2002 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
It's a car
By watobot on 09/21/13 12:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Slow but practical. The automatic transmission is probably one of the worst ones I've ever seen. I've had mine for almost 2 years, and it's never left me stranded, so it's more reliable than you would expect from a Kia. If you put the back seats down, it's surprisingly big inside. Interior isn't worth mentioning.

Lots of life left after 100K miles!
By kikithekia on 09/05/13 10:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car (my first ever) with 100,000 miles; have put 4500 on myself. Anything I've had to do mechanically is to be expected with the high mileage and was coming eventually — replace OEM alternator and serpentine belt, plus timing belt as a preventative measure. Mechanic said the rattling I hear in the body of the car can be fixed inexpensively, but is mostly cosmetic and can wait. Very low to ground; be careful over even small speed bumps. Overall I love it, pleasantly surprised! Expected better MPG (22/30+) but fun and easy car to drive. Serves me quite well. It keeps going and I feel like it has lots of life left even after so many miles. I'd consider a Kia in the future!

nice little car
By dwaters1 on 12/17/12 07:36 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this 2002 spectra for several years and it has performed well with very few issues. There are some basic issues that I have not fixed but do not cause a problem, such as a shock housing that allows the shock to rattle a bit. It not very powerful but for small city driving its fine and a bit fun. Not the most comfortable, it is a cheep car. Turning on the air conditioner will result is a noticeable pull on the engine. The interior is ok to look at but is mostly hard plastic. Starting in 2011 the summer heat from in the south has cause the plastic parts inside to start failing, things just randomly break or fall off or appear to disintegrate. Just replace belt for $600.

Electrical problems of the 2002 Kia Spectra
By charlesg56 on 10/08/12 13:04 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

It has low beam head lights that do not work often. Power windows that blow fuses or fail for some other reason and a check engine light that never goes out.

Kia Specrta GSX
By sporty90 on 04/07/12 14:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

All and all this car is great for the money, the performance of this car is amazing in my eyes. Fun to drive, with its rated 125 horsepower, add a little aftermarket adjustments this car could have a great future. never had a problem for the engine. now at 109,000 miles still drives like brand new!!!!

Been a great little car
By libertyswanson on 03/23/12 13:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 Kia Spectra in 2006 with 60k miles on it. It now has over 220k. Most of the work as been regular maintenance. I just put in a new head gasket and my clutch is starting to pop. It has been great in the snow (I drive a 100 miles a day in Colorado). And has always started. I've replaced the alternator (no big deal), scheduled timing belts, and front wheel bearings. The back struts are gone and there are a lot of rattles developing. The arm rest is very uncomfortable and my wife hates the seats. But it has been very very dependable. Gas mileage right now is about 35 to 38 mpg. I'm moving up in car class, but have daughter turning 16 and it will be a good first car for her.

Got 166,000 miles but with problems
By julia17 on 02/06/12 12:27 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My 2002 Kia Spectra just threw a head gasket at 166,000 miles. Previous problems: the a/c went out in 2007 and was repaired for $1400. It went out again about 9 months later and the mechanic wanted another $750. Shortly afterwards, the heat went out. I replaced the clutch 3 times. Also replaced a valve in the braking system for $250. Lots of the cheap plastic interior broke and/or fell off including the driver's side sun visor. The driver'side seatbelt also broke and had to be replaced. I did a lot of driving for work and both knees and hips were hurting me due to driving this car. If you're only going to put maybe 10-12,000 miles/year on a 2002 Spectra, it may be worthwhile.

Son's second car
By alshoe on 12/12/11 10:01 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased our 2002 Spectra 11/23/2011 for our son. Our son had a 2002 Saturn SL that was totaled in a accident. This Kia is very much like his Saturn, a basic car, no power windows, door locks or cruise control. Body has some dings and scratches but overall paint, body and interior in very good condition. Never owned a Kia, but good experience at Kia dealership. Clock was not working so they will replace it at no additional cost to me. I also purchased a two year warranty to cover all major components.

Pros and Cons
By brookeb on 11/20/11 00:02 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My Kia Spectra gets 35 miles to the gallon average. Since my purchase in June 2011, I have put 11,000 miles on my car, raising its total to 141,000. I have already replaced one tire, the engine damper, a shift cellanoid, two taillights and a headlight, and am currently in the process of replacing the trans relay switch. My transmission occasionally slips, and it doesn't have a "floaty" ride like some sites claim because the shocks quickly disintegrate. Overall, I do love my Kia despite severe hail damage and some minor issues. The cost of repairs thus far has cost me around 750$, less than half of what I paid for it. However, I likely wouldn't buy a newer model Kia because of poor reviews.

Surprised Me!!!
By baby_c_1989 on 07/13/11 11:30 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Kia with 80k (or something like that) a year ago it now has 108k miles on it and is still going strong. I was really worried about buying a kia but I needed a cheap car right away! I was surprised when I bought it, she told me it was still under warranty until 100k (WOW!) She had all her maintenance records and it seemed she had some issues with the car the first year or two she bought it. Since Ive had it the only out of pocket expenses have been oil changes and tires. I have had NO mechanical difficulty with this car it has been extremely reliable as our only means of transportation. I am no considering buying a new kia when its time to buy a NEW car.