Used 2011 Kia Soul Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Kia Soul - Consumer Reviews

2011 Kia Soul

View reviews for a specific Soul model:

18 Months... the Paint!!
By hamster_rider

2011 Kia Soul 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

So I've owned my Kia Soul for 18 months, still love driving it, maintenance is a no brainer, however, while washing it today I noticed a fine rusting (white car) on most panels, even the major plastic pieces!! I will be calling Monday for an appointment, I just am putting it out there for others to watch for, I live in Florida so no winter conditions here, no road salt etc. I will update after it gets looked at. Others have posted with paint issues, better safe I guess. The only problem with the car to date is the brake light switch at the pedal failed and it took the dealer 5 days to get me in to replace the switch, which of course was a warranty repair. So no brakes for 5 days

You don't drive the Soul; You WEAR it
By bill6505

2011 Kia Soul 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my base model Kia Soul in late May, 2011 and have put 8,800 miles on to date. Good value and fun to drive. Lots of room inside. The car is nimble and the brakes excellent. Biggest problem is driving it like a sports car, and forgetting that the vehicles around me can't stop as quickly under yellow lights.Gas mileage averaging 27.5 local, and 29.5 on trips Shape is unusual and draws comments and curiosity. Like the fact I can find it in a parking lot, because it doesn't look like a lot of other cars. ( I am a 68 year old male). This is my third Kia, if I count the 1992 Ford Festiva, which was made by Kia. Can't beat the value for the money. Quality and dependability good.

Favorite Features

Interior is spacious and offers good headroom for tall people. Great distance in back seat. Good handling and awesome brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Don't like the noise. Fuel pump is noisy, whine in the engine around 70 MPH. Dealer can't find. Nexen tires are poorly made and USA agents will not stand behind. Have replaced three of the four for crooked and noisy treads. Next time I will buy without tires, and have Michelins put on from the start. Rear pillars create blind spot. Wish it was another foot longer in back. No cruise control is a problem. Plastic trim inside scratches is you just look at it wrong.

EXCELLENT VALUE
By datzunzcar

2011 Kia Soul 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Kia on 8/01/11 and have put over 2700 miles on it. I have averaged 31 mpg on every tank of gas and am extremely pleased with my purchase. From the moment I purchased this car it has been easy to just get in and take off driving. Me and my three kids love it and they have plenty of room to stretch out and be comfortable. I never thought about owning a Kia until this car came out and I like the design and roominess inside. The price is excellent at only $13500 and the 10/100,000 mile warranty makes it even better. If you are looking for a quality automobile for a great price and standard features of higher priced cars look no further than the KIA SOUL as you will not be disappointed

Favorite Features

My Favorite feature would be the Satelite Radio and the great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I think would be either a six speed transmission for even better gas mileage and a little more power for quicker response for passing slower traffic.

Very Good Value
By pa_hiker

2011 Kia Soul 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My daughter purchased this this vehicle 3 weeks ago -- base with 1.6L and 5spd. I have driven it about 500 of the 2500 miles so far. On a trip from Michigan to Pennsylvania, we achieved 36.2 mpg over 600 miles. AC was on part of the time and there were two persons and back was loaded with cargo. I drove the posted speed of 70 most of the way and 65 in PA. Interior dash and controls are very nicely designed. I much prefer it to my 2008 Scion xB. Vehicle is very spacious, handles well, and is very practical. Driving position is ideal for shorter person, but room for large driver as well. Extensive safety features for a car in this price range. Purchase was painless at dealer.

Favorite Features

safety (air bags, anti lock brakes, traction control, etc. ) satellite radio, mpg, space, mp3, driving position, solid ride

Suggested Improvements

Add cruise to the base. All the other stuff that is added to the + is not really necessary.

A great little run about and a real value
By landric

2011 Kia Soul 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My wife & I traded our 2004 Dodge Caravan SE on a base model Soul. We bought the Caravan used in 2009 when we discovered the day before our twin sons were born that a rear facing car seat did not fit behind the driver's seat of our 2006 Matrix and still allow me enough room to drive. Last year we purchased a new 2009 Kia Sedona on clearance for a great price as our primary family vehicle. Because of our great experience with the Sedona, we decided to look at the Soul for an around town run about, primarily for my wife. We went with the base 1.6/5-Speed to maximize economy and value. With the owner loyalty rebate we paid less than $13,000, this little car is a fantastic value & fun!

Favorite Features

Lots of storage space, great fuel economy, excellent value for the money, peppy around town, even with the 1.6 liter engine, and a great warranty. This car has a lot of features that are optional on other base model entry level cars and it still undercuts them on price. It has a higher driving position and a much more roomy feel than most subcompact cars, and its looks, while somewhat funky, do grow on you. It has a fantastic array of safety features: airbags everywhere, 4-Wheel disc ABS, stability control, traction control, and great crash test ratings. It really is a great value!

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see the base model available in all the Soul colors (we got black and like it, but my wife really wanted the burnt orange). I'd also like cruise control and keyless entry, but none of that was a deal breaker for us.