2003 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
Love my KIA Spectra
By Love my spectra on 06/15/10 17:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been extremely reliable, the only thing it has been in the shop for is regular maintenance. The gas mileage has been phenomenal consistently near 30 mpg freeway, and mid to upper 20's in town. This is a great car I am sad to have to sell it. The one draw back on this car is that it does not work well for a growing family.

4 OC/7yrs
By Gen on 05/24/10 22:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for almost 7 years now and have actually only changed the oil 4 times. (Yes I know very stupid.) But here is the cool thing, it still runs great. I just hit 100,000 miles and no major problems. Have to change the headlights about every 6 months and the AC has a mind of its own but other then that really dependable.

Great car
By Robert Huffman on 04/16/10 02:24 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Best car have owned, first and only repair one coil burn out, 700 dollar repair, but this is first spent on car ever, other than regular maintenance

Cheap used car, wouldn't buy new
By Kia Driver on 03/15/10 17:43 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I find this to be a decent used car for someone just learning to drive or looking for nothing more than point A to point B transportation. It's been pretty reliable although when things do break, they are expensive to repair. Many parts have to be ordered from Korea and it's hard to find a mechanic that will work on them. Very difficult to work on yourself as well. The "little things" like interior trim and such start falling apart around 50k miles though. By 87K the dash was warped, interior trim always falling off, drivers seat no longer went back, and power windows only worked sometimes. The drive train itself is fairly reliable though.

Fell apart (& short of expectations)
By pfft on 02/15/10 19:05 PM (PST)

2003 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Spectra used with about 100,000 miles on it and put 80,000 on it before the transmission completely blew (more expensive to fix than the KBB on the car). The seats were really uncomfortable and it wasn't good for long trips because the steering wheel couldn't be adjusted so it touched my knees the entire time. Little things started breaking (both sun visors fell off, the weather stripping completely dropped off two windows, all but one speaker blew out, heat/air conditioning issues, glove compartment latch broke, dome light switch got touchy, etc). The oil changes were nearly impossible to do at home due to inaccessible location of oil drain. The car only lived for 6 years total.

Review on 2003 KIA Spectra - After 6 Yrs
By David S on 07/09/09 15:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I am writing a quick review on my 2003 KIA Spectra. I purchased this car brand new, only 4 miles on it, in March of 2003. 6 Years and 110K miles later, the car is in great shape! No mechanical issues, no leaks. Paint is in excellent condition and it still drives great! I have only had to replace the battery and get new tires. Otherwise, followng the maintenance list, this car has held up wonderfully!

KIA Spectra
By Robin Skipper on 05/26/09 07:05 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been a nuisance since I bought it. I liked the look of it but I wish the people who sold it to me were a bit more honest. I think it had been in an accident and they didn't tell me. It was not detailed very well. The car itself has been nothing but trouble. I have put quite a bit of money into it. I will have it paid for in Oct. However, it now needs a catalytic converter. It's time to get rid of it. I hope I can get a decent price as I do not want a car payment. Thank you

Good and Bad
By susiebelle on 12/17/08 09:38 AM (PST)

2003 Kia Spectra GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Car is cute, gets great gas mileage. I bought my car new. Had to change the tires by 30K Replaced brake pads and rotors twice. Replace battery. Driver side locks broken & sometimes won't unlock and I have to crawl through the passenger side. Driver side window roller broke, Alternator going out. Problem with steering system. Hatchback cover broke within a week. Rear window brake light is falling apart from sun damage (I live in Indiana & typically don't have this problem). Brake lights are a pain to change..have to remove whole back panel of car. Very lightweight car and blows around on windy day

Five years later!
By lovemykia! on 11/12/08 08:51 AM (PST)

2003 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2003 and I still love it! One review said it doesn't have child locks, but it does! Only a couple repairs and this car has been driven to death with very little maintenance. Had to take it to the dealer early on, forget what it was for but they fixed it at no charge. At 100K mi I just replaced the belt. It's needed five or six new headlights, brake pads at 60-70K, a new battery earlier this year, and only fully replaced tires once for wear. And my sun visor is broken. The car sucks up gas with the AC on high, even on the highway. Other than that, no trouble whatsoever and I give it a dependable rating of "10"

Kia Spectra a good car
By dkrosell on 06/05/08 13:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Having previously owned several Toyota Camrys, we were surprised to find the Kia Spectra so reliable. We never had to have it repaired - only maintenance in the 5 years we owned.