2002 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
eh... it's good for the price
By Jamie on 07/02/06 04:51 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

It gets me where I need to go. No major problems. The only bad part is the standard interior is not fun. No automatic door locks, windows etc. Other than that, it's not too bad for the low price.

Transmissions
By Lori on 05/18/06 14:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

New transmission at 2000 miles - fighting with Kia at 60,000 for 2nd transmission. I like the car fine. It runs well (most of the time), gets ok gas mileage. Only problem I have is at 60,000 miles have to replace timing belt. Warranty does not cover car if this not done at 60,000. Getting ok from KIA for dealer to fix my car is a nightmare.

not bad so far
By kidnoel on 05/11/06 12:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car used about 8 months ago. Had about 40K miles on it. Was concerned it would give me problems right away. Has proved reliable so far. I have been on many road trips. Have only needed regular maintenance. Original brakes haven't needed replacing yet. Love that it hardly looks like a hatchback and people can't even tell what it is. GREAT fuel economy: 28-34. Got 400 miles on a tank last week-all highway.

What do you want from a price point car?
By elderchuck on 01/23/06 13:22 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Sometimes problematic on cheap stuff, but overall fun and economical car to drive and own. Hesitation/surges when warmed up, dealer says "normal" but I say "not". Heard there is a fix but have not found it yet. Would keep car for comfort, economy, price.

Great Car
By SAY iT on 07/30/05 23:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

OK, So i bought this car used at about 25k and have had it for 22k. I probably can say that this car is a better performing car than my friend's Civic (in power that is). Great gas mileage, little trouble, except when I had to change my front wheel bearings [covered under warranty even @45K). I am little concerned with the brakes; they tend to be needing readjusting every so often to fix the weak braking power. As second owner I have the 5 year/60k warranty which I have used 3 time's when I locked myself out :-). Mine is a LS 5 speed with everything except the ABS. I LOOOOVE the car. I believe the KIA's need to be taken more seriously.

Review_SS
By S.S on 04/11/05 13:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Thhe performance of this vehicle is quite good. It has good handling and good acceleration. As a result the mileage for city driving is around 19 mpg. However the mileage it gives on the hwy is approximately 30 mpg which I think is not bad. The quality and reliability however is not comparable to a Honda Civic.

Excellent Product
By Andrew on 12/06/04 19:51 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Incredible dealership, great value car. Thank God for Kia's high depreciation rate, bad for them but good for me, I'll drive this one into the ground. Extremely cheap extended warranty added 6 yrs, 80K miles! Paying less 180/mo for 48 mos. Comfortable, although I miss power windows and locks.

Never again
By anti-kia on 11/16/04 14:09 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The Kia was the right price at the time for a college student. However, in driving the vehicle it was not worth it. The trade in value was only 3000 after a year and a half of driving. I was upside down by 6000. The interior was cheap and all the buttons were chipping paint. The exterior paint could be scratched with a finger nail and then rust immediately. The drivers seat broke and some metal rod was sticking out into the middle of your back. The check engine light kept coming on and the dealer could not find anything wrong. It turned out to be the exhaust system causing the problem. The cover for the speaker broke, as did the weather stripping across the hachback trunk.

My review title
By Gurn Blanston on 09/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in 2002. Haven't had any major problems yet. No repairs needed. No warrenty claims. I've had the services done at the dealership about every 3000 miles. Being 6'4" it's a little tight for me on the leg room, but really not too bad considering. The only real aggravation I've had with it has to do with a design flaw and my having size 12 shoes. There is an armature about where the toes of a right size 12 shoe that controls the air-handling system (where the air squirts out from) and about once a month I kick that armature off. It's been pretty easy to put back on though...30 second repair. Hmmm...75 characters remaining...oops, 46 now.

Aching back
By mark chrisopher on 08/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The "adjustable" seats are very uncomfortable. An 'extended drive' (30+min) leave my back aching. The seat belt buckle digs into my thigh. The plastic interior is shoddy. The car never settles into 5th gear but keeps on winding...very irritating.