2002 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
Possible Problems
By Jack's kia on 04/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Problamtaic Car. I have had nothing but problems with this car. Had all 4 door sensors replace, throttle plate replaced, ORGR valve recall, seat belt unlatches, transmission problems they cant seam to fix, rear hatch seal wont stay on, cheap interior materials, already show wear, rear hatch never opens with release. Overall needed a inexpensive reliable car, and although it has never left me stranded, will NEVER buy a kia again, or from the dealership (taylor kia) in toledo.

Spectra -economy and practicality
By spectra owner on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car in late 2001, it is my first new vehicle. At the time I was a single mom carting around two boys and all of their junk as well, the car has been reliable and who would not love the 10 yr. warranty. The only problem I have had lies in the hatch release, it works sometimes other times it jams completely. It has been serviced twice relating to this issue and continues to be a problem. All in all I am very happy with the Spectra, it was in my price range and has served me well.

My clutch went out
By estradac17 on 03/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car new and have only put 40000 mile on it the clutch went out my goodyear did the work i have the parts they told me that the clutch was deffective i called kia no help take it to the dealer took it to the dealer just as i thought . its not the clutch it was the way i drive .. im 39years old and have had sticks all my life my nissans have all gotten 150k before they go out ... so much for the long haul warraniy

Spectra's are POS
By pizz on 03/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Spectra in July of 2003. I have had so many things wrong with it since I got it. Right now my clear coat is coming off my car. They are not a good car in the winter because they are so lite. The total amount of time I have taken my car in to get fix in the short time that I have had this car is seven. They might have a good warrenty on it but they wouldn't need to if they made a good car. I know many other people who own a 2002 Spectra and one had to but a new motor in it at 44,000 miles and another one has to get a transmission in the car. No wonder why these cars are cheap.

Worth The Price
By R Tronick on 03/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new 1-1/2 years ago. 5 speed manual transmission, AC, Rear Wiper, CD Player. I've never had any problems. I did get the letter about the cracked ORVR Valve problem, and had my deler replace it. I'm getting good gas mileage (25 city/35 hwy). Tires could be better, but I really haven't had much trouble driving in snow (Wisconsin) or rain. My Spectra is comfortable and fun to drive. A reliable car for the price.

good little car
By sak713 on 01/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

so far the car has been good we had one recall something to do with something in the gas tank but we took it back to the dealer and it was fixed in less then 30 min. so far nothing else has happened. Tires are a different thing.they suck.they need to find a different kind of tire to put on the car they are fine if you dont have to drive in snow. but trust me dont drive the car off the lot in the tires that are on the car if it snowing out. but other then that it a nice car. theres plenty of room in the back for a car seat. but if you have to put two in dont plan on anyone else riding back there. but we like it.

Great car for the $$$
By Jake Dailey on 01/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I can't say anything bad about this car. I've owned it for 9 months and for basic reliable transportation, you can't go wrong. I wouldn't buy it new, since it depreciates so fast, but as a used car, it's not bad! It's fun to drive with the manual tranny, I took a 1st and a 2nd in the local autocrosses with only upgraded 17" wheels and kuhmo tires:) I also added a CD player.

WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER
By VICKIE STONE on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

WE GOT THIS 2002 KIA IN MAY 2002. IN FEB. 2003 PAROMOUNT KIA HAD TO PUT IN A NEW TRANSMISSION AND NOW IT IS DEC.2003 AND THE NEW ONE IS GIVING US TROUBLE. SO WE WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER KIA. WE SEE WHY THEY GIVE THE 10 YEAR/100,000 MILE WAR. . BECAUSE YOU NEED IT .

KIA
By LANCEYOUNG on 11/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

WE WERE DRAWN IN TO THE DEALER BY THE LOW PRICED RIO, AND AFTER HEM AND HAWING AROUND WE TEST DROVE THE SPECTRA, AND THERE WAS NO QUESTION. THE VALUE WAS THERE

Horrible VEhicle
By Kelley W. on 10/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but trouble with this car. It was built cheaply. It shakes and rattles and every month I seem to have to pay for something to get fixed. Warranty is horrible. Wheels and brakes defective! I've had them fixed several times and they continue to cause me problems. It can only get worse.