Used 2011 Kia Soul Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Kia Soul - Consumer Reviews

2011 Kia Soul Wagon

View reviews for a specific Soul model:

Good For Many.Not So Good For Fat Ole Me
By ohahachris

2011 Kia Soul Wagon + 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I am a big guy who wears 42-waist pants. The driver's seat is about 2" too narrow for all-day comfort. My wife and I have a part-time gig delivering "free pubs" to stores and have lived with this car as a rental replacement for our usual delivery vehicle for a week. Great grocery-getter. Ride, handling, power--all very good at a light load. This would be my short list if I weren't fat,and did not use for deliveries. Under load of 115, 25count, bundles of 90-page magazines, the suspension bottoms and the engine sounds pained. We're glad we didn't need the added load of AC. My performance and fun-to-drive ratings should be 3.5. 5 for unloaded 2 for loaded.

Favorite Features

Lightly loaded, this thing is fun. Short turning radius, great throttle response,handles very well at speeds up to 80 ,stable in the crosswinds. Great sound system. I like the ipod connectivity. Haven't tried the bluetooth phone option yet. Exterior styling. The vehicle getting its hail damage repaired is an Aztek. We love quirky. There are much worse choices for narrow-reared young couples and empty-nesters.The tall back seat area makes wrangling a kid's/grandkid's car seat a snap.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic Headlamps. We took delivery in midst of a sleet storm. Because the dashlights fired up on startup, we thought our exterior lights were on, but they weren't. Headlamp Switch where both our domestic vehicles have the wipers. Dangerous when you think you're turning off wipers and get lights instead. Put the light switch on the dash. If Kia ever wants to do a commercial version they should narrow the center stack, broaden the driver's seat, beef up suspension, put in a torquier engine/a lower low gear.

Quite Pleased With my Soul Sport
By fudogdad

2011 Kia Soul Wagon Sport 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2011 Soul Sport. With all the options but remote start. The car drives and handles great. I drive about an hour to and from work each day. The car has decent pick up so I'm not a nervous Nelly when attempting to pass some traffic. I wish the seat had a bit more functionality. It's taken me a bit more time then typical to find my sweet spot. The seat doesn't go back far enough so, anyone taller than around 5' 11" may have an issue with space. I'm 5' 11" and the seat is all the way back. The Tilt wheel is nice but Telescopic would be best. I love all the features of the car. Over all, I love the car. I traded in my Dodge Magnum R/T. It was a serious change by no regrets. Saves on Gas!

Favorite Features

Blue Tooth is a major plus. MP3 player enabled me to have far fewer discs but no less music. The IP connection is fantastic, but I don't need it since I converted my tunes to MP3...it's simpler. Love the fog lights and the moon roof. The Smart Key is a God Send. There is nothing like not having to take the keys out of my pocket in the morning when I have my hands full with Coffee and my laptop. Very nice feature.

Suggested Improvements

The Driver seat doesn't go back far enough. If I were an inch taller, I would have had to pass on this car which would have been a shame since I love the car.

You don't drive the Soul; You WEAR it
By bill6505

2011 Kia Soul Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my base model Kia Soul in late May, 2011 and have put 8,800 miles on to date. Good value and fun to drive. Lots of room inside. The car is nimble and the brakes excellent. Biggest problem is driving it like a sports car, and forgetting that the vehicles around me can't stop as quickly under yellow lights.Gas mileage averaging 27.5 local, and 29.5 on trips Shape is unusual and draws comments and curiosity. Like the fact I can find it in a parking lot, because it doesn't look like a lot of other cars. ( I am a 68 year old male). This is my third Kia, if I count the 1992 Ford Festiva, which was made by Kia. Can't beat the value for the money. Quality and dependability good.

Favorite Features

Interior is spacious and offers good headroom for tall people. Great distance in back seat. Good handling and awesome brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Don't like the noise. Fuel pump is noisy, whine in the engine around 70 MPH. Dealer can't find. Nexen tires are poorly made and USA agents will not stand behind. Have replaced three of the four for crooked and noisy treads. Next time I will buy without tires, and have Michelins put on from the start. Rear pillars create blind spot. Wish it was another foot longer in back. No cruise control is a problem. Plastic trim inside scratches is you just look at it wrong.

Automatic door locks
By tinakaycasteel

2011 Kia Soul Wagon ! 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I am very disapointed that the Soul does not have automatic door locks. If I would have known that up front.....I would not have bought the car. The automatic door locks have been on my cars for the last 18 yrs and with children and a four door car I feal that; that is a must have. I also think that the insides scuff up real easy and its hard to come clean. The 2 cup holders in the middle are useless when you can only use one of them. If you put a 2nd drnik in the cup holder it gets caught on the console and spills all over the place. So your passenger has to hold there drink "fountain drink that is" The middle console is very small and sits to far back. I can't use it for an armrest.

Favorite Features

I like my leather seats, seat warmers ,radio, exterior color "dune", sun roof, and I like that both back sets lay down. Regardless of what anyone else says about the gas mileage.....I am getting around 30 miles a gallon in the city. I got 311 miles on one tank of gas.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic door locks.....please.

LOVE IT!!!
By emroozfarda

2011 Kia Soul Wagon Sport 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my return to college. Peppy off the line, GREAT on gas (280 miles on first tank), suprisingly roomy for passengers, chock full of features for the price. I've read it noisey at high speeds, NOT TRUE. Very comfortable simply FUN to drive. Definitely get the windows tinted. 95% of the negative comments about this car I did not experience. My previous car was employer provided and much more expensive. The Soul matches and beats it in most areas with the exception of power. The Soul is a 4-banger but gets up to speed when needed. If you are a racer, this car isnt for you. Otherwise this car is absolutely WONDERFUL.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry, push button start, Bluetooth handsfree cell phone pairing, Satellite radio, heated seats, colorful displays. Definitely get the Sport with leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

More rear storage space - the rear hatch area is lacking but the rear seats do fold forward for plenty of room. The only other change I would make is a larger engine - 2.3 or 2.5. It seems the car demands that for the people looking for peppier ride. For me, the 2.0 is fine.