Used 2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

It's a car
By watobot

2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Slow but practical. The automatic transmission is probably one of the worst ones I've ever seen. I've had mine for almost 2 years, and it's never left me stranded, so it's more reliable than you would expect from a Kia. If you put the back seats down, it's surprisingly big inside. Interior isn't worth mentioning.

Hatchback

An automatic gearbox that doesn't feel like a it's made out of Jell-o. Gear changes take forever and makes the car accelerate far slower than it should, given it's okay power:weight

Kia Specrta GSX
By sporty90

2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

All and all this car is great for the money, the performance of this car is amazing in my eyes. Fun to drive, with its rated 125 horsepower, add a little aftermarket adjustments this car could have a great future. never had a problem for the engine. now at 109,000 miles still drives like brand new!!!!

short, yet stiff gearbox. sound system is very suprising, oh and the 6000k H.I.D's that i installed, the projectors headlights that Kia installed. the leather wrapped stearing wheel has great craftsmanship!

I wish they would have made the dash out of much better qualities. and all other interior parts !

Worst Car Ever
By MS

2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been nothing but issues since it was purchased. It had only 60,000 miles on it which is generally ok and since it wasn't a car for commuting, the mileage wasn't a big deal. After replacing the brake lights- needed new wiring harness, the brake system, the passenger side window that decided to not roll up one day. and various "check engine" lights and sensors later, the Kia WAS working. But alas, now the driver side window fell down by itself while parked in my driveway. It's not even worth the money that's already been dumped into it so at this point, I'm hoping the broken window gives someone some incentive to steal it.

Gas Mileage.

A working product would be nice.

Not to Shabby
By Chuck

2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car w/ 49000 and now have 100000. I have had two wrecks with it and it looks terrible from the outside but I dont care since im a poor college kid. I love the fact that it has no auto locks, auto transmission, or power windows bc ALL of those features eventually go out so that was a plus for me. Of course great on gas, little to no maintenance, and great leg room being that I am 6'5". I have slept in it on numerous occasions on vacations with the seats folded down and is doable. At 98,000 my fuel pump went out and it cost me about $100 for me to replace myself. Timing belt lasted until 98,000 until i replaced it myself-$40. Fuel pump got clogged very early-$15

Light weight, easy fixes (if you can fix cars), tight suspension, 5 speed, fold down seats, Hatchback, great interior seats, timing belt and all drivebelts lasted 98,000 in great condition until i replaced them myself. Great for college. Not a luxury car!!

Interior dashboard, interior plastics, ac compressor

Perfect Car
By Nilesh

2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I was lucky I bought this car!! I drive like 200 miles a day back and forth to my work, but Kia is one tough car which gives me performance which I need. I love the shape of 2002 hatchback, it is like sports car. I get around 30 miles per gallon for 2002 model, thats extraordinary. I will recommend to buy Kia Spectra, it is a really nice car.