Used 2003 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews - 98 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

2003 Kia Spectra

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Mountain man
By Matt

2003 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 2003 Kia spectra and I drove up Tennessees tallest mountain with it. There were no other cars on the road and I think it took me an hour to get up the mountain. I almost thought I was going to to have to turn back. I had my foot full th royal on the gas and she was doing 30 but she made it up the mountain. I was scared. And one time I lost the front bumper and she ran like a kitten. The Japanese make a really good car and they don't screw me by trying to put sythetic oil in my car. I hate my 2003 Volkswagen all I've done since I had it is repair it.

Second owner, purchased with 50,000 miles on it
By kimllopez

2003 Kia Spectra GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased this car in 2009 with 50,000 miles on the engine. With the bald tires on the car, it road like a roller coaster ride on the freeway. Purchased new tires and it drove almost 100% better. Replaced the entire radiator about 2 years later. Replaced the ball joint 6 months before that. Replaced the right passenger side head light about 5 times since we purchased the car, at some point it completely stopped working and my husband switched around the light from the brights to the regular headlight to salvage it. Parts are extremely hard to find for this car, we've usually have to purchase online and when we do find the part in store it is usually more expensive than say a honday or acura.

I like the deep trunk.

the right headlight seems to be faulty. Keep having to replace just that side.

Worst car I've ever owned
By lissal

2003 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car new, and owned it for 5 years.
In that time, I replaced the serpentine belt 3 times, the alternator once, the radiator twice (the replacement from the Kia garage had a hole in it, though it was supposedly a new part), and the alternator belt 4 times.
The electrical system started acting wonky after three years, and after spending 2 months in the Kia garage, I got it back but the internal lights never worked after that.
I cut my losses and gave the car to a friend, who told me that the engine died at 78,000 miles.
I would never again buy a Kia.

Yet another big mistake
By dswanson1

2003 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought it and withing 3 months had to put a new transmission into it.
That was under 100000 miles.
It has been back into the shop 6 more times so far and we are only at 106000 miles.
Nothing but issues left and right.
Everything seems to break.
Unfortunately we financed and are stuck with it for the next 2 years.

27 MPG

Everything

Solid so Far
By deathsaid

2003 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Our Spectra has 120, 000 miles on it and has been pretty reliable so far.
I have it for the last 20K or so and before that my father-in-law owned it.
It has gone through some brakes and needed some work to fix in the brake fluid system.
Front brakes put off a lot of dirt, hubcaps are literally black at this point.

All things considered this car has been great, not the sexiest car or most comfy (i am 6'6) but very dependable. Nothing fancy or flashy about it but it gets from point A to point B.