Used 2003 Kia Spectra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Even the base model is a good deal!!
By travisp11

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After getting tired of paying GM for spare parts for our 1996 Olds' wagon...we decided to go Korean. We bought our base-trim 2003 Spectra for $11,000(Automatic with A/C and a CD player)after rebates and feel like we got a great deal. It is impossible to find another car, brand new, for this price with this great of a warranty (aside from Hyundai which is similar). A friend of mine bought a Sephia in 2000 and after 60,000 miles his is still running strong and if ours should not be doing so well in a few years, who cares...Kia fits the mechanic bill on major components!!

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage. Standard CD player is a bonus. This car also has a fairly smooth, and quiet powertrain unless under hard acceleration then the engine buzzes a bit.

Suggested Improvements

Make tilt steering standard...Also with my 6' frame, my legs are sometimes lacking in leg room and the steering wheel is up a bit high and far away for optimum driving position. Make cruise control standard.

Very disappointed!!!!!!!
By Denise Abel

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought 2 2003 spectras in May 2003 and am very shocked at the depreciation of these vehicles. We have two identical cars but they both drive differently. Mine has looser steering and my husband's feels like manual steering. We were told by the Kia place when my husband took his car in that this was normal. We paid $13,200 for each car (in trade) and now cannot get over $6000 for them in trade. Have not been able to sell the cars to private party because no one wants to buy them!!!! Very cheaply made! My husbands whole front bumper cover fell off and cost $1400 to fix. We are getting rid of both by this Friday.

Favorite Features

A/C

Suggested Improvements

Drop price, needs better quality material in exterior/interior. Dealers need to be honest as to how cheap these cars are!

The worse vehicle I have ever owned
By silky99x

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I mistakenly gave this vehice a good rating back in June 2003. Now just 6 months later, I'm about to take it in for a warranty repair for the 2nd time. The brake Master Cylinder went bad in NOV 2003. Now the Power Steering unit is leaking. So far, all is covered under the warranty. I gave the local service center a poor rating since it took them 4 days to get and replace the Master Cylinder. They told me to take my care somewhere else in the future to get warranty work. How bad can a major car dealer be. The worse. Never again, will I buy a Kia. I should have stuck with a Toyota.

Favorite Features

Cheap Auto Insurance and after reading my poor review, you will see why it's so cheap.

Suggested Improvements

Kia can improve by not making or selling any cars in the US.

Great Around Town OR Highway Car!
By gmhummer03

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

If you are looking for Point A to B travel. This car will do it for you. The A/C will freeze you. The Radio / CD player will knock your socks off. Transmission shifts like a sports car. AND it looks sporty!

Favorite Features

It starts every time.

Suggested Improvements

Better Gas Mileage Mine gets about 275 Miles Per Tank. Maybe a V6 model with sunroof?

Kia Spectra
By Pfri12

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This was my first new car. Iwasn't sure if I would like a small car. I'm used to driving a full size van. After driveing it for a few weeks I love it. The interior is nice and roomey.Everything that Edmunds has said I would have to disagree. I have had no trouble with my brakes at all.

Favorite Features

I like the sound system,and the seat are confortable.

Suggested Improvements

Should have more extra then what it does.