2003 Kia Spectra Consumer Review: Cheap and reliable

2003 Kia Spectra - Consumer Review

GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Cheap and reliable
By Andrew Dietz on

2003 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I put almost 120,000 miles on this car before I traded it in for my new car (not a Kia). The price was cheap and for the cost, the car ran pretty reliably. I never had any major repairs needed - just normal maintenance stuff like the timing belt. The brake systems needed a LOT of repairs over the years though. I had to replace rotors with every set of brakes and I had the brake calipers replaced once as well. I was told it was due to Kia's "small parts". The car was fun to drive, and I felt like I could drive rough with it when I needed to and it would hold up well. It blows around a little too much in the wind though. I did find the seats very uncomfortable, though.

Car drove well and was really easy to maneuver. Hatchback style had an enormous amount of trunk space.

More comfort on the seats. Better seals on the windows. Brake replacement is both expensive and a big hassle.