Used 2003 Kia Spectra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Most Helpful|
Average car
By Chris L

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

If you're looking for an average vehicle, this is it. It has 4 wheels, an engine, and it gets you from point A to point B. We've only owned it for a few years, gone from about 65k to 95k miles, and we've had a few issues. The serpentine belt began squeaking during our first winter and eventually snapped, killing the power steering. We've had the belt replaced 3 or 4 times now, and I'm sure we'll have to do so again in the future. The AC also died in relation to fixing the belt somehow, and the muffler pipe needed replacing about a year or so after buying the car, which we finally replaced. A loud muffler is something I wish upon no one.

Favorite Features

It is a comfy ride and there's a lot of space in the interior. When the muffler is okay, it has great pick up.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality for sure. I hope the Kia's today are better built.

Yet another big mistake
By dswanson1

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought it and withing 3 months had to put a new transmission into it. That was under 100000 miles. It has been back into the shop 6 more times so far and we are only at 106000 miles. Nothing but issues left and right. Everything seems to break. Unfortunately we financed and are stuck with it for the next 2 years.

Favorite Features

27 MPG

Suggested Improvements

Everything

Go have 10 root canals!
By dean_o

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This was the most painful vehicle I have ever owned. We bought it used, and with in the first month had to have 2 transmissions put in. What kind of car needs that? The interior is just an awful design. The alternator went 3 times! The front wheel mounts on both sides were shot. The seat belt buckle broke, come one. The cruise control worked went it wanted too. And for 3 years the check engine light was on and after numerous checks by mechanics no one could get it to turn off and stay off. If you have a choice of someone giving you a Kia Spectra or having to pay for 10 root canals... take the root canals!

Favorite Features

Favourite feature? It is now a big square pile of scrap metal.

Suggested Improvements

Take the radiator cap off and screw a new car underneath.

Love my Kia!
By kiersten565

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've been driving my Kia for almost four years now, it was used as my dad's commuter car. I now have 220,000 miles on it and still going strong! Tires have been replaced, along with a new fuel filter and occasional oil changes and tire rotations but nothing major. I put almost 100 miles on it a day and it has great gas mileage. I'm so surprised at how long it's lasted for me. I will be very sad the day it gives up!

Love my Spectra
By mikewilks52

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Spectra used, it had 120,000 miles on it when i bought it. It now has 171,674 miles on it. Have only had to replace the water pump. Runs great, drives great. Have never had a problem with it. Keep up your maintance and i've heard it's nothing to get 500,000+ miles on a KIA.. Love my Spectra.. My next purchase will be a KIA Soul.. Very happy with KIA's.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable and roomy interior. Lots of trunk space. I do wish it had cruise controll.

Suggested Improvements

Dash of the cars could use some inproving on.