2002 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
9 years and still going strong
By nicegirl on 07/24/09 19:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have over 123,000 miles on the car and have had no major repairs, except while under warranty it was discovered that I had a faulty transmission. It was replaced immediately. I agree with an earlier post that repairs, tires, brakes, even windshield wipers are more expensive than they should be. My pain has begun fading as well, but it's been 9 yrs. since I bought it. Very reliable.

She's snarky, but a good friend.
By Aenari on 03/08/09 09:43 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

It was my first car, and I was pleased. It worked, and the warranty is phenomenal. My power window motors were constantly iffy, but that's small potatoes - it drove, and drove consistently. The dash and what have you are fairly boring. The CD player developed an interesting quirk where it sucks the cd back in when you eject it before you can grab it. That was fun. But it was a dang good value with cruise control to boot. Keep up on the maintenance and she'll behave. She is snarky; it never let me get too attached emotionally. But it was there for me.

Don't Do it
By Gen on 01/20/09 12:21 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got a brand new 2002 Kia Spectra. And b/f I was off the lot a headlight was out, it should have been an omen. The windows never worked right, and there was a weird knocking when it rained. And, the alternator was going after only 6 years. Last week, the transmission just went out! We were not going anywhere. $2000.00 worth of repairs on a car with only 136000 miles on it. I have a Subaru Impreza with 196000 miles on it that is 13 years old that is still working great! I only got 400.00 for the car b/c it was just so broken down! My two cents is if you want a car that will give you your moneys worth, buy a Subaru. I had only paid the car off one year b/f it died. Never again!

No way, no how
By jayjay on 07/13/08 23:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Window motor replace, cruise control replace, transmission rebuild by 10,000 miles. Second transmission rebuild (the day after 5 yr warranty was up) gear shaft replaced incorrectly by dealership(and almost killed us) and a new starter by 40,000 miles. KIA would not help us, they were very rude and when our gear shaft fell out, we waited at the side of the road for 5 hrs waiting for them to send a tow. HORRIBLE customer service. And everything is high priced to replace. I'm talking about a bolt costing $270. Before labor. It seemed like a good deal, but we have spent the buying price in repairs. Spend the extra $ for a different car. I have been broke ever since we got it. no way no how.

My 2002 Kia Spectra Reliable
By JED on 04/20/08 14:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have 65,000 miles on it. I only have has minor issues on the car. It's pretty reliable and GREAT on gas. If someone is looking for a car that's economical and can't afford a civic or a corolla this is the car with comparable features as the competitors. I wish Kia and Hyundai would hold their value much better. Overall it's been a great car and Korean have come up in the auto industry.

Reliable but falling apart
By jojoberry on 04/10/08 06:18 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car since 2002, and am the original owner. Mechanically wise, this car has run well- especially for a car with over 130K miles now. Only major mechanical problems would be that the AC compressor has been replaced twice now. The major problems I've had are all small and very annoying things, like the dash warping and the dash vents breaking; the doors will lock and unlock without any prompting; most plastic pieces in the car have broken off (i.e., the mirror covers, the armrest, etc.); the paint faded in under 3 years (BAD fading on the bumpers); the doors won't shut on a cold morning; etc. Overall, the car is a good value for the money, but I don't think I'd own another one.

Can't Be Beat for the Price
By lhartford03 on 04/02/08 12:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have found my Kia to be very reliable. Few mechanical problems (I keep up on maintenance). Good pick up for a 4 cyl - I have 5 speed version. Overall, the car has gone above and beyond what I would have expected for the price.

Love the Car!!
By mazkds on 03/14/08 22:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Spectra brand new with 28 miles on it. We have not had to put hardly any money into it (besides normal maintenance). We have almost 104,000 miles on it and have taken it on a number of long trips over the eastern half of the US. Our only complaint is that the front bumper is completely faded and the dashboard is warping. So I think the quality could have been a little higher. For $11,000 (brand new) I can't really say that I am disappointed. I think we have a great car and look forward to driving it for many more years. GO KIA!!!

Perfect Car
By Nilesh on 08/17/07 10:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I was lucky I bought this car!! I drive like 200 miles a day back and forth to my work, but Kia is one tough car which gives me performance which I need. I love the shape of 2002 hatchback, it is like sports car. I get around 30 miles per gallon for 2002 model, thats extraordinary. I will recommend to buy Kia Spectra, it is a really nice car.

Warranty will be used frequently
By Andy on 02/23/07 11:13 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

2002 Kia Spectra LS is basic transport. I bought car brand new and I am original owner. Some of warranty repairs in chronological order: All items listed are true replacements under warranty - exhaust purge cannister, front brakes, front exhaust, heater switch,drivers back board seat,engine gaskets, front struts replaced, rear main seal leaking, sun visor, arm rest. After timing belt replacement the check engine light came on for eight times, the timing belt was changed incorrectly by dealer. Summary : A big headache to own.