2002 Kia Spectra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
My 2002 Kia Spectra Reliable
By JED on 04/20/08 14:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have 65,000 miles on it. I only have has minor issues on the car. It's pretty reliable and GREAT on gas. If someone is looking for a car that's economical and can't afford a civic or a corolla this is the car with comparable features as the competitors. I wish Kia and Hyundai would hold their value much better. Overall it's been a great car and Korean have come up in the auto industry.

Reliable but falling apart
By jojoberry on 04/10/08 06:18 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car since 2002, and am the original owner. Mechanically wise, this car has run well- especially for a car with over 130K miles now. Only major mechanical problems would be that the AC compressor has been replaced twice now. The major problems I've had are all small and very annoying things, like the dash warping and the dash vents breaking; the doors will lock and unlock without any prompting; most plastic pieces in the car have broken off (i.e., the mirror covers, the armrest, etc.); the paint faded in under 3 years (BAD fading on the bumpers); the doors won't shut on a cold morning; etc. Overall, the car is a good value for the money, but I don't think I'd own another one.

Can't Be Beat for the Price
By lhartford03 on 04/02/08 12:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have found my Kia to be very reliable. Few mechanical problems (I keep up on maintenance). Good pick up for a 4 cyl - I have 5 speed version. Overall, the car has gone above and beyond what I would have expected for the price.

Love the Car!!
By mazkds on 03/14/08 22:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Spectra brand new with 28 miles on it. We have not had to put hardly any money into it (besides normal maintenance). We have almost 104,000 miles on it and have taken it on a number of long trips over the eastern half of the US. Our only complaint is that the front bumper is completely faded and the dashboard is warping. So I think the quality could have been a little higher. For $11,000 (brand new) I can't really say that I am disappointed. I think we have a great car and look forward to driving it for many more years. GO KIA!!!

Warranty will be used frequently
By Andy on 02/23/07 11:13 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

2002 Kia Spectra LS is basic transport. I bought car brand new and I am original owner. Some of warranty repairs in chronological order: All items listed are true replacements under warranty - exhaust purge cannister, front brakes, front exhaust, heater switch,drivers back board seat,engine gaskets, front struts replaced, rear main seal leaking, sun visor, arm rest. After timing belt replacement the check engine light came on for eight times, the timing belt was changed incorrectly by dealer. Summary : A big headache to own.

eh... it's good for the price
By Jamie on 07/02/06 04:51 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

It gets me where I need to go. No major problems. The only bad part is the standard interior is not fun. No automatic door locks, windows etc. Other than that, it's not too bad for the low price.

Transmissions
By Lori on 05/18/06 14:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

New transmission at 2000 miles - fighting with Kia at 60,000 for 2nd transmission. I like the car fine. It runs well (most of the time), gets ok gas mileage. Only problem I have is at 60,000 miles have to replace timing belt. Warranty does not cover car if this not done at 60,000. Getting ok from KIA for dealer to fix my car is a nightmare.

Great Car
By SAY iT on 07/30/05 23:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

OK, So i bought this car used at about 25k and have had it for 22k. I probably can say that this car is a better performing car than my friend's Civic (in power that is). Great gas mileage, little trouble, except when I had to change my front wheel bearings [covered under warranty even @45K). I am little concerned with the brakes; they tend to be needing readjusting every so often to fix the weak braking power. As second owner I have the 5 year/60k warranty which I have used 3 time's when I locked myself out :-). Mine is a LS 5 speed with everything except the ABS. I LOOOOVE the car. I believe the KIA's need to be taken more seriously.

Review_SS
By S.S on 04/11/05 13:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Thhe performance of this vehicle is quite good. It has good handling and good acceleration. As a result the mileage for city driving is around 19 mpg. However the mileage it gives on the hwy is approximately 30 mpg which I think is not bad. The quality and reliability however is not comparable to a Honda Civic.

Excellent Product
By Andrew on 12/06/04 19:51 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Incredible dealership, great value car. Thank God for Kia's high depreciation rate, bad for them but good for me, I'll drive this one into the ground. Extremely cheap extended warranty added 6 yrs, 80K miles! Paying less 180/mo for 48 mos. Comfortable, although I miss power windows and locks.