Used 2003 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Love my Spectra
By mikewilks52

2003 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Spectra used, it had 120,000 miles on it when i bought it. It now has 171,674 miles on it. Have only had to replace the water pump. Runs great, drives great. Have never had a problem with it. Keep up your maintance and i've heard it's nothing to get 500,000+ miles on a KIA.. Love my Spectra.. My next purchase will be a KIA Soul.. Very happy with KIA's.

Very comfortable and roomy interior. Lots of trunk space. I do wish it had cruise controll.

Dash of the cars could use some inproving on.

Nothing but problems
By msbolshevik

2003 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 03 Spectra new from a dealer, and I have driven it for 9 years. When I drove off the lot, IT DIED at the 1st intersection. They had to replace the entire computer system because it was faulty. Luckily, that was covered under warranty, but everything that followed was not. The entire engine seized up for no reason about 3 months later. I had to replace the transmission within the first couple years (and then a second time about 3 more years down the road). There have been several other smaller issues, but these are the majors. I don't know why I kept it so long. I guess the last 3 years it was somewhat more dependable (because I had replaced everything inside)!

Go have 10 root canals!
By dean_o

2003 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This was the most painful vehicle I have ever owned. We bought it used, and with in the first month had to have 2 transmissions put in. What kind of car needs that? The interior is just an awful design. The alternator went 3 times! The front wheel mounts on both sides were shot. The seat belt buckle broke, come one. The cruise control worked went it wanted too. And for 3 years the check engine light was on and after numerous checks by mechanics no one could get it to turn off and stay off. If you have a choice of someone giving you a Kia Spectra or having to pay for 10 root canals... take the root canals!

Favourite feature? It is now a big square pile of scrap metal.

Take the radiator cap off and screw a new car underneath.

Good and cheap to fix if you Know
By Antonio Colon

2003 Kia Spectra GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We have it since new and i am a drummer and have to travel a lot in PR the only problem that i had with it was the window that broke the power window cable and a small damage on the material of the seats that is weak.but for the rest is ok.

the gas economize on high way is great and the back space is better

open market for replacements

Average car
By Chris L

2003 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

If you're looking for an average vehicle, this is it. It has 4 wheels, an engine, and it gets you from point A to point B. We've only owned it for a few years, gone from about 65k to 95k miles, and we've had a few issues. The serpentine belt began squeaking during our first winter and eventually snapped, killing the power steering. We've had the belt replaced 3 or 4 times now, and I'm sure we'll have to do so again in the future. The AC also died in relation to fixing the belt somehow, and the muffler pipe needed replacing about a year or so after buying the car, which we finally replaced. A loud muffler is something I wish upon no one.

It is a comfy ride and there's a lot of space in the interior. When the muffler is okay, it has great pick up.

Better quality for sure. I hope the Kia's today are better built.