2002 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews 2

2002 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
Great Car
By Dorine on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car 4 yrs ago, with 55K miles on it. I drive over 100 miles a day and it has never gotten stuck in snow, it starts every time and only left me stranded once (needed a torque converter). It's a great car, has been hit by deer, broken into, and hit while parked, it's only let me down once. It's time to move on unfortunately as it is needing a lot more attention simply because of the miles I drive, it now has 156,000 miles and keeps on going.

Worst Car Ever
By MS on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been nothing but issues since it was purchased. It had only 60,000 miles on it which is generally ok and since it wasn't a car for commuting, the mileage wasn't a big deal. After replacing the brake lights- needed new wiring harness, the brake system, the passenger side window that decided to not roll up one day. and various "check engine" lights and sensors later, the Kia WAS working. But alas, now the driver side window fell down by itself while parked in my driveway. It's not even worth the money that's already been dumped into it so at this point, I'm hoping the broken window gives someone some incentive to steal it.

Great Small car but can be pricey
By Benjamin on 08/11/10 01:14 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Recently i bought my 2002 Kia Spectra, so far its been a great little car and even with a 153,000 miles on it it still has a lot of its kick still in it, cant burn out but it tries like hell to, but the only things i have had to done lately is servicing when bought the car it had no air filter and the spark plugs were bad so changed all that and it seemed like it had a new life in it, but recently the front right tire seemed like it was going to fall off due to a tire shop so i had to spend 500 dollars to get all that fixed but ever since then best little car i ever owned and gas mileage is great get a 100 miles to a forth of a tank plus it tries to be sporty at times.

A great car
By drummajorgeek1 on 08/05/10 19:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My Spectra an 02' and has 178,000 miles and I'm shocked to say it is still running great. My dad and i bought this car over two years ago for about 2K as i was finishing high school. Everything in the interior and exterior still functions. I couldn't ask for a quicker and cooler AC, it works very well. The only set back is that mine has no CD player, but the radio and speakers are good and running. My father and I were a bit skeptical prior to purchasing a Kia, let alone a Used uncertified one, but it has definitely given us a lot to think back on. I'm going into my third year of college and doing just well with this auto. It is a very reliable car and hasn't had any mechanical errors.

The Engine Fine, the Rest.....
By Jenn's on 03/01/10 09:49 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This Car Runs great, only downer for my car was all the electric when out on it, and repairing it was not fun. Right now I have no Speedier, the mileage is wrong, and I have no idea how much gas I have. My heater/ac stop working about 2 year ago. It a great starter car, had a good monthly price when I bought it, and keeps it value, but now my entire repair's are worth more than the car. Their now warping on the dash board and the arm rest was just crap, I had it replace once and it fell apart on its own.

Not bad
By Have tons of kias... on 02/06/10 15:21 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car after owning a 1988 Toyota Corrolla Wagon with 205,000 miles on it. This was a huge upgrade. We have 3 other kias, and we like them quite well. So this was a time to see if Kia's little cars were any good? Well, I'm happy! I've only had to get some belts replaced, and get new tires, other than that, its been a very reliable car. The people who owned it before me had to replace the transmission, and that was it. So I'm happy. There are just a couple of rattling noises, but nothing that the radio turned up really loud cant fix. Gas mileage is so so, should be better in my opinion, but it is far from being bad. I plan on getting 200,000 on this. It currently has 156,100 on it.

It's a college student car but not!!!
By Monica on 02/03/10 18:16 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The only great thing about this car is that it only cost $26 to fill her up. My AC stop working at a certain point now my heater stop working and also my trunk is leaking water which is causing my car to smell like mildew and also my dashborad is rising!!!

Mixed Bag
By LJM on 01/22/10 22:27 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been good to me, but it has also caused me a LOT of undue stress and financial burden....I have replaced so many parts-my bumper literally just fell off while driving one day, has never been in a collision (to my knowledge) and it just fell right off...was expensive to replace, and then the driver side came loose 2 weeks later, have had to have the alignment redone far too often as it pulls very hard to the right and the heater breaks regularly. The inside of the car has just fallen apart as well, the bolt holding the seat in place fell out and i had to play over $400 to get it fixed, and then told it was not "the perfect fix, but the best they could do..." don't buy..

Not to Shabby
By Chuck on 01/02/10 15:03 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car w/ 49000 and now have 100000. I have had two wrecks with it and it looks terrible from the outside but I dont care since im a poor college kid. I love the fact that it has no auto locks, auto transmission, or power windows bc ALL of those features eventually go out so that was a plus for me. Of course great on gas, little to no maintenance, and great leg room being that I am 6'5". I have slept in it on numerous occasions on vacations with the seats folded down and is doable. At 98,000 my fuel pump went out and it cost me about $100 for me to replace myself. Timing belt lasted until 98,000 until i replaced it myself-$40. Fuel pump got clogged very early-$15

Love my Spectra
By kialover15 on 09/17/09 11:14 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I finally purchased my own car, and the Kia Spectra was a great choice. I love this car, it has great A/C, automatic, and I just bought my own stereo for it, and now it is perfect. This car is very comfortable (coming from someone with a bad back) and it also gets great MPG!!! I average close to 30 mpg everytime, and that is 80% city! The lowest that I have ever gotten was 23 mpg, and I'm still happy with that. The trunk is very nice sized, and it has great visibility. Very well designed car!!