Used 2002 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

2002 Kia Spectra

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

9 years and still going strong
By nicegirl

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have over 123,000 miles on the car and have had no major repairs, except while under warranty it was discovered that I had a faulty transmission. It was replaced immediately. I agree with an earlier post that repairs, tires, brakes, even windshield wipers are more expensive than they should be. My pain has begun fading as well, but it's been 9 yrs. since I bought it. Very reliable.

She's snarky, but a good friend.
By Aenari

2002 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

It was my first car, and I was pleased. It worked, and the warranty is phenomenal. My power window motors were constantly iffy, but that's small potatoes - it drove, and drove consistently. The dash and what have you are fairly boring. The CD player developed an interesting quirk where it sucks the cd back in when you eject it before you can grab it. That was fun. But it was a dang good value with cruise control to boot. Keep up on the maintenance and she'll behave. She is snarky; it never let me get too attached emotionally. But it was there for me.

Favorite Features

Good amount of room. Gas mileage never bothered me. Stereo is quite satisfying.

Suggested Improvements

The dashboard needed some pizazz! The paint started to come off of the CD controls.

Don't Do it
By Gen

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got a brand new 2002 Kia Spectra. And b/f I was off the lot a headlight was out, it should have been an omen. The windows never worked right, and there was a weird knocking when it rained. And, the alternator was going after only 6 years. Last week, the transmission just went out! We were not going anywhere. $2000.00 worth of repairs on a car with only 136000 miles on it. I have a Subaru Impreza with 196000 miles on it that is 13 years old that is still working great! I only got 400.00 for the car b/c it was just so broken down! My two cents is if you want a car that will give you your moneys worth, buy a Subaru. I had only paid the car off one year b/f it died. Never again!

Favorite Features

It was a relatively nice car, but a short life span. And the tires were always going flat. It does not have any perks. So if you want heated seats and power windows try again. I thought it would go farther and give me more. Instead I got a poor man's car and didn't even get my moneys worth.

Suggested Improvements

It is made for tiny people. Seat belts are useless if you weigh more then 200 lbs. If you are a big guy, you will be strapped in tight. Windows always came off track! Headlight covers yellowed. A mechanic friend told me the life of a trans on a Kia is only 140,000 not long enough!

No way, no how
By jayjay

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Window motor replace, cruise control replace, transmission rebuild by 10,000 miles. Second transmission rebuild (the day after 5 yr warranty was up) gear shaft replaced incorrectly by dealership(and almost killed us) and a new starter by 40,000 miles. KIA would not help us, they were very rude and when our gear shaft fell out, we waited at the side of the road for 5 hrs waiting for them to send a tow. HORRIBLE customer service. And everything is high priced to replace. I'm talking about a bolt costing $270. Before labor. It seemed like a good deal, but we have spent the buying price in repairs. Spend the extra $ for a different car. I have been broke ever since we got it. no way no how.

Favorite Features

gas mileage ... when it's running

Suggested Improvements

don't make it

My 2002 Kia Spectra Reliable
By JED

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have 65,000 miles on it. I only have has minor issues on the car. It's pretty reliable and GREAT on gas. If someone is looking for a car that's economical and can't afford a civic or a corolla this is the car with comparable features as the competitors. I wish Kia and Hyundai would hold their value much better. Overall it's been a great car and Korean have come up in the auto industry.

Favorite Features

It's a pretty smooth ride, Gas Hater, and Economic.

Suggested Improvements

Handling is ok, should have a better suspension though, a little more horsepower.