Used 2003 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

2003 Kia Spectra

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Second owner, purchased with 50,000 miles on it
By kimllopez

2003 Kia Spectra GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased this car in 2009 with 50,000 miles on the engine. With the bald tires on the car, it road like a roller coaster ride on the freeway. Purchased new tires and it drove almost 100% better. Replaced the entire radiator about 2 years later. Replaced the ball joint 6 months before that. Replaced the right passenger side head light about 5 times since we purchased the car, at some point it completely stopped working and my husband switched around the light from the brights to the regular headlight to salvage it. Parts are extremely hard to find for this car, we've usually have to purchase online and when we do find the part in store it is usually more expensive than say a honday or acura.

Favorite Features

I like the deep trunk.

Suggested Improvements

the right headlight seems to be faulty. Keep having to replace just that side.

Worst car I've ever owned
By lissal

2003 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car new, and owned it for 5 years. In that time, I replaced the serpentine belt 3 times, the alternator once, the radiator twice (the replacement from the Kia garage had a hole in it, though it was supposedly a new part), and the alternator belt 4 times. The electrical system started acting wonky after three years, and after spending 2 months in the Kia garage, I got it back but the internal lights never worked after that. I cut my losses and gave the car to a friend, who told me that the engine died at 78,000 miles. I would never again buy a Kia.

Yet another big mistake
By dswanson1

2003 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought it and withing 3 months had to put a new transmission into it. That was under 100000 miles. It has been back into the shop 6 more times so far and we are only at 106000 miles. Nothing but issues left and right. Everything seems to break. Unfortunately we financed and are stuck with it for the next 2 years.

Favorite Features

27 MPG

Suggested Improvements

Everything

Solid so Far
By deathsaid

2003 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Our Spectra has 120, 000 miles on it and has been pretty reliable so far. I have it for the last 20K or so and before that my father-in-law owned it. It has gone through some brakes and needed some work to fix in the brake fluid system. Front brakes put off a lot of dirt, hubcaps are literally black at this point. All things considered this car has been great, not the sexiest car or most comfy (i am 6'6) but very dependable. Nothing fancy or flashy about it but it gets from point A to point B.

Love my Kia!
By kiersten565

2003 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've been driving my Kia for almost four years now, it was used as my dad's commuter car. I now have 220,000 miles on it and still going strong! Tires have been replaced, along with a new fuel filter and occasional oil changes and tire rotations but nothing major. I put almost 100 miles on it a day and it has great gas mileage. I'm so surprised at how long it's lasted for me. I will be very sad the day it gives up!