2012 Kia Soul - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Soul model:
Continual Electronic Failures
By ohmysoul on 07/16/13 20:03 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Soul + 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2012 Kia Soul with all the extras, my first brand new car in 25 years. The added features only work part of the time which is majorly disappointing. I have complained several times and the dealer admitted there were problems and replaced the system, TWICE! All my music was wiped out. I've had the music go haywire while driving going between one song and another almost causing a wreck. The sun roof sometimes won't open and the backup camera sometimes won't come on. I was in a car accident that wasn't my fault and my blue tooth would NOT call 911! After all repairs the system completely locked up and I could not make or receive calls.

Love the Soul!
By cheat on 05/18/13 18:15 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Soul 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2012 Kia Soul Base new in July 2012. I tried out Audis, VWs, Volvos, Chevrolets, and the Soul hands-down won me over. I LOVE the high stance (just wish they had an AWD option), quirky exterior, and modern interior. Even with the base model (auto, btw) it's loaded with features - Bluetooth (which is awesome!), power everything except mirrors, cruise control, USB and AUX ports, you get the point. I have had no issues with my Soul, and have since put about 20,000 on it in less than a year, and love every mile I've driven it. It really has some get-up-and-go for a 1.8 L 4 cyl. I've added my own 'unique' features to the car, such as a red carbon fiber interior/exterior kit.

OUTSTANDING car!!!!
By soulgal12 on 01/16/13 13:41 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Soul + 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned a lot of different vehicles in my lifetime -- from sport cars to Full-size 4x4 trucks to economy-minded transportation. I can honestly say that by far this little 2012 Kia Soul + is my FAVORITE vehicle I have owned!! I purchased my Soul + new in October, 2012 and have put over 20,000 miles on it. I can not say there is one thing that I do NOT love about this car! The handling is outstanding for how high the profile of the vehicle is. The wide stance of the car allows it to handle amazing! The storage capabilities are outstanding as well! With the rear seats folded down you can haul an amazing amount of stuff!! Plus it's roomy enough that you can fit 5 adults in it!

2 months and already MAJOR issues??
By rs33983 on 12/14/12 20:23 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Soul + 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The headrest are EXTREMELY uncomfortable for a 6'0" person. Less than 2 moths old and in service for 3 different items. A bad vibration on interstate. The power door locks malfunctioning. A rattling noise at warm start up in the engine. Very disappointed.

Beware of dealer
By thuds on 12/03/12 14:25 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Soul ! 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Quite a few dealers sell KIAs as a secondary model-more of a "cost leader". Some really don't care whether the customer is happy with poor service because it's not their "main" brand. If factory mats fail at 7000 miles that's standard due to "cheap" materials. I was disappointed with dealer treatment and with their service department, plus poor followup from their sales department. Had Scions, Mini Coopers, Jetta TDIs and got outstanding service. Not in KIA's case. Mileage not as advertised, but did not expect it to be. All round, I feel the car can be great, just don't expect decent service or followup after the sale.

Fun dependable vehicle
By lovestalaugh on 11/04/12 13:55 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Soul ! 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Kia Soul a year ago. I love driving it and find it good on gas. The inside is much larger than it looks. You can really fit alot in there. I have had no problems at all except for a blown fuse which the dealership took care of no problem. It is a great car for the price . I bought mine at Commonwealth Motors in Lawrence Mass and def recommend them, they are easy to deal with, have good prices and are not pushy. I go there for all my maintenance needs.

Fun Little Car!!
By tayalynn77 on 10/02/12 03:28 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Soul 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have almost 9,000 miles on my Kia Soul. So far itís doing great. I am averaging about 32 mpg in the city. Only one kid left at home now so I am down-sizing my life so I got rid of my luxury mini-van and went with the simplest and cheapest new car I could find. I went with the 6 speed. I bought the car with my business in mind so I have graphics and tinted windows installed. I also purchased a center console/arm rest which I love. The car is not the best for long trips. I took it to Florida (about a 16 hour drive) and we nearly were blown off the highway a few times. It handled fabulously other than that. We even had an 18 wheeler tire explode just as we were passing the truck and my husband managed to drive and shuttle around the pieces of tire with no damage or incident. Eventually this will become my husbandís every day car and I will get something better for traveling. All in all, a great little car to scoot around town in! Yesterday I got a letter from my dealer stating that they needed some 2012 Souls and wanted to try and put me in something else if I wanted to trade it in. Iíll pass!

16,000 miles and no problems
By hamsterman1 on 08/27/12 09:28 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Soul 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

This car is awesom. I have owned two Scion XB's. One was a 2005 and the other a 2006. Don't get me wrong it is a good car, but the Kia Soul beats the xb in every way. six speed is fun. features are awesome. I don't need all of the extra junk on the higher priced models. I average 36 miles to a gallon going 75mph 130 miles a day. I have put over 16,000 on this car with no problems. All I do is change the oil. I'm six foot and my son is 6 foot. even with the car loaded down (more cago than the xb) I still have plenty of power and tons of room. I bought this car because of price and the warranty can't be beat. If you want a good car at a great price. Then this is the car for you. Love u Kia!

My All Time Favorite!
By skrubs on 08/27/12 08:16 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Soul + 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I love my Kia Soul! I have owned 4 new cars in my lifetime and this one is my all time favorite. It is fun to drive. It handles great on winding roads. It is a very cool looking car. My iPhone connects to it via Bluetooth so I can answer my phone by pushing a button on the steering wheel and listen through my speakers. I can play my iTunes playlist using the same technology. Today I thought I would check to see if there were any recalls on my car, and the Kia isn't even listed in the NTSA site. That means no recalls for the entire line of Kia's. Plus you can't beat the warranty. Awesome car!

Love it so far
By rltech07 on 08/07/12 10:56 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Soul + 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I've had my Soul+ for exactly 3 days, and I'm officially in love. This little car is comfortable, surprisingly spritely to drive, and very economical. We traded a 2002 Jeep Liberty, which is probably the polar opposite of a Kia. We gave up a tiny bit of cargo room and some horsepower. We gained state-of-the-art safety and a vehicle that is a joy to drive - so far. I realize it's early days. Something may go wrong, but right now I feel like this is not just a car, it's a large, gas sipping pet.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Kia Soul in VA is:

$145 per month*