2003 Kia Spectra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
harsh ride, otherwise ok
By Steven on 02/02/06 05:54 AM (PST)

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Just purchased this car two weeks ago, mostly based on ratings at this site coupled with the cheap price and good gas mileage. I did not notice on the test drive how noisy the ride is. Every pebble feels like a pothole and need to have radio on to drown out the engine noise. Am told by mechanics that this is how they sound and you get what you pay for. Would rather have an older Corolla.

Kia Spectra
By maui on 01/29/06 12:04 PM (PST)

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Kia for 2 years and have been very pleased with the handling and driving capabilities of it. I am satisfied with the service provided and would recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a 4 door sedan, with all the toys, for an affordable, reasonable price. I am less pleased with the ride but feel that better tires than those initially provided would improve this. Overall, this car has been a wonderful addition to our family.

Reliable Spectra
By Sean Watters on 01/11/06 19:58 PM (PST)

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for the past two years and the only complaint that I have is the fact that it is a smaller car. It is obvious that a car that performs this well on and offroad, (from my experience) that size does not matter. I am extremely satisfied with this vehicle and believe that this car is perfect for college students or the everyday on the go person. It never crossed my mind when I got the car that I would be this satisfied with it. Since I have had this car, I have put 39,000 miles on it and it runs just as well as it did when I first purchased the car. In short, this car is a very reliable car as long as it is well maintained.

Poor review on my '03 Spectra
By Myers712924 on 09/05/05 23:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My Spectra is on the verge of being a lemon. I have had the transmission replaced twice. The rotors have been chewed up by the brake pads and they weren't even 60% used up and the dealership didn't want to cover that one. They say more than 50% and it's not covered. After haggling with them, they FINALLY agreed to replace the rotors, which I'm not sure they did, because 10 months later, I am needing new ones again. They put that they wouldn't cover rotors any longer in the computer last time there was a problem, so now I'm hung out to dry. The pads are AGAIN about 60% used. The driver seat replaced due to springs popping out of it, the seat belts replaced for not working properly, and much more.

kat drives the Kia
By kia kat on 08/13/05 20:22 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Spectra for 28 months now and it has just turned 60,000 miles. I do a huge amount of driving. Have not put a lot of money in to it other than just regular maintenance (very good about getting oil changes at 3,000 miles). I think this vehicle is definitely underrated. I always go by that saying "you take care of it, and it will take care of you".

GREAT LITTLE CAR
By COREY on 08/04/05 13:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third KIA. They are terribly underrated. Between the three I have logged over 150,000 miles without any trouble whatsoever. The Spectra I just recently purchased is fully loaded, awesome 6 speaker CD player, puts my brother's Mazda 3 to shame. To anyone thinking of buying one, they are a good vehicle, could use a little more power though.

great value!!!
By jin1028 on 03/29/05 03:31 AM (PST)

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased spectra as commute car which I drive more then 80miles a day. It has been great! never had a problem and very affordable then any other competitor vehicles.It is not roomy or stong performance as what I expected but I can't complain about value.I have been shopping over least 5 different vehicles but Spectra had great value overall and has best warranty... It was least $4000 cheaper then honda civic or toyota corolla...I owned for almost 2 years and never had any problems and only maintenance I do just change engine oil...I have about 59000miles already and I am gonna go for least 200k miles.

I have owned two
By Graham Johnson on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned Two, a 2001 as a lease and never had a minutes problems. Idecided at 98,000 kilometers, that a lease was not for me, so I bought a new spectra in August 2003 I love my car, I bought a Dodge Minivan new fully loaded and it fell apart as I drove it and so I decided to go to a foreign car I had good things about Kia and I have not had a complaint. These cars are terribly under rated!I have enjoyed my two, and I live in the country in southern Alberta, adn30miles to work and it is extremely good on winter roads

Spectra review
By Tracy Lewis on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have been extremely pleased with the KIA vehicles... I purchased a Sedona Mini Van 8 months ago and LOVE it...I appreciate alot of the standards that come with the KIA vehicles (air conditioning, CD player, etc..) I just purchased the Spectra and love it... there is plenty of interior room for myself and my son (who sits in a car seat in the back)... its a very smooth ride on the highway... and much more pick-up than i expected. There is also alot of trunk space (which is surprising b/c the vehicle looks so small from the outside...)

The next Civic?
By wbishop311 on 01/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Since my purchase, I have been exceptionally pleased with my Kia Spectra. With tight handling, good pickup with a 5-speed, smooth riding, and sleek style, my Spectra has pleased me beyond my expectations. I have most options and would definitely recommend this car in a 5-speed style to my friends and family.