2003 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
Kia Spectra
By maui on 01/29/06 12:04 PM (PST)

2003 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Kia for 2 years and have been very pleased with the handling and driving capabilities of it. I am satisfied with the service provided and would recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a 4 door sedan, with all the toys, for an affordable, reasonable price. I am less pleased with the ride but feel that better tires than those initially provided would improve this. Overall, this car has been a wonderful addition to our family.

Reliable Spectra
By Sean Watters on 01/11/06 19:58 PM (PST)

2003 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for the past two years and the only complaint that I have is the fact that it is a smaller car. It is obvious that a car that performs this well on and offroad, (from my experience) that size does not matter. I am extremely satisfied with this vehicle and believe that this car is perfect for college students or the everyday on the go person. It never crossed my mind when I got the car that I would be this satisfied with it. Since I have had this car, I have put 39,000 miles on it and it runs just as well as it did when I first purchased the car. In short, this car is a very reliable car as long as it is well maintained.

Poor review on my '03 Spectra
By Myers712924 on 09/05/05 23:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My Spectra is on the verge of being a lemon. I have had the transmission replaced twice. The rotors have been chewed up by the brake pads and they weren't even 60% used up and the dealership didn't want to cover that one. They say more than 50% and it's not covered. After haggling with them, they FINALLY agreed to replace the rotors, which I'm not sure they did, because 10 months later, I am needing new ones again. They put that they wouldn't cover rotors any longer in the computer last time there was a problem, so now I'm hung out to dry. The pads are AGAIN about 60% used. The driver seat replaced due to springs popping out of it, the seat belts replaced for not working properly, and much more.

kat drives the Kia
By kia kat on 08/13/05 20:22 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Spectra for 28 months now and it has just turned 60,000 miles. I do a huge amount of driving. Have not put a lot of money in to it other than just regular maintenance (very good about getting oil changes at 3,000 miles). I think this vehicle is definitely underrated. I always go by that saying "you take care of it, and it will take care of you".

GREAT LITTLE CAR
By COREY on 08/04/05 13:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third KIA. They are terribly underrated. Between the three I have logged over 150,000 miles without any trouble whatsoever. The Spectra I just recently purchased is fully loaded, awesome 6 speaker CD player, puts my brother's Mazda 3 to shame. To anyone thinking of buying one, they are a good vehicle, could use a little more power though.

great value!!!
By jin1028 on 03/29/05 03:31 AM (PST)

2003 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased spectra as commute car which I drive more then 80miles a day. It has been great! never had a problem and very affordable then any other competitor vehicles.It is not roomy or stong performance as what I expected but I can't complain about value.I have been shopping over least 5 different vehicles but Spectra had great value overall and has best warranty... It was least $4000 cheaper then honda civic or toyota corolla...I owned for almost 2 years and never had any problems and only maintenance I do just change engine oil...I have about 59000miles already and I am gonna go for least 200k miles.

Great Value!
By Nicodemus on 06/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I were second-time new car buyers and were looking to step up from the 2002 Spectra we had bought the year previous. We got the GSX, which has the power windows and door locks, power mirrors and tach. The CD player was nice, but we have our own in it. The stock speakers have been just fine, and it rides quite well for a vehicle with such a short wheel base. The small engine is our main problem, as we live in a mountainous area and have to turn off the O/D and A/C to climb the hills. Overall, however, we've had NO trouble out of this car and have only had to take it in for normal upkeep.

Corolla VS. Spectra--2 months later
By vallet1 on 05/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Ok, I have to admit--I was wrong. I have had nothing but problems with this car. It has been in the shop 3 times (the closest dealer is 60 miles away). Luckily it has all been covered under the warranty. But, it is a hassel to be without a car and to beg for rides to pick-up the car from friends. I think that I can claim this car as a lemon soon.

I have owned two
By Graham Johnson on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned Two, a 2001 as a lease and never had a minutes problems. Idecided at 98,000 kilometers, that a lease was not for me, so I bought a new spectra in August 2003 I love my car, I bought a Dodge Minivan new fully loaded and it fell apart as I drove it and so I decided to go to a foreign car I had good things about Kia and I have not had a complaint. These cars are terribly under rated!I have enjoyed my two, and I live in the country in southern Alberta, adn30miles to work and it is extremely good on winter roads

Corolla VS. Spectra
By vallet1 on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Kia Spectra GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I won a 2003 GSX on E-bay for only $5000. The car had only 13,000 miles on it. I thought that I would try to "turn a fast profit" by selling it locally for $8000. Well, I spent $200 in ads and brought it to a local car lot and after 3 months I could not sell it for even $7000. I had a 2003 Toyota Corolla and needed to get rid of ANY car I could. I wound-up selling the Corolla for $13,000 and used the profit to pay-off the Kia. I now own (free and clear) and have been driving the Kia for 3 weeks. I find the Kia to be a much better car than the Toyota. It rides better, looks better and is more comfortable.