2002 Kia Spectra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
A great car
By drummajorgeek1 on 08/05/10 19:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My Spectra an 02' and has 178,000 miles and I'm shocked to say it is still running great. My dad and i bought this car over two years ago for about 2K as i was finishing high school. Everything in the interior and exterior still functions. I couldn't ask for a quicker and cooler AC, it works very well. The only set back is that mine has no CD player, but the radio and speakers are good and running. My father and I were a bit skeptical prior to purchasing a Kia, let alone a Used uncertified one, but it has definitely given us a lot to think back on. I'm going into my third year of college and doing just well with this auto. It is a very reliable car and hasn't had any mechanical errors.

The Engine Fine, the Rest.....
By Jenn's on 03/01/10 09:49 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This Car Runs great, only downer for my car was all the electric when out on it, and repairing it was not fun. Right now I have no Speedier, the mileage is wrong, and I have no idea how much gas I have. My heater/ac stop working about 2 year ago. It a great starter car, had a good monthly price when I bought it, and keeps it value, but now my entire repair's are worth more than the car. Their now warping on the dash board and the arm rest was just crap, I had it replace once and it fell apart on its own.

Not bad
By Have tons of kias... on 02/06/10 15:21 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car after owning a 1988 Toyota Corrolla Wagon with 205,000 miles on it. This was a huge upgrade. We have 3 other kias, and we like them quite well. So this was a time to see if Kia's little cars were any good? Well, I'm happy! I've only had to get some belts replaced, and get new tires, other than that, its been a very reliable car. The people who owned it before me had to replace the transmission, and that was it. So I'm happy. There are just a couple of rattling noises, but nothing that the radio turned up really loud cant fix. Gas mileage is so so, should be better in my opinion, but it is far from being bad. I plan on getting 200,000 on this. It currently has 156,100 on it.

It's a college student car but not!!!
By Monica on 02/03/10 18:16 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The only great thing about this car is that it only cost $26 to fill her up. My AC stop working at a certain point now my heater stop working and also my trunk is leaking water which is causing my car to smell like mildew and also my dashborad is rising!!!

Mixed Bag
By LJM on 01/22/10 22:27 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been good to me, but it has also caused me a LOT of undue stress and financial burden....I have replaced so many parts-my bumper literally just fell off while driving one day, has never been in a collision (to my knowledge) and it just fell right off...was expensive to replace, and then the driver side came loose 2 weeks later, have had to have the alignment redone far too often as it pulls very hard to the right and the heater breaks regularly. The inside of the car has just fallen apart as well, the bolt holding the seat in place fell out and i had to play over $400 to get it fixed, and then told it was not "the perfect fix, but the best they could do..." don't buy..

Love my Spectra
By kialover15 on 09/17/09 11:14 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I finally purchased my own car, and the Kia Spectra was a great choice. I love this car, it has great A/C, automatic, and I just bought my own stereo for it, and now it is perfect. This car is very comfortable (coming from someone with a bad back) and it also gets great MPG!!! I average close to 30 mpg everytime, and that is 80% city! The lowest that I have ever gotten was 23 mpg, and I'm still happy with that. The trunk is very nice sized, and it has great visibility. Very well designed car!!

9 years and still going strong
By nicegirl on 07/24/09 19:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have over 123,000 miles on the car and have had no major repairs, except while under warranty it was discovered that I had a faulty transmission. It was replaced immediately. I agree with an earlier post that repairs, tires, brakes, even windshield wipers are more expensive than they should be. My pain has begun fading as well, but it's been 9 yrs. since I bought it. Very reliable.

She's snarky, but a good friend.
By Aenari on 03/08/09 09:43 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

It was my first car, and I was pleased. It worked, and the warranty is phenomenal. My power window motors were constantly iffy, but that's small potatoes - it drove, and drove consistently. The dash and what have you are fairly boring. The CD player developed an interesting quirk where it sucks the cd back in when you eject it before you can grab it. That was fun. But it was a dang good value with cruise control to boot. Keep up on the maintenance and she'll behave. She is snarky; it never let me get too attached emotionally. But it was there for me.

Don't Do it
By Gen on 01/20/09 12:21 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got a brand new 2002 Kia Spectra. And b/f I was off the lot a headlight was out, it should have been an omen. The windows never worked right, and there was a weird knocking when it rained. And, the alternator was going after only 6 years. Last week, the transmission just went out! We were not going anywhere. $2000.00 worth of repairs on a car with only 136000 miles on it. I have a Subaru Impreza with 196000 miles on it that is 13 years old that is still working great! I only got 400.00 for the car b/c it was just so broken down! My two cents is if you want a car that will give you your moneys worth, buy a Subaru. I had only paid the car off one year b/f it died. Never again!

No way, no how
By jayjay on 07/13/08 23:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Window motor replace, cruise control replace, transmission rebuild by 10,000 miles. Second transmission rebuild (the day after 5 yr warranty was up) gear shaft replaced incorrectly by dealership(and almost killed us) and a new starter by 40,000 miles. KIA would not help us, they were very rude and when our gear shaft fell out, we waited at the side of the road for 5 hrs waiting for them to send a tow. HORRIBLE customer service. And everything is high priced to replace. I'm talking about a bolt costing $270. Before labor. It seemed like a good deal, but we have spent the buying price in repairs. Spend the extra $ for a different car. I have been broke ever since we got it. no way no how.