Used 2002 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Not bad
By Have tons of kias...

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car after owning a 1988 Toyota Corrolla Wagon with 205,000 miles on it. This was a huge upgrade. We have 3 other kias, and we like them quite well. So this was a time to see if Kia's little cars were any good? Well, I'm happy! I've only had to get some belts replaced, and get new tires, other than that, its been a very reliable car. The people who owned it before me had to replace the transmission, and that was it. So I'm happy. There are just a couple of rattling noises, but nothing that the radio turned up really loud cant fix. Gas mileage is so so, should be better in my opinion, but it is far from being bad. I plan on getting 200,000 on this. It currently has 156,100 on it.

Comfort of seats, visibility, smooth ride, and overall looks

Well, this is pointless because they discontinued the Spectra for the 2010 Kia Forte, which looks pretty cool too! LOL!

It's a college student car but not!!!
By Monica

2002 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The only great thing about this car is that it only cost $26 to fill her up. My AC stop working at a certain point now my heater stop working and also my trunk is leaking water which is causing my car to smell like mildew and also my dashborad is rising!!!

GAS $$$

ALL PARTS!!!

Mixed Bag
By LJM

2002 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been good to me, but it has also caused me a LOT of undue stress and financial burden....I have replaced so many parts-my bumper literally just fell off while driving one day, has never been in a collision (to my knowledge) and it just fell right off...was expensive to replace, and then the driver side came loose 2 weeks later, have had to have the alignment redone far too often as it pulls very hard to the right and the heater breaks regularly. The inside of the car has just fallen apart as well, the bolt holding the seat in place fell out and i had to play over $400 to get it fixed, and then told it was not "the perfect fix, but the best they could do..." don't buy..

gas mileage

less crappy interior, higher quality electrical wiring, better suspension, better heater/AC unit (one that won't come unhooked when you change from panel to defrost) overall, it needs a TON of improvements

Not to Shabby
By Chuck

2002 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car w/ 49000 and now have 100000. I have had two wrecks with it and it looks terrible from the outside but I dont care since im a poor college kid. I love the fact that it has no auto locks, auto transmission, or power windows bc ALL of those features eventually go out so that was a plus for me. Of course great on gas, little to no maintenance, and great leg room being that I am 6'5". I have slept in it on numerous occasions on vacations with the seats folded down and is doable. At 98,000 my fuel pump went out and it cost me about $100 for me to replace myself. Timing belt lasted until 98,000 until i replaced it myself-$40. Fuel pump got clogged very early-$15

Light weight, easy fixes (if you can fix cars), tight suspension, 5 speed, fold down seats, Hatchback, great interior seats, timing belt and all drivebelts lasted 98,000 in great condition until i replaced them myself. Great for college. Not a luxury car!!

Interior dashboard, interior plastics, ac compressor

Love my Spectra
By kialover15

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I finally purchased my own car, and the Kia Spectra was a great choice. I love this car, it has great A/C, automatic, and I just bought my own stereo for it, and now it is perfect. This car is very comfortable (coming from someone with a bad back) and it also gets great MPG!!! I average close to 30 mpg everytime, and that is 80% city! The lowest that I have ever gotten was 23 mpg, and I'm still happy with that. The trunk is very nice sized, and it has great visibility. Very well designed car!!

Love the seats, the quality of the speakers, the MPG, and the overall looks.

Not so sensitive of an engine light. Mine is on because of a micro miny leak, and the garage said it wasn't even worth finding, let alone fixing. So, I'm not so worried about it. I'd like to have cruise control, and I would like to be able to adjust the speed of the intermittent wipers.

• SUV