Used 2012 Kia Soul Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Soul - Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Soul

View reviews for a specific Soul model:

Fun Little Car!!
By tayalynn77

2012 Kia Soul 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have almost 9,000 miles on my Kia Soul. So far itís doing great. I am averaging about 32 mpg in the city. Only one kid left at home now so I am down-sizing my life so I got rid of my luxury mini-van and went with the simplest and cheapest new car I could find. I went with the 6 speed. I bought the car with my business in mind so I have graphics and tinted windows installed. I also purchased a center console/arm rest which I love. The car is not the best for long trips. I took it to Florida (about a 16 hour drive) and we nearly were blown off the highway a few times. It handled fabulously other than that. We even had an 18 wheeler tire explode just as we were passing the truck and my husband managed to drive and shuttle around the pieces of tire with no damage or incident. Eventually this will become my husbandís every day car and I will get something better for traveling. All in all, a great little car to scoot around town in! Yesterday I got a letter from my dealer stating that they needed some 2012 Souls and wanted to try and put me in something else if I wanted to trade it in. Iíll pass!

Favorite Features

Love the 6 Speed Transmission and the Satellite Radio! Quite zippy!

Suggested Improvements

Needs an armrest on ALL models for the driver. I found an aftermarket so it's not an issue now.

16,000 miles and no problems
By hamsterman1

2012 Kia Soul 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

This car is awesom. I have owned two Scion XB's. One was a 2005 and the other a 2006. Don't get me wrong it is a good car, but the Kia Soul beats the xb in every way. six speed is fun. features are awesome. I don't need all of the extra junk on the higher priced models. I average 36 miles to a gallon going 75mph 130 miles a day. I have put over 16,000 on this car with no problems. All I do is change the oil. I'm six foot and my son is 6 foot. even with the car loaded down (more cago than the xb) I still have plenty of power and tons of room. I bought this car because of price and the warranty can't be beat. If you want a good car at a great price. Then this is the car for you. Love u Kia!

Favorite Features

The six speed makes driving this car way fun. stereo is awesom. seats are way more comfortable than my xb. lots more room in the trunk. I get compliments every place I go. all the gauges and features are at your fingertips. Car sits up higher than my xb did. Love all the air bags. My xb only had driver and passenger. I feel better knowing my kids are more protected in case of a crash. The warranty can't be beat. Only had a problem with the stereo antenna not connected. Kia fixed it in a day and gave me a free rental car. Kia's slogan should be who could ask for anything more, not a kia owner. Kia already gives you everything for less money.

Suggested Improvements

These are not improvements, but it would be nice on a base model to have standard vanity mirrors. That is my wife's complaint. Not mine. I could care less. Don't need them. Other than that. Kia has done a great job on this car. I'm telling you. before you buy something else you need to check out the soul. Awesome!

Great Fuel Economy, and Fun!
By kamiller1991

2012 Kia Soul 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I fell in love with this car when I saw it on the commercials, and to actual find out that it's fun to drive and gets great gas mileage when I actual went to look at it was AWESOME! It has plenty of room in the trunk for my two dogs (Labrador and a Pug) so I don't have to worry about fur on the seats. It also has plenty of room to load of the baby and the husband! I have been able to get up to 41mpg on the highway (going 55mph, not really highway, high speed back roads) and anywhere from 32mpg-35mpg city. The only thing I do not like about the car is the clutch stick when you're on a hill, I tend to gun it because I forget it kicks in. Other than that, GREAT car!

Favorite Features

Auxiliary port/sound system, great turning radius, enough pep for the highway, good visibility, all around a great car. Also an awesome warranty.

Suggested Improvements

In the manual transmission, get rid of the clutch sticking or make it an option to turn it off. It may be good for those learning to drive a stick, but it's horrible for those who are used to rolling when on a hill and let out the clutch/give gas fast. I have peeled out on accident numerous times because I forget about it.

Pretty good for a first new car!
By letzgostate

2012 Kia Soul 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Got my 2012 base manual soul the first day they had them on the lot. I chose the manual base and love the 6-speed. The car is amazingly peppy. Since getting mine I have had to have a new rear axle put on the car (I had the swaying road problem too), a new gauge cluster installed, I have had a flat that was not fixable with the fix-a-flat system in the car, and I had a pebble nick the windshield, create a small pit, and quickly had a crack over a foot spread across the windshield, and I have had the battery die for no apparent reason. Aside from those problems, the car has been awesome! Take advantage of roadside assistance, I have 3x already and always quick and free! Oh, and 38 mpg mixed!

Favorite Features

Manual trans, gauge cluster, mileage, fun

Suggested Improvements

Better windshield, put in a real spare, check the alignment before selling the cars! Already seems to be a problem.