2003 Kia Spectra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
Yet another big mistake
By dswanson1 on 04/10/13 19:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought it and withing 3 months had to put a new transmission into it. That was under 100000 miles. It has been back into the shop 6 more times so far and we are only at 106000 miles. Nothing but issues left and right. Everything seems to break. Unfortunately we financed and are stuck with it for the next 2 years.

Solid so Far
By deathsaid on 12/08/12 19:03 PM (PST)

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Our Spectra has 120, 000 miles on it and has been pretty reliable so far. I have it for the last 20K or so and before that my father-in-law owned it. It has gone through some brakes and needed some work to fix in the brake fluid system. Front brakes put off a lot of dirt, hubcaps are literally black at this point. All things considered this car has been great, not the sexiest car or most comfy (i am 6'6) but very dependable. Nothing fancy or flashy about it but it gets from point A to point B.

Love my Kia!
By kiersten565 on 07/10/12 13:47 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've been driving my Kia for almost four years now, it was used as my dad's commuter car. I now have 220,000 miles on it and still going strong! Tires have been replaced, along with a new fuel filter and occasional oil changes and tire rotations but nothing major. I put almost 100 miles on it a day and it has great gas mileage. I'm so surprised at how long it's lasted for me. I will be very sad the day it gives up!

Love my Spectra
By mikewilks52 on 06/25/12 11:01 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Spectra used, it had 120,000 miles on it when i bought it. It now has 171,674 miles on it. Have only had to replace the water pump. Runs great, drives great. Have never had a problem with it. Keep up your maintance and i've heard it's nothing to get 500,000+ miles on a KIA.. Love my Spectra.. My next purchase will be a KIA Soul.. Very happy with KIA's.

Nothing but problems
By msbolshevik on 04/19/12 09:21 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 03 Spectra new from a dealer, and I have driven it for 9 years. When I drove off the lot, IT DIED at the 1st intersection. They had to replace the entire computer system because it was faulty. Luckily, that was covered under warranty, but everything that followed was not. The entire engine seized up for no reason about 3 months later. I had to replace the transmission within the first couple years (and then a second time about 3 more years down the road). There have been several other smaller issues, but these are the majors. I don't know why I kept it so long. I guess the last 3 years it was somewhat more dependable (because I had replaced everything inside)!

Go have 10 root canals!
By dean_o on 04/01/11 09:47 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This was the most painful vehicle I have ever owned. We bought it used, and with in the first month had to have 2 transmissions put in. What kind of car needs that? The interior is just an awful design. The alternator went 3 times! The front wheel mounts on both sides were shot. The seat belt buckle broke, come one. The cruise control worked went it wanted too. And for 3 years the check engine light was on and after numerous checks by mechanics no one could get it to turn off and stay off. If you have a choice of someone giving you a Kia Spectra or having to pay for 10 root canals... take the root canals!

Average car
By Chris L on 07/08/10 18:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

If you're looking for an average vehicle, this is it. It has 4 wheels, an engine, and it gets you from point A to point B. We've only owned it for a few years, gone from about 65k to 95k miles, and we've had a few issues. The serpentine belt began squeaking during our first winter and eventually snapped, killing the power steering. We've had the belt replaced 3 or 4 times now, and I'm sure we'll have to do so again in the future. The AC also died in relation to fixing the belt somehow, and the muffler pipe needed replacing about a year or so after buying the car, which we finally replaced. A loud muffler is something I wish upon no one.

4 OC/7yrs
By Gen on 05/24/10 22:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for almost 7 years now and have actually only changed the oil 4 times. (Yes I know very stupid.) But here is the cool thing, it still runs great. I just hit 100,000 miles and no major problems. Have to change the headlights about every 6 months and the AC has a mind of its own but other then that really dependable.

Great car
By Robert Huffman on 04/16/10 02:24 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Best car have owned, first and only repair one coil burn out, 700 dollar repair, but this is first spent on car ever, other than regular maintenance

Cheap used car, wouldn't buy new
By Kia Driver on 03/15/10 17:43 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I find this to be a decent used car for someone just learning to drive or looking for nothing more than point A to point B transportation. It's been pretty reliable although when things do break, they are expensive to repair. Many parts have to be ordered from Korea and it's hard to find a mechanic that will work on them. Very difficult to work on yourself as well. The "little things" like interior trim and such start falling apart around 50k miles though. By 87K the dash was warped, interior trim always falling off, drivers seat no longer went back, and power windows only worked sometimes. The drive train itself is fairly reliable though.