Used 2003 Kia Spectra Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Kia Spectra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2003 Kia Spectra Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Second owner, purchased with 50,000 miles on it
By kimllopez

2003 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased this car in 2009 with 50,000 miles on the engine. With the bald tires on the car, it road like a roller coaster ride on the freeway. Purchased new tires and it drove almost 100% better. Replaced the entire radiator about 2 years later. Replaced the ball joint 6 months before that. Replaced the right passenger side head light about 5 times since we purchased the car, at some point it completely stopped working and my husband switched around the light from the brights to the regular headlight to salvage it. Parts are extremely hard to find for this car, we've usually have to purchase online and when we do find the part in store it is usually more expensive than say a honday or acura.

I like the deep trunk.

the right headlight seems to be faulty. Keep having to replace just that side.

Worst car I've ever owned
By lissal

2003 Kia Spectra Hatchback GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car new, and owned it for 5 years.
In that time, I replaced the serpentine belt 3 times, the alternator once, the radiator twice (the replacement from the Kia garage had a hole in it, though it was supposedly a new part), and the alternator belt 4 times.
The electrical system started acting wonky after three years, and after spending 2 months in the Kia garage, I got it back but the internal lights never worked after that.
I cut my losses and gave the car to a friend, who told me that the engine died at 78,000 miles.
I would never again buy a Kia.

Good and cheap to fix if you Know
By Antonio Colon

2003 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We have it since new and i am a drummer and have to travel a lot in PR the only problem that i had with it was the window that broke the power window cable and a small damage on the material of the seats that is weak.but for the rest is ok.

the gas economize on high way is great and the back space is better

open market for replacements

Love my KIA Spectra
By Love my spectra

2003 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been extremely reliable, the only thing it has been in the shop for is regular maintenance. The gas mileage has been phenomenal consistently near 30 mpg freeway, and mid to upper 20's in town. This is a great car I am sad to have to sell it. The one draw back on this car is that it does not work well for a growing family.

The flexible trunk/backseat space. With seats that fold down along with the hatchback you can get all kinds of stuff in this car!

Non that I can think of, I really like it!

Good and Bad
By susiebelle

2003 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Car is cute, gets great gas mileage. I bought my car new. Had to change the tires by 30K Replaced brake pads and rotors twice. Replace battery. Driver side locks broken & sometimes won't unlock and I have to crawl through the passenger side. Driver side window roller broke, Alternator going out. Problem with steering system. Hatchback cover broke within a week. Rear window brake light is falling apart from sun damage (I live in Indiana & typically don't have this problem). Brake lights are a pain to change..have to remove whole back panel of car. Very lightweight car and blows around on windy day

CD player, folding seats, hatchback.

More stability, improve quality of plastic in interior, so it doesn't crack from sun. Better brakes, better tires, better locking system, stronger windshield, make it easier to change light bulbs, more leg room in back seat. More durable parts