Used 2013 Kia Soul Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Kia Soul - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Soul model:

Most Helpful|
Good buy
By dviljoen

2013 Kia Soul Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

We had an 01 Maxima that needed too many repairs. I didn't want a payment, but the wife wanted something new. I essentially went into the dealer and said "I want a Soul, manual transmission, white, and no options." The "no options" thing is just to give you maximum leverage, because nobody makes a vehicle with "no" options. I was almost wrong. Kia had a white Soul, manual trans, and floor mats (option). All said, it has been awesome. Only $245/mo payment, 37mpg, and plenty of room.

Favorite Features

Since I wanted no options I was really surprised at what it includes as standard: bluetooth and satellite radio (requires subscription, but free for first 90 days). The interior is deceptively large, especially behind the rear seats. My wife didn't even want to consider it from seeing them on the road. She said "No way there's enough room back there for shopping, or kids football pads." There's more than enough.

Suggested Improvements

Two options I wish I actually had gotten: cruise control and arm rests. But, oh well. I can live with it.

Regarding the below review regarding poor mileage...
By mazda5forme

2013 Kia Soul Wagon ! 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Aparently the reviewer below mine hasn't heard about the problems the EPA found with the sticker listed on the KIA car models with wrong fuel mileage...caused by an error in the testing done by KIA in Korea on the KIA Soul and a few other KIA models. To make a long story short...the base Soul actual fuel mileage for example was LISTED on the window sticker as 27/35 mpg but new figures are 25/30 for the smaller 1.6 base engine...and for the bigger 2.0 engine it WAS 26/29 mpg listed and actual new figures are less mpg to. I signed up with KIA and now get a KIA debit card to use for gasoline based on how far I drive and they add 15% more for your trouble. Simply register with KIA.

Favorite Features

All the standard equipment, and all the extra's not often found on other cars at this price. Crazy good value for a terrific price, good looking, lots of room, good mileage and the icing on the cake is the 100,000 mile warranty! I like the Infinity 300 watt stereo and hands free/voice activated system...roomy back seat, cargo space and good looks...even the powered sun roof was standard.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger fuel tnk for long trips would be nice..it's 12.5 gallons and 15 or more would be nice.

Very pleased with this car!
By ghostboo

2013 Kia Soul Wagon ! 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have always owned large 4X4 quad-cab trucks but got sick of dumping money in gas. I wanted a vehicle that was easy on gas, fun to drive, fit in my garage, and loaded with options. I researched for a few months and narrowed it down to about six finalists. I test drove them and narrowed it to two, the Hyundai Elantra and the Soul Exclaim. I love both vehicles but the Soul won me over because of the cargo capacity and ease of access. The Soul is fun to drive and I like the high seating position. It doesn't feel like I'm down in a go cart. Visibility is outstanding and the interior is perfect. My gas mileage is very good. I average 24 city, 31 highway and 35 on long country drives.

Favorite Features

My favorite features in order of preference are the backup camera, navigation syst, automatic lights, auto climate control, tilt/telescoping wheel, fuel mileage computer, Infinity HD radio (I even kinda like the lighted speaker light show but could live without). I like the folding mirrors and the sunroof a lot too.

Suggested Improvements

Auto up on the driver's window. Update the website feature for navigation map updates more often. GPS maps are seriously out of date. Horn needs to be louder. Need instant fuel mileage in addition to average fuel economy and a better graphic for fuel mileage instead of tiny red numbers. Passenger headrest giggles on uneven surfaces creating annoying noise. Make doors open wider for easier access of disabled or elderly. Install an Ipod holder/dock front and charger plug for rear passengers. Install additional 12 volt plugs in center console and rear cargo area.

It's wonderful
By kellymo719

2013 Kia Soul Wagon + 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I traded in a 2005 Honda Civic for the 2013 Kia Plus, and I am in love! It is exactly what I was looking for in a car - it's small, but spacious; the back seats fold down and offer a ton of room in the back. I am able to take my bike or my two yellow labs in the car with me no problem! It's got great response when I step on the gas, excellent brakes (and I love the brake assist). Also, mine came with an extra feature to turn on the car from outside, so I can warm it up in the mornings or start the AC, and it stays locked and running, and if someone tries to take it, it will automatically shut off without the keys. It's seriously WONDERFUL!

Ive had 9 brand new cars in my life...my Soul beats them all! Hands down!
By mazda5forme

2013 Kia Soul Wagon ! 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Reliability would be a 6 or higher if the Edmunds ratings went that high! Build quality also. I've owned brand new Hondas, Toyotas, Fords, a FIAT, Prius, Chevrolets, a 308 GTS Frerrari, a Mercedes....etc. All my family started trading in their cars for brand new KIA's in 2011. Including mine (2013 Soul), my wifes (2013 Sorento), my Daughters 2013 Sportage, my son and daughter-in-laws 2 Fortes, and the list goes on. No lemons, no issues, perfect build quality, great mileage, awsum paint jobs, a crazy amount of standard equipment that is unexpected in cars at this price...and a 100,000 mile drive train warranty is icing on the KIA cake!

Favorite Features

Infinity 8 speaker sound system with seperate powered sub woofer. Standard glass powered sunroof, dark tinted windows, really nice 18" alloy wheels, 4 wheel disks, good mileage, great looking car, black cloth interior with HOUNDSTOOTH cloth accents (last time I saw that in a car it was a British classic car!) Tall roof makes for a non-clostrophobic interior, good sized cargo space in rear hatch, fit and finish is damn near perfect..and I'm picky! And I do my own oil changes, and these KIA's are among the easiest to drain the oil, replace the filter and refill of anything I've ever owned!

Suggested Improvements

Any thing I noted that needs improvement on my 2013...was already done on the 2014...which was gone over by KIA and massaged and tweaked a bit.