Used 2012 Kia Soul Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Soul - Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Soul

View reviews for a specific Soul model:

Continual Electronic Failures
By ohmysoul

2012 Kia Soul + 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2012 Kia Soul with all the extras, my first brand new car in 25 years. The added features only work part of the time which is majorly disappointing. I have complained several times and the dealer admitted there were problems and replaced the system, TWICE! All my music was wiped out. I've had the music go haywire while driving going between one song and another almost causing a wreck. The sun roof sometimes won't open and the backup camera sometimes won't come on. I was in a car accident that wasn't my fault and my blue tooth would NOT call 911! After all repairs the system completely locked up and I could not make or receive calls.

Favorite Features

All my favorite features are the ones that don't work!

Suggested Improvements

Test your systems before you sell them to customers.

Love the Soul!
By cheat

2012 Kia Soul 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2012 Kia Soul Base new in July 2012. I tried out Audis, VWs, Volvos, Chevrolets, and the Soul hands-down won me over. I LOVE the high stance (just wish they had an AWD option), quirky exterior, and modern interior. Even with the base model (auto, btw) it's loaded with features - Bluetooth (which is awesome!), power everything except mirrors, cruise control, USB and AUX ports, you get the point. I have had no issues with my Soul, and have since put about 20,000 on it in less than a year, and love every mile I've driven it. It really has some get-up-and-go for a 1.8 L 4 cyl. I've added my own 'unique' features to the car, such as a red carbon fiber interior/exterior kit.

Favorite Features

Everything except the lack of a spare tire.

Suggested Improvements

Wish they had an AWD option and a spare tire with every car (NOT the fix a flat kit).

OUTSTANDING car!!!!
By soulgal12

2012 Kia Soul + 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned a lot of different vehicles in my lifetime -- from sport cars to Full-size 4x4 trucks to economy-minded transportation. I can honestly say that by far this little 2012 Kia Soul + is my FAVORITE vehicle I have owned!! I purchased my Soul + new in October, 2012 and have put over 20,000 miles on it. I can not say there is one thing that I do NOT love about this car! The handling is outstanding for how high the profile of the vehicle is. The wide stance of the car allows it to handle amazing! The storage capabilities are outstanding as well! With the rear seats folded down you can haul an amazing amount of stuff!! Plus it's roomy enough that you can fit 5 adults in it!

Favorite Features

Handling, Storage, Ride, Sound System, Fuel Economy (ok, so there was a discrepancy from the window sticker to the actual -- that's OK! KIA unlike other auto manufacturers owned up to it and is giving affected owners cash back!) is VERY GOOD, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the ability to drive it as a manual or an automatic!!!!! I've grown up under the hood of a car -- I am a total gear head and can honestly say that I can't find anything NOT to love about this car!

Suggested Improvements

DON'T CHANGE! This car is outstanding! Only thing I can suggest is that they put something in place to prevent the glove box light from coming on while the glove box is closed. I put some felt "feet" that go on the bottom of coasters and that seems to have done the trick.

2 months and already MAJOR issues??
By rs33983

2012 Kia Soul + 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The headrest are EXTREMELY uncomfortable for a 6'0" person. Less than 2 moths old and in service for 3 different items. A bad vibration on interstate. The power door locks malfunctioning. A rattling noise at warm start up in the engine. Very disappointed.

Favorite Features

Cute car, sporty, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Better headrest Better build quality

Beware of dealer
By thuds

2012 Kia Soul ! 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Quite a few dealers sell KIAs as a secondary model-more of a "cost leader". Some really don't care whether the customer is happy with poor service because it's not their "main" brand. If factory mats fail at 7000 miles that's standard due to "cheap" materials. I was disappointed with dealer treatment and with their service department, plus poor followup from their sales department. Had Scions, Mini Coopers, Jetta TDIs and got outstanding service. Not in KIA's case. Mileage not as advertised, but did not expect it to be. All round, I feel the car can be great, just don't expect decent service or followup after the sale.

Favorite Features

Very nice looking vehicle. Stereo works well once you figure it out. Ergonomics seem right for a car this size. Very quiet for the type of car it is (enthusiast). KIA manufactures a good value for the money with some individualism included.

Suggested Improvements

Train sales force and service department to appreciate the customer. Sales did not know you could order car with a "real" spare if requested, plus other option availability. Warranties are a mystery to them. Better materials in potential wear items, especially interior. Better vinyl on rest areas such as armrest and door sills. Functional cup holders-second center one is a "joke" & angled door ones are non functional. Sunroof privacy door could use a latch to stay open or closed. UVO system is NOT understood by either department, nor is Bluetooth system. Have mixed dealerships treat KIA customers as "valued" customers.