2001 Kia Spectra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
Best car I've ever owned
By stevecobb12550 on 06/05/11 18:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Spectra Hatchback GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Kia used at 18,000 miles, and then drove it for almost 150,000 without a problem. Gas mileage was about 33 mpg highway, and it was rock solid. Sure, the sheet metal is so thin that you could dent the car just by breathing on it, and the rear defroster was useless, but the car was a real trooper. Hatchback was very useful, too, I could load all kinds of things in there. The only mistake I made was not changing the timing belt, and it broke at 145k miles, ruining the engine. At 145k miles, the CV joints needed replacing, and so did the struts, but it was a great car.

242,500 Still going strong!!!!!
By Terry on 10/13/09 20:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Spectra Hatchback GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I guess This says it all.

Kia, Kia, Kia
By Amberismyenergy on 08/14/08 11:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Spectra Hatchback GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had it time in and time out with this car. I have had to replace the complete make up of the rear brakes, the battery, the rear break lights several times (not because i leave lights on) compressor, starter, plugs, the right axle. Yes when i go up a hill i have to turn air conditioner off. haha Very loud when I'm trying to go fast, people think I'm angry, when I'm in a hurry. The dash board has completed folded because of the sun! WONDERFUL!!

Worth every penny
By ayoder on 04/30/08 18:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine new in 2001 and I've put a little over 70,000 miles on it. It's paid off and now I'm really getting my money out of it. It's still running great and drives as good as 2 other new cars I've recently test driven. I have done all the recommended maintenance and it's still running like a top. I had only minor warranty repairs done and have no complaints. I've been looking for a used higher end KIA like the optima to purchase but I think everyone knows how great these cars are they aren't trading them in so there are none available in my area. Can you say watch out Honda someones coming up quickly behind you and their price is better?

2001 Spectra GS
By Ricky on 02/27/08 17:29 PM (PST)

2001 Kia Spectra Hatchback GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Other than normal wear parts like brake pads, I've had problems with the motor mounts (4 of them) and the upper power steering hose. It has good fuel economy, about 22 mpg city and very good handling, especially when you upgrade the wheels to 15" and sport tires.

I hate my Kia
By ojena on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Spectra Hatchback GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had many problems with the engine begining with the loud noises it makes & a/c and radio malfunctions. The plastic pieces of the vehicle are always breaking off such as those that recline the seat,open the trunk and gas,and a/c vents.Ancira, the dealership where I purchased my Kia, is not very efficient when it comes to fixing it. So the warranty Kia always raves about really means nothing to me.Within the first year of owning my new Kia Spectra, the tires and brakes had to be replaced, and since they are considered maintanence parts, they were not covered by the warranty. This car has been a headache from day one.

46000 and going strong
By Bob Bell on 05/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for over three years. The more I drive it the better it gets. It is the best highway car I have ever had and with Dunlop SA-2 tires it handles like a sports car. It can cruize on the interstate with the best of them and still get great gass mileage.

Point A to Point B
By Scott9674 on 02/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

From the outside you think wow, what a sporty ride? NOT The 125hp 5speed manual is very disappointing. I have drove automatics with smaller engines that are peppier. Going up a hill with the A/C on..forget about it. I realized I wasn't getting a "sports" car but come on Kia the gas mileage isn't terrific and the car weighs a little more than a cow here in IA and this is the best you can do? The interior is decent and clean. If you are over 6 ft be warned. After 40k miles no major happenings.Great car for a college student who just needs A to B trans. That is about all you should expect because that is all you'll get.

Would buy again
By jillswill on 12/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Kia Spectra Hatchback GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Its not a quite ride. Drags up hills, helps to shut off the air condition system. We bought it for the hatch-back and would to run to college. I would buy another one. Its a great buy for the price.

Hercules Unchained
By Mr. GSX on 04/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Spectra Hatchback GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Spectra GSX in August of 2001, I received a strong rebate of $1500.00 cash back, along with a strong warranty, i.e., 100K or (10)yrs., this really eased my apprehension of purchasing a Korea Made Car. Now! The performance suits my liking, 125HP is sufficient for freeway driving. The 5sp manual works well for controlling the vehicle. The GSX Trim level gives an abundance of goodies to enjoy while you drive. Overall I have had very few problems, some shifter Buzz while in third gear, this was corrected with new parts after two visits to the Kia Dealer. After I drive another 50k in this car I will know if I have received my monies worth. I do enjoy this car.