2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
It's a car
By watobot on 09/21/13 12:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Slow but practical. The automatic transmission is probably one of the worst ones I've ever seen. I've had mine for almost 2 years, and it's never left me stranded, so it's more reliable than you would expect from a Kia. If you put the back seats down, it's surprisingly big inside. Interior isn't worth mentioning.

Kia Specrta GSX
By sporty90 on 04/07/12 14:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

All and all this car is great for the money, the performance of this car is amazing in my eyes. Fun to drive, with its rated 125 horsepower, add a little aftermarket adjustments this car could have a great future. never had a problem for the engine. now at 109,000 miles still drives like brand new!!!!

Worst Car Ever
By MS on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been nothing but issues since it was purchased. It had only 60,000 miles on it which is generally ok and since it wasn't a car for commuting, the mileage wasn't a big deal. After replacing the brake lights- needed new wiring harness, the brake system, the passenger side window that decided to not roll up one day. and various "check engine" lights and sensors later, the Kia WAS working. But alas, now the driver side window fell down by itself while parked in my driveway. It's not even worth the money that's already been dumped into it so at this point, I'm hoping the broken window gives someone some incentive to steal it.

Not to Shabby
By Chuck on 01/02/10 15:03 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car w/ 49000 and now have 100000. I have had two wrecks with it and it looks terrible from the outside but I dont care since im a poor college kid. I love the fact that it has no auto locks, auto transmission, or power windows bc ALL of those features eventually go out so that was a plus for me. Of course great on gas, little to no maintenance, and great leg room being that I am 6'5". I have slept in it on numerous occasions on vacations with the seats folded down and is doable. At 98,000 my fuel pump went out and it cost me about $100 for me to replace myself. Timing belt lasted until 98,000 until i replaced it myself-$40. Fuel pump got clogged very early-$15

Perfect Car
By Nilesh on 08/17/07 10:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I was lucky I bought this car!! I drive like 200 miles a day back and forth to my work, but Kia is one tough car which gives me performance which I need. I love the shape of 2002 hatchback, it is like sports car. I get around 30 miles per gallon for 2002 model, thats extraordinary. I will recommend to buy Kia Spectra, it is a really nice car.

not bad so far
By kidnoel on 05/11/06 12:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car used about 8 months ago. Had about 40K miles on it. Was concerned it would give me problems right away. Has proved reliable so far. I have been on many road trips. Have only needed regular maintenance. Original brakes haven't needed replacing yet. Love that it hardly looks like a hatchback and people can't even tell what it is. GREAT fuel economy: 28-34. Got 400 miles on a tank last week-all highway.

What do you want from a price point car?
By elderchuck on 01/23/06 13:22 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Sometimes problematic on cheap stuff, but overall fun and economical car to drive and own. Hesitation/surges when warmed up, dealer says "normal" but I say "not". Heard there is a fix but have not found it yet. Would keep car for comfort, economy, price.

Never again
By anti-kia on 11/16/04 14:09 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The Kia was the right price at the time for a college student. However, in driving the vehicle it was not worth it. The trade in value was only 3000 after a year and a half of driving. I was upside down by 6000. The interior was cheap and all the buttons were chipping paint. The exterior paint could be scratched with a finger nail and then rust immediately. The drivers seat broke and some metal rod was sticking out into the middle of your back. The check engine light kept coming on and the dealer could not find anything wrong. It turned out to be the exhaust system causing the problem. The cover for the speaker broke, as did the weather stripping across the hachback trunk.

Possible Problems
By Jack's kia on 04/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Problamtaic Car. I have had nothing but problems with this car. Had all 4 door sensors replace, throttle plate replaced, ORGR valve recall, seat belt unlatches, transmission problems they cant seam to fix, rear hatch seal wont stay on, cheap interior materials, already show wear, rear hatch never opens with release. Overall needed a inexpensive reliable car, and although it has never left me stranded, will NEVER buy a kia again, or from the dealership (taylor kia) in toledo.

Spectra -economy and practicality
By spectra owner on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car in late 2001, it is my first new vehicle. At the time I was a single mom carting around two boys and all of their junk as well, the car has been reliable and who would not love the 10 yr. warranty. The only problem I have had lies in the hatch release, it works sometimes other times it jams completely. It has been serviced twice relating to this issue and continues to be a problem. All in all I am very happy with the Spectra, it was in my price range and has served me well.