Used 2002 Kia Spectra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

My 2002 Kia Spectra Reliable
By JED

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have 65,000 miles on it. I only have has minor issues on the car. It's pretty reliable and GREAT on gas. If someone is looking for a car that's economical and can't afford a civic or a corolla this is the car with comparable features as the competitors. I wish Kia and Hyundai would hold their value much better. Overall it's been a great car and Korean have come up in the auto industry.

It's a pretty smooth ride, Gas Hater, and Economic.

Handling is ok, should have a better suspension though, a little more horsepower.

Reliable but falling apart
By jojoberry

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car since 2002, and am the original owner. Mechanically wise, this car has run well- especially for a car with over 130K miles now. Only major mechanical problems would be that the AC compressor has been replaced twice now. The major problems I've had are all small and very annoying things, like the dash warping and the dash vents breaking; the doors will lock and unlock without any prompting; most plastic pieces in the car have broken off (i.e., the mirror covers, the armrest, etc.); the paint faded in under 3 years (BAD fading on the bumpers); the doors won't shut on a cold morning; etc. Overall, the car is a good value for the money, but I don't think I'd own another one.

The car was very sporty looking when it came out, and drove very smooth and well. It is very reliable and the warranty may be worth overlooking the little problems.

New dash material, which I see the new Spectras already have. Better interior materials, better paint.

Can't Be Beat for the Price
By lhartford03

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have found my Kia to be very reliable. Few mechanical problems (I keep up on maintenance). Good pick up for a 4 cyl - I have 5 speed version. Overall, the car has gone above and beyond what I would have expected for the price.

Great pick up and shifting (5 speed)

Only complaint is that if something does go wrong it is very expensive to fix (and tires are expensive too).

Love the Car!!
By mazkds

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Spectra brand new with 28 miles on it. We have not had to put hardly any money into it (besides normal maintenance). We have almost 104,000 miles on it and have taken it on a number of long trips over the eastern half of the US. Our only complaint is that the front bumper is completely faded and the dashboard is warping. So I think the quality could have been a little higher. For $11,000 (brand new) I can't really say that I am disappointed. I think we have a great car and look forward to driving it for many more years. GO KIA!!!

Having no big expenses or mechanical problems related to the vehicle.

Make the dashboard a little more durable and better paint.

Warranty will be used frequently
By Andy

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

2002 Kia Spectra LS is basic transport. I bought car brand new and I am original owner. Some of warranty repairs in chronological order: All items listed are true replacements under warranty - exhaust purge cannister, front brakes, front exhaust, heater switch,drivers back board seat,engine gaskets, front struts replaced, rear main seal leaking, sun visor, arm rest. After timing belt replacement the check engine light came on for eight times, the timing belt was changed incorrectly by dealer. Summary : A big headache to own.

Suspension, steering, air conditioner, heater.

Definitely needs quality control on assembly line. Needs more low end torque for zero to forty miles an hour.