Good For Many.Not So Good For Fat Ole Me
By ohahachris on
2011 Kia Soul + 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)
I am a big guy who wears 42-waist pants. The driver's seat is about 2" too narrow for all-day comfort. My wife and I have a part-time gig delivering "free pubs" to stores and have lived with this car as a rental replacement for our usual delivery vehicle for a week. Great grocery-getter. Ride, handling, power--all very good at a light load. This would be my short list if I weren't fat,and did not use for deliveries. Under load of 115, 25count, bundles of 90-page magazines, the suspension bottoms and the engine sounds pained. We're glad we didn't need the added load of AC. My performance and fun-to-drive ratings should be 3.5. 5 for unloaded 2 for loaded.
Favorite Features
Lightly loaded, this thing is fun. Short turning radius, great throttle response,handles very well at speeds up to 80 ,stable in the crosswinds. Great sound system. I like the ipod connectivity. Haven't tried the bluetooth phone option yet. Exterior styling. The vehicle getting its hail damage repaired is an Aztek. We love quirky. There are much worse choices for narrow-reared young couples and empty-nesters.The tall back seat area makes wrangling a kid's/grandkid's car seat a snap.
Suggested Improvements
Automatic Headlamps. We took delivery in midst of a sleet storm. Because the dashlights fired up on startup, we thought our exterior lights were on, but they weren't. Headlamp Switch where both our domestic vehicles have the wipers. Dangerous when you think you're turning off wipers and get lights instead. Put the light switch on the dash. If Kia ever wants to do a commercial version they should narrow the center stack, broaden the driver's seat, beef up suspension, put in a torquier engine/a lower low gear.