.

NEVER AGAIN!
By nothappy on 09/24/09 13:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I don’t know how or where to start. This car has been giving me problems from the start. The engine light goes on and off. The transmission has been replaced 3 times, the computer once, the alternator 1 time; the struts have been replaced twice. OMG! It has been my worse nightmare. I have missed so many days of work because of this. I wanted to sell it, but of course Kia does not hold their value. After I paid over 15,000 for this car, I only get $2,000 after 5 years with only 55,000 miles on it. I swear I would rather walk to work everyday before I buy another Kia. PLEASE do some research before you buy a Kia... They might be affordable, but you will pay so much at the end.

High gas use
By Martha on 08/31/09 13:35 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car but it uses a lot of gas. I take very good care of the car and go every 3 months for oil change and maintenance. When I drive long distance I get 32 miles a gallon and that is nice but most of the time I drive it in town not more that 8 miles each time and I get only 18 miles a gallon.

2004 Kia
By Mack on 07/05/09 18:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent Vehicle!! I only had to buy new tires and perform the regular maintenance for this vehicles since I purchased it. Not a problem with it. If you take care of this vehicle, it will take care of you. Many people do not take care of their cars and expect them to last a long time. I tell you what, I am keeping my KIA and if I need to buy another vehicle, it will be a KIA! It is cheaper, I have all the toys and it rides great!

Don't But a Kia
By karen dowds on 05/02/09 04:33 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Experienced what felt like a transmission slipping problem before warranty was up - dealer test drove car with me and felt problem but wouldn't svc it without check engine light being on. Light came on finally and fun began. Murray, dealer, monkeyed with car 6 times and light kept coming back on - problem grew worse till car would stop. Had to go to Eastern Regional Office to open a case. After 6 more trips to dealer and a special kia tech having to come out to look at car (tech had to come out for other cars that Murray couldn't fix too) and replacement of wire harness ($900 part which did not correct problem), another tech FINALLY found o2 sensor problem, light off for 5 days.

Great first time car!
By Rob Richter on 04/29/09 16:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Spectra for 2 years now and not once have I been to the mechanic for any problems. I've put about 13,000 miles on it and so far so good. City mileage is about 22-23 not bad but could be a little better. Transmission is kinda rough shifting from third to fourth gear sometimes. If you can find a low mileage Spectra (the newer models are even better in my opinion) you will not be dissapointed!