Used 2002 Kia Spectra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

eh... it's good for the price
By Jamie

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

It gets me where I need to go. No major problems. The only bad part is the standard interior is not fun. No automatic door locks, windows etc. Other than that, it's not too bad for the low price.

Suggested Improvements

Interior standard features and gas mileage.

Transmissions
By Lori

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

New transmission at 2000 miles - fighting with Kia at 60,000 for 2nd transmission. I like the car fine. It runs well (most of the time), gets ok gas mileage. Only problem I have is at 60,000 miles have to replace timing belt. Warranty does not cover car if this not done at 60,000. Getting ok from KIA for dealer to fix my car is a nightmare.

Suggested Improvements

KIA needs to get on the ball and realize that everything should not be a fight. Double check transmissions.

Great Car
By SAY iT

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

OK, So i bought this car used at about 25k and have had it for 22k. I probably can say that this car is a better performing car than my friend's Civic (in power that is). Great gas mileage, little trouble, except when I had to change my front wheel bearings [covered under warranty even @45K). I am little concerned with the brakes; they tend to be needing readjusting every so often to fix the weak braking power. As second owner I have the 5 year/60k warranty which I have used 3 time's when I locked myself out :-). Mine is a LS 5 speed with everything except the ABS. I LOOOOVE the car. I believe the KIA's need to be taken more seriously.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, engine roar, great looks, reliable, good mpg, great sound system (6 speakers).

Suggested Improvements

Interior coated so won't stain easily, driver seat needs more structure, brakes need attention. Needs more sound insulation (I think that where the engine noise comes from) under the hood.

Review_SS
By S.S

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Thhe performance of this vehicle is quite good. It has good handling and good acceleration. As a result the mileage for city driving is around 19 mpg. However the mileage it gives on the hwy is approximately 30 mpg which I think is not bad. The quality and reliability however is not comparable to a Honda Civic.

Favorite Features

Driver's view, Vanity, Maplights, Powerlocks, Armrests, CD stereo, Cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

Generally the building quility needs to improve. Also the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty is not transferrable when selling. This results in lower resale value after primary warranty expires.

Excellent Product
By Andrew

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Incredible dealership, great value car. Thank God for Kia's high depreciation rate, bad for them but good for me, I'll drive this one into the ground. Extremely cheap extended warranty added 6 yrs, 80K miles! Paying less 180/mo for 48 mos. Comfortable, although I miss power windows and locks.

Favorite Features

Extremely receptive radio.

Suggested Improvements

More standard features, however that will cause the depreciation rate to drop. Cant have cake and eat too I guess...