Used 2004 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

PROBLEM FROM DAY 1
By debrastark

2004 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle from a Barrie Ontario dealer in Sept 2004..it had 18000 on it (I was told it was a rental car b4 I bought it)-in any case the check engine light was on from day one. The most disturbing is when you would go it would hesitate and not seem to "catch" a gear..no power-you would turn it off turn back on and it would seem to reset itself. I took it to Barrie Kia before we moved and they said "if the problem isnt occuring right then we cant see it"-I told them while it's still under 20,000 if I find its transmisison related later I wont be happy. In any case I now work at Honda (thank the lands) I have thus far replaced the alternator and battery. There are FIVE codes (all

all transmision based. Ki Canada said they have NEVER hear of this issue-which I was almost sideswiped with kids in car becasue it's gotten sooo bad(and doesnt "reset" iteself anymore!!Just called there as my work said to me "Its gona cost you 3-4 thousand-just grab another car)..anyhow-Barrie kia is passing th ebuck here and states that my records are deep in storage and now I have to PROVE my transmisison was alwasy an issue!!!..WTH???..So now I gota try to find my service papers and pray trans fluid was done..as this was a problem from day 1_i dont find this fair!

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!!...

Will stay with Kia
By sargrebe

2004 Kia Spectra LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our first new car in 04. It is technically an 04 model, with an 05 body style. We loved this car so much that when my husband wanted a new one we bought an 08 manual for him. Great Gas mileage! Great starter car for a young family. The only cons are that the gas tank straps failed after 5 years, and I had to have those replaced, scary! And the interior after 8 years is failing, seat is falling apart.

Good Car for the Price
By lorijohnston

2004 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I am surprised at some of the other reviews. I bought this car used with 16,000 in early 2005. At the time, I needed an inexpensive and reliable car to get me back and forth between work, home and school. Six years later, I still own the car and I still love it. The only major expense was a timing belt change at 102,000 miles. Over the years I have had only one mysterious problem. The transmission at times would stick in one gear. Every time I have encountered this issue, I simply pulled over, put the car in park for a second, returned the car to drive and the problem ended. I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone who needed reliability & affordability. I own 2 Kias today!

Decent gas mileage 25-30 gallons and the reliability - no major repairs until over 100,000 miles.

Investigate the mysterious sticking transmission.

Questionable reliability
By FASV

2004 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I still like this car; however; only after 55,000 miles the alternator failed and at 67,000 the ac compressor had to be rebuilt. The alternator repair was covered by the warranty but the ac I had to pay for it. Recently I replaced the brakes for the first time and the timing belt and engine belts. Tires twice and battery twice as well. Other than that I still like the car but will think twice again of buying another Kia. The 60,000 miles warranty is for a reason.

Ride comfort interior space well designed dashboard and instruments paint quality seats fabric quality

Model already substituted by the forte

Cleaned out my wallet
By Bernice

2004 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this Spectra used at 32,000. Following year we put in a new clutch. We had 4 CV joints put in and now the Rack and Pinion is gone. Car is at 64000 miles. The dealership wants $1200 to replace. Called Kia and they offered no help. Have spent tons of money on this car and it always makes funny noises. I found a friend to replace rack with a used one for $250.00. I am stuck with this car for now but would never buy anything from KIA.

I like a manual transmision

Better quality of parts and take care of your customers. If you take care of the people buying your products they will take care of YOU.