Used 2014 Kia Sorento SUV Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Kia Sorento SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

Sorento 35K Miles Engine Gone! BUYER BEWARE
By Denise

2014 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased 2014 Kia Sorento in December of 2014. First three service jobs were completed at the dealership. On 9/9, I noticed smoke coming out tail pipe upon acceleration. Husband checked oil, said it was fine but said it needed changing. I knew I was about 2K over recommended oil change. Took to Jiffy Lube to have oil changed on Monday 9/12, when pulling into Jiffy Lube, smoke is billowing out the back of the car. They checked oil said there was no oil, never had a light to come on to indicate there was an issue. They put oil in it and I went straight to dealership.

After a 3 hour wait at dealership and the service manager being rude because I did not have an appointment, I was told my engine is gone it is burning oil due to sludge. I proceeded to tell them there shouldn't be any sludge I had oil changed every 5K miles or so. I did realize I was about 2K miles past my service. I was told the warranty would not cover engine because I was over the recommended mileage and to even be considered under warranty I would need to produce receipts for all service done on the car. My husband changed the oil the past three times and I did not have any receipts. I was then told warranty is null and void. I mentioned I received a letter a week earlier from Kia stating a known issue with the engines and the warranty had been extended. He said provide receipts where your husband changed the oil.

I contacted the owner of the dealership, he owns 5. Supposedly, he was out of town for a week and I was told the GM would call me. I never received a phone call from anyone. Needless, to say I traded within a few days. I LOVED my Sorento and had sent Kia of Auburn several customers after I purchased my car, one of which had to have her engine replaced. I will NEVER buy another Kia/Hyundai product and will share my experience with anyone and everyone that will listen!

fun but not reliable
By sam

2014 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

buy I new to get full 100K warranty or else it only a 60K warranty for used. problems i had with car blown rear differential and AWD coupling unit at around 68k miles or so. now I'm at 71k and the engine is starting to make a rattling noise. I love the look and feel of the car but it not reliable. the is my first and last time i will by a KIA

Engine Trouble
By PDK

2014 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased this 2014 pre- owned Sorento back in February for a particular reason and enjoyed this SUV very much until. The other day I incurred a major engine problem in which I found out that now it's notable enough that KIA just sent out a mass mailing stating that if you hear the engine knocking there could be problems with the Block, Crankshaft, Bearings, Connecting Rods and or Pistons. They describe it as ( This letter does not announce a service Campaign that requires mandatory repair on all vehicles. ) Another way of saying there will be no re-call. So if you have or get this problem with your KIA Sorento good luck. I am now in the process of finding out what they are going to do. When I first heard the noise I checked the oil only to find it dark brown and once wiped from the dip stick there was a burnt on mark evident of Engine ware. I would hope that KIA / Lester Glenn would do the right thing and purchase my vehicle back.

Most bang for your buck
By Jonathan Lambert

2014 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Honestly, this may well be the best car I have ever owned. There are only two areas I consider this vehicle lacking. Number one is driver legroom. I am well over 6 foot tall and getting older. I cannot move my legs to relieve the arthritis pain in my knees. The other thing is that it is a 4 cylinder engine. It does a very adequate job but I reckon it is that muscle car thing from my youth. I do not feel that it accelerates as quickly or easily as I would prefer. Rusty Wallace Kia is my dealer and they are on top of it in the service department. Very reasonably priced and they track your service to keep you current. I really like and rely on them to take care of my Kia. Yes, I would do it all over again.

Don't drive in two days, battery DEAD!!!
By John

2014 Kia Sorento SUV SXL 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

Better carry a battery charger with you